Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
i fill my tank up once a week. i drive 8 miles each way to work. i then drive 17 miles to work in philly. once a week, i drive 40 miles each way to mcguire afb.
 i would need to plug in at each place to be assured of being able to make the trips. a lot of my driving is night driving.

i often travel extensive distances to purchase parts for my hot rods. i drove to hershey pa recently to buy parts for my fairmont. with this car, i'd have had to stay there, and charge for nearly 87 hours before i could come home.

bad idea.

Why?  You have 200 miles to work with.  When you drive makes no difference, other than the headlights.  Again, you seem to put forth many non-sequiturs.

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2011, 10:14:58 AM »
A friend of mine got a Leaf.  It only lasts about 80 miles (from a full charge) at freeway speeds.  He has returned it as he was getting paranoid about being dead on the side of the road all the time.  No one needs that stress added to their lives.

It is a shame the EPA practically blocks all diesel engine based cars, as the Mini Diesel gets over 75MPG and is slightly quicker than the base Mini.  I would be happy to pay 30% more for fuel, and get 50% better gas mileage.  Seems like a win to me.

so basically, in a leaf, driving at night, i couldn't make the round trip to and from mcguire without plugging it in at each stop.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »
Sorry Skuzzy.... :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:38:21 AM by Reschke »
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
tesla claims a 200 mile range.

the top gear dorks found differently.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l4RQoc4zM4
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2011, 10:37:03 AM »
In Nissans defense, there seems to be some software bugs causing the battery usage to either be higher than it should be, or the meter being incorrect as to what is left of the charge in the batteries.

However, I think pulling into any commercial business and asking if you can borrow some electricity would be met with some negative results.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2011, 10:37:41 AM »
A friend of mine got a Leaf.  It only lasts about 80 miles (from a full charge) at freeway speeds.  He has returned it as he was getting paranoid about being dead on the side of the road all the time.  No one needs that stress added to their lives.

It is a shame the EPA practically blocks all diesel engine based cars, as the Mini Diesel gets over 75MPG and is slightly quicker than the base Mini.  I would be happy to pay 30% more for fuel, and get 50% better gas mileage.  Seems like a win to me.

That is just sad to hear. I know the same thing limited the Volkswagen Touareg TDI powered SUV they were going to bring over here as well. I have a friend in Germany that has one and it gets similar fuel mileage to my old bosses diesel powered 530 series BMW wagon and his bosses Audi A8 D3 series with a 4.0L V8 TDI. We drove in a small convoy from Warstein, Germany to Munich with those two cars. The Audi averaged around 35mpg on the Autobahn...at 200Kmh average driving speed over that trip.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:31 AM »
I heard of this freaky little inline 3 cylinder car which got 70 mpg.

-Penguin

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
Next thing you'll hear about is electric powered race cars :noid
Tours 86 - 296

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »
Next thing you'll hear about is electric powered race cars :noid

google pass time. if you remember that show, it was a spin off from pinks. there was a guy with an electric dragster. the motor would fit in the trunk of my geo. he ran a mid 8 second pass if i recall.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2011, 11:05:11 AM »
"I think they call that "supply and demand"... Enviromentalist
types tend to leave that out."

No. The real problem is big oil apologists like to turn a blind eye to the
efforts by big oil to suppress alternative energy sources (Example:
Chevron and the lithium battery).  Nothing will change until they've
squeezed this lemon dry and then they'll provide a solution that they're
been sitting on and which will continue to provide them with insanely
big profits.

"... put gas back UNDER a dollar a gallon..."

Where would the 45billion per year profit be in that?

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »
"I think they call that "supply and demand"... Enviromentalist
types tend to leave that out."

No. The real problem is big oil apologists like to turn a blind eye to the
efforts by big oil to suppress alternative energy sources (Example:
Chevron and the lithium battery).  Nothing will change until they've
squeezed this lemon dry and then they'll provide a solution that they're
been sitting on and which will continue to provide them with insanely
big profits.

"... put gas back UNDER a dollar a gallon..."

Where would the 45billion per year profit be in that?

If you are refering to Exxon/Mobil that 45billion translated to about a 9% profit. Ive got mutual funds that have made more than 9% in a year. Its all how you spin it.
Coca Cola has had a profit margin of 25%
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:52:33 AM by NormH3 »

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2011, 11:44:25 AM »
I remember pulling into a gas station last summer and seeing them changing the price on the signs. I stupidly asked, "Did you get a new delivery?" The gas station owner had the balls to tell me, "No, I was told to raise the price because everyone else is. I don't get a delivery until next week."

