Author Topic: dear aces high  (Read 17605 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: dear aces high
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2011, 07:03:49 AM »
IN. This thread looks A LOT like flamebait. I'm surprised Skuzzy hasn't already come in here with four feet of rubber hose. Besides, we've already been over this topic ad nauseum.

For the record, I don't see how DMGod can be labelled a cheat since he was operating WITHIN THE RULES of the game. If you don't like that, then you need to look at changing the rules. I'd suggest that's a better line of approach than changing the definition of cheating.

I'd also start a thread about selective and whimsical enforcement but I don't want to get smacked with four feet of rubber hose... (the truly fun thing about the forum, imj).
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2011, 07:16:38 AM »
This is the only reasonable fix to the issue of CV swiping.

A video description of the "fix".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=related

Skuzzy, please be gentle....

:bolt:
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2011, 07:18:43 AM »
This is the only reasonable fix to the issue of CV swiping.

A video description of the "fix".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0&feature=related

Skuzzy, please be gentle....

:bolt:

:uhoh
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2011, 08:06:55 AM »
A Page 15 idea for a change:

Do not count CVs towards base counts. Removes one incentive. I do not know how to deal with the denial of use argument.

On Lusche's idea to start a death timer once the port is taken, how much time? The length of time would have to be longer than a typical session to be reasonable, say three hours. Another detail is the difference between night and day. What is good for primetime would be too short for the night shift. Otherwise a good idea.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2011, 08:09:56 AM »
Who says you have to use THAT particular CV to take the base back?  Why on earth wouldn't you pull the one that could potentially become an enemy weapon and put forth one that will respawn for your country.  Seems counter-intuitive and sounds like a lot of people wanting other people to play the way they want them to play.
Pretty sure when HTC designed this awesome game they wanted to promote WW2 combat.....Think it was Hitech who said he likes to put choke points on a map. Carriers spawn combat when one side starts using it to capture a field.....who knows maybe there isnt another cv for sectors in the area...why not use the Carrier...its down time isnt long at all and its protective ack can be used to defend the field even after its down......there is only 1 reason I can see why this might not make sense, it counts as an airfield.

Make them and the port worth 1 airfield....problem solved
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline RobMo68

• Nickel Member
      • Pigs On The Wing
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »
Pretty sure when HTC designed this awesome game they wanted to promote WW2 combat.....Think it was Hitech who said he likes to put choke points on a map. Carriers spawn combat when one side starts using it to capture a field.....who knows maybe there isnt another cv for sectors in the area...why not use the Carrier...its down time isnt long at all and its protective ack can be used to defend the field even after its down......there is only 1 reason I can see why this might not make sense, it counts as an airfield.

Make them and the port worth 1 airfield....problem solved

I don't think it'll work that way Junky, the PORT and the CV are separately supplied in the supply chain from the Strats, even though the CV spawns at it's port!

Now, maybe if HT linked the CV's Supply to it's Port, and say if someone porks Ords at the Port, CV gets no bombs, VH is down at Port no GV can spawn from CV, and/or PORT is captured CV is not spawnable for planes or GV's, and you'll only be able to man the guns, but ammo will be restricted to say maybe half, and when ammo runs out, CV will be HIGHLY vulnerable to air attack or another CV attacking it, etc.

That might make for a better solution, to counter those that like to hide CV's, sure go ahead and hide it, but it'll be useless to you if you lose the port, and THAT SHOULD put a premium on PORT/CV defence, in the first place!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:02:44 AM by RobMo68 »
Speed68a
Special Forces Wing: POTW nUb:"Get outta my mud, biotch"

+~WARPIGS RACING~+
ERL S3R9 Winner

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
Ok so now we are getting down to the nitty gritty. Switching sides to report back is breaking the rules. How about if the rooks are hiding a cv, and as a long time rook I would rather see the cv in play, could I report the cv location to anyone on 200? I haven't switched sides and as my own little general I can do with the cv like I want like any other little general right?

Crash, if a little general ran one "our" cvs into an enemy spawn point I'd be ok with that, at least he using it in a fight, which is what it is supposed to be used for.

As it is everyone should have the ability to use their teams equipment any way they see fit. Nobodies "plan" or "mission" is more important than the other guys. If we had a "supreme leader" running each country I could see it, but we don't

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2011, 09:20:22 AM »
Ok so now we are getting down to the nitty gritty. Switching sides to report back is breaking the rules. How about if the rooks are hiding a cv, and as a long time rook I would rather see the cv in play, could I report the cv location to anyone on 200? I haven't switched sides and as my own little general I can do with the cv like I want like any other little general right?

You'll get mass reported and kick banned according to the non told rules. An they will slip GHB in your turtle's water.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2011, 09:28:08 AM »
Ok so now we are getting down to the nitty gritty. Switching sides to report back is breaking the rules. How about if the rooks are hiding a cv, and as a long time rook I would rather see the cv in play, could I report the cv location to anyone on 200?

