Author Topic: Armoured Company  (Read 344 times)

Offline Thog

• Zinc Member
Armoured Company
« on: October 13, 2000, 12:16:00 AM »
Ok, I realize this is a long shot, but what would the interest be in helping me form an Armoured Company?

Basically I'm thinking of something like a squad that specializes in armor and CAS to assault and flatten anything from vehical bases and airfields to HQ's and cities.  The current map makes vehicals less tedious to use, and the time to target is faster now than high-alt buffs.

As a ratio metric, figure a platoon of 3-4 Panzers, an Ostwind, a couple M16's and a couple M3's.  If we had enough people on squad night we could add another platoon of Panzers (3) and a smattering of support.  Maybe 2 Tempests or other CAS-capable aircraft.  

In WB when I flew with the Haze (100th FBG) we could get 8-15 people on a squad night and take any base we went after.  If you got 8-12 people in tanks plus support, and you all went for one field as a unit, you could create absolute havoc in short order.  At the least we'd encourage other folks to start thinking along combined arms lines, instead of using vehicals randomly.

My philosophy on squads is that on squad night (whenever that would be) we plan assignments and go after an objective, with enough practice to be compentent at it.  At any other time you're free to fly whatever you want and do whatever you like.  Not fixated on a particular AH side.  I fly rooks because straight-forward-smash-make-flat is my personality, and the chess piece does that.  <G>  But I'm flex.

I'm thinking a name like "Kampfgruppe Thog" or "Heavy Metal Brigade" or "Panzers'R'Us" or "Rolling Thunder" or "The Tagmata" or "Look at the size of THIS!!"... but I'm open to suggestions.

That's the basic thought that Thog has rattling around his brain like a pea in a can.  Anyone interested?

Thog

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Armoured Company
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2000, 10:06:00 AM »
Click the link below to the 15th Panzer division...we haven't had a mission for a couple of months, maybe we can get folks interested again....

------------------
Ripsnort(-rip1-)
=CO= VMF-323 ~Death Rattlers~
Aces High First Training Corp
"Know your limits and then go beyond.."
Click here for VMF-323 Death Rattlers info
Click here for 15th Panzer info
Click here for interviews with other Aces High Squadrons

"If you cannot learn to do something well,
learn to enjoy doing it poorly"

Offline Thog

• Zinc Member
Armoured Company
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
Thanks Ripsnort.  I'm not sure this is what I had in mind though.  This isn't so much a squad as a conglomeration of players who occasionally do squad things.  I was hoping for something a little tighter.  Also looks like allot of the activities are outside the MA?

In anycase, given the lack of response, I think I have my answer on the interest level.  Pity really.  I guess treadheads are waiting for WWIIOL.

Thog

Non Illegitimi Carborundum est