Author Topic: What defeated the japs?  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: What defeated the japs?
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
They're appetite was bigger than their stomach!

The Japanese were doomed from the outset of war. They didn't have a hope in hell of eating the buffet they had ordered! They should have been content with their gains in china and waited years before trying to belly up to the adult buffet  :aok

JUGgler

By that logic,

GODZILLA was a post war manifestation of Japan's Pre war and early war desires expressed in a lizard that gets himself in too deep and subsequently has his bellybutton kicked.

But seriously, F4F and FM2 did the hard part.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Aircraft was a piece of the puzzle, but not the whole enchilada.

What defeated the Japanese was technology.

Allies had standard semi-automatic rifles, the Japanese were still using the bolt action (and antiquated) Arisaka.
Allies had more and better machine guns.
Allies had flame-throwers.
Allies had more and better designed hand grenades.
Allies had proximity fuses in their AAA on board ships.
Allies had already pretty much broken the Japanese radio code.
Allies had reliable sources of raw materials and the technology to get them to manufacturers.

There's a lot more but the Japanese literaly thought that they could wage a war in the 1940's with 1920's and 1930's technology.  The DID work some technology into their newer planes and ships but it was too little too late.  They also ran out of experienced pilots by early 1944, some say even earlier.

It's hard to win any conflict in a great tank ---against an enemy that can easily fire on the fly as well as ID you with night vision if you have neither.

The sheer doggedness, loyalty, and tenacity of the Japanese soldier is what made up for many shortcomings in technology, but could never make up for the lack of technology versus the B-29 and an atomic bomb.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
uh actually, they threw in the towel against the soviets...well documented...just sayin.
duhh the USSR defeated japan in 1945

Only on this forum can I have the joy of seeing a tongue-in-cheek movie reference turned history lesson be pulled apart and critiqued.  And for the record the hornet's nest was Pearl Harbor/USA.  So they had yet to throw in the towel against the Soviets and it wasn't 1945 yet...just sayin :noid
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2011, 05:54:46 PM »
I want my hook back when you are done with it... just sayin  :noid

:D
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »
F6F had the bulk of the kills...............

38s got Yamamoto. :D

Beat ya to it.   :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
Ok, i need your help.  My dad and brother are arguing with me on what U.S. fighter defeated the japs.  They both said the P-51.  I disagree to a certain extent and said the F4U did.  What is the answer.  (ack-ack and/or krusty will be by to answer this) 

They would both be wrong, it was the B29 and specifically the Atom Bomb.......     :t

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
They would both be wrong, it was the B29 and specifically the Atom Bomb.......     :t

The atom bomb only hastened the ending of the war with Japan. The war was actually won for all practical purposes with the capture of Okinawa, The real turning point in the Pacific was the Japanese defeat at Midway. (who was it that said Strawberry 5?)
 Japan has no real natural resources, and  once it had lost control of it's supply lines it was pretty much done.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:59 PM »
     The Japanese were beaten long before the A-bombs were dropped.  They just gave Hirohito an excuse to throw
in the towel.  Sorry Sik, you posted as I did  :D

It's not so much that the Russians beat the Japanese as kicked them when they were down.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
    The Japanese were beaten long before the A-bombs were dropped.  They just gave Hirohito an excuse to throw
in the towel.  Sorry Sik, you posted as I did  :D

It's not so much that the Russians beat the Japanese as kicked them when they were down.

Yes, in fact the Soviets didn't declare war on Japan until near the end of the war, and through most of the war seemed as if they didn't want to anger the Japanese.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:54 PM »
Marines.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2011, 12:08:18 AM »
if you were to believe my great Uncles stories he defeated the Japs single handedly on the Kokoda track.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2011, 01:34:02 AM »
if you were to believe my great Uncles stories he defeated the Japs single handedly on the Kokoda track.

Considering the brawl the Aussies won on that trail, I'd be hard pressed not to believe him.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:53 AM »

I would say that the B29 and the lower level fire bombing did more damage then then nooks...

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2011, 03:25:40 AM »
Which plane? F6F, hands down.
Which main reason:
1 The japanese failed to knock down the pacific fleet
2 That allowed the US to wage war while building up an arsenal that Japan could never compete with.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2011, 03:41:13 AM »
Marines.

My Asss Rides In Navy Equipment

and incidently they did not win the Pacific war. I believe this did.

The Marine is only useful with his rifle. and an M1 with a full clip of 30.6 will put a stop to a Japanese soldier's antics.

"The finest battlefield implement ever devised" - George Patton
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"