Author Topic: Dam busters  (Read 830 times)

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Dam busters
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:05:17 AM »
I found the info interesting and worth sharing  :aok

* The British developed highly specialized bombs for certain missions. The most famous of these was the "Upkeep" bouncing bomb, used for the attacks performed by the elite Royal Air Force (RAF) 617 Squadron on the Moehne, Eder, and Sorpe dams on the night of 16:17 May 1943. The Upkeep weapon was designed by Dr. Barnes Wallis, who had been trained as a structural engineer but turned to aircraft and weapons engineering, becoming well known for his geodetic-framed Vickers Wellington bomber.

Upkeep was really a kind of depth charge, and its operation reflected Wallis's knowledge of structures and their weaknesses. It was designed as a 4.2 tonne (9,250 pound) drum, and was carried underneath a modified Lancaster heavy bomber. The bomb was given a 500 RPM backspin before it was released at low altitude over the surface of the water, in front of a dam. It would then skip over the water, run into the surface of the dam, roll down its face, and explode at a predetermined depth. Confinement of the explosion to the face of the dam by water pressure multiplied the effect of the blast.

The bombs breached the Moehne and Eder dams. The actual military usefulness of this action is still debated, but the Upkeep weapon worked precisely as designed, even though nothing like it had been done before.

http://www.vectorsite.net/twbomb_01.html#m2
now posting as SirNuke

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dam busters
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
I am a spy!

Offline Jag34

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »
 :x :x :airplane: :rofl :rofl :lol Way to funny. Loved it

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
 :cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline outbreak

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:14:37 AM »
Well we need Dam's First =], Bust the dam flood say what 2.5 sectors downstream? any airfield,Vfield or port in the way is flooded for 30 mins preventing Takeoff, Landing, Resupply lol only thing that would work is an LTV =]  :rock :rock :rock :joystick: :joystick:

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 06:28:03 AM »
hey this is not a wish, but you guys can bump one if you want. The article I linked has some details I didn't heard off before.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 07:08:11 AM »
You know there was a movie in 1955 called Dam busters. There is talk of a remake.

One of the actors, Richard Todd, was one of those that parachuted into France on D-Day.

Link to 617 Sqd, http://www.thedambusters.org.uk/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:10:04 AM by MiloMorai »

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.