Author Topic: Hit Sprites  (Read 1670 times)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
Re: Hit Sprites
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »
Wasn't there some business about an upgraded damage model a while ago? I may be mistaken as I have been away for a while.

Its possible if its ever upgraded that new hit sprites will come with it. 

If I remember right they did an upgrade damage model, or experimented with it...? Mainly it changed the read-out when pressing Ctrl-D by making it simpler.
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »
personnally i think the hit sprites are just fine the way they are......besides and you can count on this just as soon as they make them smaller,somebody's gonna start hollering that they are too small,and hard to see,and can't tell if they are getting hits.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
No no, not smaller.  They will stay the same size no matter how far away from someone you are.  This means you will always see them the same.

This will work better, in my opinion, because it will still emulate brightness of the flash, but at the same time will retain quality in pictures and videos.  Right now, the hit sprites look rather silly when in still-frame... :(
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline GNucks

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
No no, not smaller.  They will stay the same size no matter how far away from someone you are.  This means you will always see them the same.

This will work better, in my opinion, because it will still emulate brightness of the flash, but at the same time will retain quality in pictures and videos.  Right now, the hit sprites look rather silly when in still-frame... :(

Like say a sprite is only 10 pixels in diameter no matter what range you are from it? Kinda' like the icons on the clipboard map don't change in size when you zoom in and out.

Rebel - Inactive
An amateur trains until he gets it right, a professional until he can't get it wrong.
vf-17.webuda.com

Offline SouthLanda

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »
I think the sprites are like this because when AH came out, it was really pushing the graphics engine / graphics card hardware for the time and it was a compromise of performance.

With my current PC runnning 1900x1600 at 4X AA with 16X AAF at 40-60 FPS, there is probly scope to have more accurate machine gun hit sprites.

What I would request to see, is that my hits dance all over the area I hit at 1/60th of a second duration. That would be more like the guncan footage I have seen to an extent.

Game ID: SthLanda

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »
eh i think there is so much more they can do with this game.. The sprites dont bother me really...... was just saying really if there was a way to make them smaller or something but really no big deal

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »
eh i think there is so much more they can do with this game.. The sprites dont bother me really...... was just saying really if there was a way to make them smaller or something but really no big deal

I agree, I will say though, it is the little things that can make or break a game visually now days.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D