Author Topic: CV suggestion (from another thread)  (Read 1154 times)

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
Re: CV suggestion (from another thread)
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
so if we could hit these ships,a person could effectively shut down a cv?
Kommando Nowotny "Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 12:00:14 AM »
I hate to rain on your parade but this never really happened.

First as a bit of background for years I've been thinking of returning to my childhood and building a model but unlike when I was a kid I wanted to do it in a very detailed way.  Always fascinated by the battle of Midway I decided to start with the USS Hornet CV-8.  I've been doing tons of research to begin this project.  Someday I'll post photos of the hard work I'm about to take on.

CV's always resupplied/refueled in port.  The Hornet and her task force went half way around the world from the east coast, refueling at Pearl Harbor and loading Doolittle's raiders, then sailing to within 600 miles of Japan and returning to Pearl to resupply prior to heading out to Midway.

What could be added is enlarging the fleet to include oilers and their dedicated destroyer screeners; typically one destroyer per oiler with a couple of oilers per task force.

Sorry but -1.

I forgot to mention that even damaged ships sought port.  The Admiral Graf Spee was forced into a neutral port for repairs but was forced under International law to leave after three days.  The Captain, thinking that they would be hunted and killed by the British scuttled the ship soon after leaving port.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:07:15 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 03:16:03 AM »
Battle of the River Plate has some excellent scenes of the cruisers (Ajax, Achilles and ?) under full steam attacking Graf Spee, worth a watch :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 03:40:23 AM »
Before seeing the dynamic supply routes implemented, I'd like to see snailman's proposition come to AH.

This thread is another fine example why a max life  span of a CV without it's corresponding port could make sense ;)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
I hate to rain on your parade but this never really happened.

<snip>

CV's always resupplied/refueled in port

I hate to rain on yours, but this did occur, particularly for support vessels. I made sure I researched it prior to making the suggestion. In fact, they even refueled CVs and (of course CVEs) while at sea. Here is a picture of an Essex Class CV undergoing refueling at sea.

Here is a picture of a CVE under going refueling.

This is a link to a diary made by a sailor, note the multiple refuels in his log.

http://www.cowpensvets.org/wardiary.html

Now I'll quote Donald L. Miller, who is well known for his consulting work and historical background.

"... along with a sea train of fuel (bold added by me), cargo, repair and hospital vessels that allowed the task groups to operate out of port for as long as 70 days. Each carrier group was refueled every 4 days by oilers, which also brought the mail and the latest movies."

This is a nice reference for the use of resupply during the Okinawa campaign. (Summary of Service, Biographical File: Rear Adm. Edward E. Paré)

"The fuel required for the Okinawa operation far exceeded that consumed during any previous campaign. This large consumption was the result of the many ships employed and an increase in their endurance at sea because of the underway replenishment facilities of Service Squadron 6. Between 17 March and 27 May, the amount of fuel oil, diesel oil, and aviation gasoline issued by Task Group 50.8 for replenishment at sea (including its own use) was 8,745,000 barrels of fuel oil (ninety tankers' worth), 259,000 barrels of diesel oil, and 21,477,000 gallons of aviation gasoline. This was more petroleum than Japan managed to import or produce during the entire year of 1944!"
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:58:12 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!