Author Topic: settings prosposal  (Read 3455 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: settings prosposal
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »
'instaboom'

just sayin

give it to me for one night and I'd shut that stuff up  :devil

we have "instaboom" we only use it when absolutely necessary, if at all.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 02:49:13 AM »
Without Channel 1, there is no way of knowing that a "new" player is tuned to 200.  The only way to know if they can see your message is to personal message that person.  Ask yourself this question:  How many times have you come into the AvA and found a new player on the roster in the country that is not enabled?

Okay, here is another example of why channel 1 is a good idea:  Recent posts talk about the mentoring of sorts of newcomers by AvA regulars.  The best way to do so is by example.  Have a good fight with an opponent for a very long time, something goes awry and you collide, his plane is streaking oil, and you seem to have avoided much damage.  You have no idea who the player is, or if he is tuned to 200.  Over channel one, you send a message:  "good fight (enter plane type), too bad about collision go land"  This type of behavior is what will bring folks back for more, and even though all of their experiences won't be the same, that one might stick in his mind as a high point.  Even better, finding himself in a generous position sometime in the future.

That is how you grow the population in my opinion.  The mute function works no matter what setting the arena has.  I am no saint either, and there are times that I wish that I had not opened my mouth / text buffer.

A reasonable compromise would be Channel 1 could be disabled if there were a CM present, who has warned the offenders that it would be shut off if they continued abusing it.  This sends a clear message and puts peer pressure on the abusers.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 06:04:31 AM »
Without Channel 1, there is no way of knowing that a "new" player is tuned to 200.  The only way to know if they can see your message is to personal message that person.  Ask yourself this question:  How many times have you come into the AvA and found a new player on the roster in the country that is not enabled?

Okay, here is another example of why channel 1 is a good idea:  Recent posts talk about the mentoring of sorts of newcomers by AvA regulars.  The best way to do so is by example.  Have a good fight with an opponent for a very long time, something goes awry and you collide, his plane is streaking oil, and you seem to have avoided much damage.  You have no idea who the player is, or if he is tuned to 200.  Over channel one, you send a message:  "good fight (enter plane type), too bad about collision go land"  This type of behavior is what will bring folks back for more, and even though all of their experiences won't be the same, that one might stick in his mind as a high point.  Even better, finding himself in a generous position sometime in the future.

That is how you grow the population in my opinion.  The mute function works no matter what setting the arena has.  I am no saint either, and there are times that I wish that I had not opened my mouth / text buffer.

A reasonable compromise would be Channel 1 could be disabled if there were a CM present, who has warned the offenders that it would be shut off if they continued abusing it.  This sends a clear message and puts peer pressure on the abusers.

Mentoring... Just  another way of telling people how you think they should be playing the game. Channel 1 is of utmost importance to two types of people. Those that want to harass others and those that think what they have to say is so important everyone needs to see it. The arena can flourish without both.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:52:34 AM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 07:20:08 AM »
Mentoring... Just  another way of telling people how you think they should be playing the game. Channel 1 is of utmost importance to two types of people. Those that want to harass others and those that think what they have to say is so important everyone needs to see it. The arena can flourish without both.
:lol hate to say it chilli but the crusty old guy is right...  :lol
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »
we have "instaboom" we only use it when absolutely necessary, if at all.

I WANT MY INSTABOOOM!!!!!

:furious
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »

100% agreement

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »
I'm good with that - rarely land anyway lol......

Dhryan, fwiw, had fun flying with and against LD yesterday.

Wurzel

Yeah Great evening

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 08:49:40 AM »
Chilli and others have a point here.

Channel 1 is useful. The question is, is it worth it?

My feeling is that there are other tools available, 200 and PM.

By far, most people are aware of 200, for those that aren't there is PM.

I wish channel 1 was enabled by default but de-tunable.

That way we would at least have the option.

Another consideration is that being forced to see cross country chat isn't right for those who seek maximum realism and immersion in their fighter pilot fantasy.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »
In case anybody cares for my vote

Kill it

If it was killed I'd detune 200.  Granted the guys on the other side may be 'friends' of mine or even squad mates but, when we're in the air, we're trying to kill each other in the most expeditious manner possible.  If I want to say something to someone on the other side I'd pm them.

Of course that's just one opinion of many.

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 09:02:28 AM »
When I enter any of the MAs, the first thing I do is:

/.squelch 1
/.squelch 6

I'll do the same for AvA.  Since 200 is opt-in, if you don't like what I have to say, you enjoy the same ability as any other arena in using /.squelch shane   :aok

And on a simliar note:  icons are also a toggable feature.... player choice and all that, right? I still think no icons only benefit friendlies in providing info that only encourages ganging and makes picking so much the easier for the friendly side. My stats are similar for both icon ad no-icon arenas. Put icons on and you'll probably see my AvA stats be better than my MA ones....   :airplane:  :joystick:  :ahand   ...make of that what you will.   :noid
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »
I think there are few raw AH2 n00bs that find their way to the AvA; most here know about 200.  But I also think there are many players that find their way into the AvA that don't frequent the LW arena and didn't NEED to have gotten used to tuning to 200 to talk across countries.  I say keep channel 1 active; if the LW ilk that can't control what they say and how they act can't change their attitude, we don't need them...do we?  What we need is fresh new faces that can conduct themselves as semi-mature adults.  I don't see mentoring or coaching "new" AvA players as telling them "fly our way or get out"; I see it as telling them "this arena is a little different from the others; we encourage good fights above 'anything for a kill' and other MA sweetheartbaggery".

Do I get frustrated when all I can find is 3+ versus me?  Sure, but that comes with more squads venturing in and requires me to figure out a new way to fight.  Do I get frustrated when all I can find is BnZ 109's? Sure, but then again they weren't exactly built for TnB...  Do I feel the need to act like an ultra melon?  Sometimes, but I usually pause for a few seconds before hitting the transmit key.  If my base is getting vulched, I'll mention something on channel 1 and up from another base or jump in a manned-gun or GV.  If my side is circling an enemy base, I'll suggest we back off to let the enemy get off the runway with some alt and speed.

I'm no saint, but do like good fights.  The thing is "good fights" is a very subjective term and means different things to different people.  If I feel that I'm not finding "good fights", I'll hang out in the tower and chill out for a while or exit and go elsewhere.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 09:15:34 AM »
What do these functions do?

/.squelch 1
/.squelch 6

EDIT: I found out channel 1 can be squelched as above.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:18:48 AM by jimson »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
What do these functions do?

/.squelch 1
/.squelch 6

EDIT: I found out channel 1 can be squelched as above.

1 = faux salutes in any arena (and enabled for chat in AvA, but not in MA)
6 = landed messages (in the MA it can really overwhelm the text buffer, but aside from that, I could care less who lands how many in whatever anyway)
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 09:30:53 AM »
So squelching channel one can eliminate seeing chat but will also eliminate seeing <S>?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »
shane: so i've been wasting all those .s shane on you? NICE!

<edit>we have the ability to kill the kill messages and channel 1, for what its worth.

personally, i when i get spanked by the same person over and over, i find it very frustrating to watch someone land 4-5 kills. shutting off kill messages wouldnt hurt my feeling any.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:45:07 AM by captain1ma »