Fugitive, I ask this seriously - is there actually a rule that says such conduct is prohibited?
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
After dying dozens of times trying to sink our CV last night, vBOOM started a PM convo ending with, "when I sign off I am going to switch to Rook and report all your cv locations."

Maybe you vGuys should police your own squad first before you start policing others.
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
How about this as a solution...

Each side has a set number of CVs on any given map.  They are not capturable.  Ports feed supplies/repairs to the CVs.  Each CV gets its supplies from the closest friendly port and respawns at the forward most port that a country owns.

If a port is captured, the country who lost the port has a longer supply chain so repairs take longer.  If their CV is sunk they don't lose it, it simply respawns at the next closest port to the front lines.  

If a country loses all of their ports and their CVs are sunk, they do not respawn until they capture or recapture a port.

No more hiding the other sides CVs.  Ports are still worth taking.  Not much of a reason to hide your own CV because the enemy can't take it away from you, so you might as well use it to attack something.

Just an idea.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 09:47:03 AM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2011, 09:44:43 AM »
Well Pj, untill yesterday I didn't think you could be muted for switching countries and reporting one much like DMGOD did, and I've been here almos 10 years, so that's why I'm trying to get clarification here.

Everyone has been telling me the game has changed and I had no choice other than to accept that if I wish to keep playing the game. So I am trying to learn the "rules".

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »
DMGOD wrote
To the best of my knowledge NO WHERE IS IT STATED (prior to ur post from today) that my actions where considered cheating by HTC. As I have stated in my last post, HAD I KNOWN IT WAS CONSIDERED CHEATING BY HTC, I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE WHAT I DID. So you sir (hitech) posted that if I'd stop insinuating and admit to what I did you would mute me. Being an honest individual and (despite what the majority of people think of me) a man I, told you the truth ( from what I understand I could have kept my big mouth shut and avoided a mute and the character abuse i took afterwords ) and welcomed my punishment.

Are you serious? You think we don’t show the enemy side where the CV’s are when we show all the other fields is because we expect people to jump sides and tell their old country where the CV”s are?

If you really thought it was perfectly OK did you announce it on channel 200? I assume you see CV locations stated on 200 almost every hour or so? 2nd using the excuse that other people did it is obviously an invalid argument.

I may be wrong but my guess is your side owned the port and wanted to capture the CV. You didn’t know where it was so you cheated and changed sides to find it. And you really believe this is perfectly ok?

Noir wrote
Allowing to use .report for something that is not related to text abuse is downright dangerous for the game IMO. This can be abused by large groups of players to get there own way in the arena, and it will be hard to actually decide if its abuse of the command or not.

It is very related to text channel. Or did DMGOD not use chat to tell his country where things were. The point is you must SEE some one typing it to report them, not just suspect them.

It is 100% the same as typing on open channel when and where a  mission is launching. So why have any fog of war if it is completely legit to tell everyone what the other side is doing?

PJ Godzilla wrote

Fugitive, I ask this seriously - is there actually a rule that says such conduct is prohibited?

Yes, it is why the CV’s are not show to enemy countries. Fairly obvious I would say. But then again, Ive never seen in a rule in a book of poker, that you can not look at the other mans cards when he is away getting a bear.

HiTech

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »
After dying dozens of times trying to sink our CV last night, vBOOM started a PM convo ending with, "when I sign off I am going to switch to Rook and report all your cv locations."

Maybe you vGuys should police your own squad first before you start policing others.

This is hilarious. I guess you'd call the behavior in question childish or bad sportsmanship but, in the end, it's a tempest in a virtual teapot. For a little perspective, consider how much impact the survival of that CV has on anyone's life. I mean, I fly and fight. Sometime I get killed, sometimes I kill. If a CV sinks, I don't really give a rip. I think it's both funny that somebody would stoop like this but I'm also (less) amused that you're upset by it. Sometimes you just need to let the baby have the bottle.

I wonder if the vDude in question likes to watch parades? If so, you know he's focused on watching the band that has to march behind the horses.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

PJ Godzilla wrote

Yes, it is why the CV’s are not show to enemy countries. Fairly obvious I would say. But then again, Ive never seen in a rule in a book of poker, that you can not look at the other mans cards when he is away getting a bear.

HiTech

Yes, this makes solid intuitive sense. Your point regarding basically honorable conduct is valid too. I didn't know if such was expected in the forums or not but it makes decent business sense to provide a framework for good sportsmanship in play.

Perhaps we need something like the USTA has - a player Code of Conduct (aka "the Code" - but not that code)..? I'm not going to advance the notion that it would change anyone's behavior. The upside to it would be that it would make it very clear when a violation occurred. At the same time, I recognize that this is very likely a low priority, given that you have total discretion for punishing the miscreant involved.

Given that the only rule problem I have was isolated to this forum I guess I'd rather have the 410 before a Code of Conduct.

Thanks for checking in on this hot topic. I appreciate it when any exchnage of this nature gets some facts thrown at it.