Sadly, I don't even blame the gas stations, they are just the end of a very corrupt chain.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:45:56 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »
That's called price fixing, and he should be in jail.

-Penguin

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »
I remember pulling into a gas station last summer and seeing them changing the price on the signs. I stupidly asked, "Did you get a new delivery?" The gas station owner had the balls to tell me, "No, I was told to raise the price because everyone else is. I don't get a delivery until next week."

Sadly, I don't even blame the gas stations, they are just the end of a very corrupt chain.

this is another problem we run into.

most people i deal with in the gas industry around here are russians, and/or indians.

whereas when americans had more control, the typical price wars would take place. if my station was a little slow, i'd drop my price as much as i could afford to get people to come to me, rather than you. then you'd do the same. kept things affordable.

now, the indians seem to be of the attitude of we're gonna hafta buy it somewhere, regardless of the price, so they all keep it about the same. then add to that that most of them own many more than one station. in the case of the pumps out front here....that guy owns 8 stations. his uncle owns 10. his father owns 6 or 7.

makes it pretty easy to see why there aren't those price wars anymore.

and of course didn't oil not used to be traded on the market? if so, whos genius idea was it to start doing that?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
I bought diesel the other night for my Lt Truck and the new price is $4.05 / gallon. I live in California and the oil companies were forced to lower
the Sulfur content some years ago. After the legislation was passed the price for diesel became more expensive than
gasoline, even though diesel is way way less expensive to manufacture. I get about 20 to 21 miles/gallon on the highway and there is
no way I could get that kind of mileage out of a gasoline engine.

As far as electric cars go, I plan to get one in the near future. Our local electric company charges us with a tiered system based on
what they think a house should consume in a given area. When you get into the 2nd and 3rd tiers, rates really go up. Thus, it will
be necessary to get electric panels to keep our house from getting into the 2nd and 3rd tiers. Every two or three years
the solar panel drop 1/2 in price so they are becoming more affordable. Instead of paying the local electric company, you could be
making payments to the finance company that helped you buy the solar panels. In my area, the monthly payment would be almost
the same as the utility bill over a 5 year period.

The Nissan Leaf, the Ford Focus Electric, and the Mitsubishi Whatchamacallit all get about 100 miles before a recharge. I'm sure Nissan will
get the software bugs worked out. The GM Volt is different. The gasoline engine comes on to recharge the batteries once you've gone
the 40 or so miles. It is not quite a hybrid as it can be plugged in to recharge and it's full range is over 400 miles if the tank is full.

As far as Lithium goes, half of the world's reserve sits in Bolivia. The rest will be mined in China, Chile, and Argentina. There have been
large reserves discovered in Afghanistan as well. If only a few players control the Lithium, the price can skyrocket when demand increases
for electric cars. Other technologies to store power will have to be developed. Lots of companies are working on a Supercapacitor for use
in automobiles, but that is years away. Supercapacitors could be fully charged in a few minutes. Lithium batteries can take 20 to 30 hours to charge
with 110 v, 4 or so hours with 220 v, and half an hour or less using 440 volts.

Electric cars will work if you have a short commute to work and if you go the solar panel route. As electric usage goes up, so will the electric rates.

Oil companies need the competition if they hope to survive. There is not an infinite supply of petroleum in the ground.
As more electric cars appear on the road, soon gas stations will offer charging stations. The higher voltages will allow the vehicles to be
charged in a reasonable amount of time. The government rebates also help get the initial cost of the car down.

The large automobile companies really don't want to build electric cars because they don't wear out. The electric engine has very few moving
parts, unlike the internal combustion engine that can wear out after 200 to 300 thousand miles. The electric Bart Trains where I live have been in service
since 1972 and are still running. How long will your electric car run? GM, Ford, Chrysler, or any other car manufacture really don't want to find out.

It is worth your time to read more about the electric cars. Tesla says their Roadster costs about 2 cents per mile to operate, but 110 thousand dollars
is a bit pricey. They plan on selling their S model ( 50 grand) in 2012, and another less expensive model (30 grand) 2 years after that. They are making a
mistake.They should skip the Model S and start manufacturing the less expensive model while government rebates are being offered. They are going to
miss their window.

Alright, I have said enough.

:salute
Mano
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)