Author Topic: dear aces high  (Read 17584 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: dear aces high
« Reply #345 on: March 03, 2011, 05:38:58 AM »
Wow long thread....

I always assumed "Cheating" was limitted to a code hack.  Learn something new everyday.

That would make 2 of us.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #346 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46:41 AM »
Well, HiTech/Skuzzy, there you go. I sought, early in this thread, to get the factual question of what constitutes cheating resolved. You have now clarified the issue with regard to CV betrayal. Your position on this surprised several people who WEREN'T aware that such a thing would be defined as a cheat, since it was not proscribed by any written or coded set of rules. Now they're asking if there are further rules of which we are currently unaware.

This whole thing  screams for a code of conduct, unfortunately, because what's obvious to you is apparently not obvious to everyone else. In fact, I'd solicit the user base for those rules, since editing is always easier than composing and they, as users, have doubtless encountered every "code" situation possible. Perhaps you could have a subtopic here for submissions..? This would have the added advantage of giving the user base some ownership over the code  - yet would retain your dicretionary oversight. That way they own it but it isn't some ridicuolously democratic form (note the little d - I'm not violating the rule on politics, thus) of institutionalized mob rule. Ask the ancient Greeks how that one worked out, as an aside.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #347 on: March 03, 2011, 08:15:10 AM »
Well, HiTech/Skuzzy, there you go. I sought, early in this thread, to get the factual question of what constitutes cheating resolved. You have now clarified the issue with regard to CV betrayal. Your position on this surprised several people who WEREN'T aware that such a thing would be defined as a cheat, since it was not proscribed by any written or coded set of rules. Now they're asking if there are further rules of which we are currently unaware.

This whole thing  screams for a code of conduct, unfortunately, because what's obvious to you is apparently not obvious to everyone else. In fact, I'd solicit the user base for those rules, since editing is always easier than composing and they, as users, have doubtless encountered every "code" situation possible. Perhaps you could have a subtopic here for submissions..? This would have the added advantage of giving the user base some ownership over the code  - yet would retain your dicretionary oversight. That way they own it but it isn't some ridicuolously democratic form (note the little d - I'm not violating the rule on politics, thus) of institutionalized mob rule. Ask the ancient Greeks how that one worked out, as an aside.

I submit to you that the disclosure of the  location of a CV is obviously against the rules to everyone. The only thing people are trying to argue is that going against the rules is worth it, if someone is not using the CV the way you wish.

What you are asking for is really again very simple and akin to what most people learn in kindergarten. I.E. Play nice. If a person hasn't learned that simple lesson , no code of conduct would make any difference to them.

The end result would be people who abuse the system now would then still do the same, only now try use the excuse, "But it's not precisely in the C.O.C.".

HiTech

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2011, 08:21:58 AM »
So hiding a CV for the sake of "base count" (even tho they call it denying the enemy it's resourses) is playing nice.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #349 on: March 03, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
Fair enough, announcing cv locations are frowned upon.
So that you are clear, we can still go on the side that coincidentally may be hiding a cv and wait out the allotted time and come back on our own to kill the cv that is hidden as long as there are no announcements of said cv location, correct?

Lawd knows we dont want to respond to lame game play with something mo' lamerer....

You quote Hitech stating explicitly that you cannot change sides to find a CV and you read it as stating that you can change sides to find a CV.  Let me help you. You are not correct. You are wrong.  You cannot change sides, note the position of the CVs, change back, and sink those CVs. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #350 on: March 03, 2011, 08:41:23 AM »
So hiding a CV for the sake of "base count" (even tho they call it denying the enemy it's resourses) is playing nice.
What do you want?

HiTech is responding personally on these forums. I have never played a game where players have access to the owner/programmer/head bottle washer like we all have in Aces High.

All players have opinions on what makes the game fun. Some are motivated to hide a carrier. They have the same sense of entitlement as you. You can't have it your way all the time.

<Cleansing breath>

One solution is to remove cvs from the base count. Just count the ports. Then the only rationale for hiding a task group would be denial of service.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #351 on: March 03, 2011, 09:11:33 AM »
I find it interesting that Fugitive's question has gone unanswered.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #352 on: March 03, 2011, 09:19:32 AM »
never mind, wrong thread
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:22:22 AM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #353 on: March 03, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »
I submit to you that the disclosure of the  location of a CV is obviously against the rules to everyone. The only thing people are trying to argue is that going against the rules is worth it, if someone is not using the CV the way you wish.

What you are asking for is really again very simple and akin to what most people learn in kindergarten. I.E. Play nice. If a person hasn't learned that simple lesson , no code of conduct would make any difference to them.

The end result would be people who abuse the system now would then still do the same, only now try use the excuse, "But it's not precisely in the C.O.C.".

HiTech

I'm not going to haggle with you on this mainly because I haven't got a dog in this fight. I suspect others might, though - fugi already has.

As for the CoC, yes, it is as you say. I already stated, when I first proposed it, that it won't change behavior. Instead, I see it as a customer sat thing - the perps won't be able to allege selective enforcement.

In any case, it is a VERY GOOD thing to have you respond here, speaking of customer sat.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #354 on: March 03, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »
Thank-you for a clear and concise answer.
I find it interesting that Fugitive's question has gone unanswered.

Funny how Fugitive disagrees with you.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #355 on: March 03, 2011, 09:57:38 AM »
I think he might be referring to my question about "hiding cvs" being playing nice.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #356 on: March 03, 2011, 10:15:46 AM »
Exactly. :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #357 on: March 03, 2011, 10:27:33 AM »
Aces High sure is a fun game to play.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #358 on: March 03, 2011, 10:37:29 AM »
I think he might be referring to my question about "hiding cvs" being playing nice.

Then you should have a question mark on your statement.  :D

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #359 on: March 03, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
No politics yes please.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:55:14 PM by bangsbox »