Author Topic: Hit Sprites  (Read 1685 times)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Hit Sprites
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:35:49 PM »
Anyone know how to replace the hit sprites in-game, or if you even can?  I'm interested in perhaps making a smaller (or higher resolution if possible) hit sprite.  In pictures and films the current ones seem a bit large an unrealistic to me, might just be that they are a tad blocky.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline VAMPIRE 2?

• Copper Member
Re: Hit Sprites
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:36:58 PM »
Anyone know how to replace the hit sprites in-game, or if you even can?  I'm interested in perhaps making a smaller (or higher resolution if possible) hit sprite.  In pictures and films the current ones seem a bit large an unrealistic to me, might just be that they are a tad blocky.

AGREED  ARRR!   :aok
412TH braunco mustangs <--or so I hope lol

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 11:42:45 PM »
You cannot.

Some brilliant map maker figured out a way to play around with hit sprites and the like but they can only be built into a custom terrain, and HTC won't accept terrains with all those extra graphics files weighing it down (it increases map size significantly so it would seem).

So, short answer "No.... for the most part".

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »
Hmm, okay I'll make this into a wish then!  Thanks Krusty

Actually, better yet; Skuzzy, would you move this thread to the wish list perhaps?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 12:00:59 AM by SectorNine50 »

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 12:00:04 PM »
Great balls of fire
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:42:56 PM »
Only when you zoom in for screenshots is it "ugly"... When you're shooting at somebody it looks just about like the real thing.

See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqAmy34DTo

Check out about the 50 second mark. There's a FW190 getting repeatedly hit (or several Fw190s getting hit and the film spliced together?) Looks about the same as you might notice from your cockpit while killing a fighter in-game.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 03:04:37 PM »
My deduction is that flashes that large in the film are due to what I think is called lens flare, or perhaps over exposure... (everything else in the image seems rather dark) but I could be wrong, I'm no photo pro. :P

Although, it seems to me that when you get close they scale far too large either way.

That's from the front page (not sure who titled it p51-vs-fw190.jpg, as that is clearly a P-47...), one of those sprites seems to take up a good quarter of the right wing (I realize there are multiple hits there, but I have no pictures of my own of a single ping right now, searching through film).

I feel that if it were the human eye, like I think we are trying to simulate in this game, the flashes would be very small, about the size of the bullet if maybe a tad bigger.  But that's my personal opinion and preference, I think it would give a much better idea of how many hits we are getting.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:58:00 PM by SectorNine50 »

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »
I agree. They do seem to be a bit big perhaps they can be made a bit smaller or something but after all its just a game too.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:37:32 PM »
I agree. They do seem to be a bit big perhaps they can be made a bit smaller or something but after all its just a game too.

It's another limitation of the technology. The human eye sees, and the world provides, a much greater range of light and dark than your monitor can show. The hit sprites can't be as bright as real ones (which I would guess are due to tracers and incendiary rounds smashing and their contents all going up at once, as well as explosions from HE shells) so in order to be as visible as they would be in real life they have to be bigger.

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 09:12:41 PM »
It's another limitation of the technology. The human eye sees, and the world provides, a much greater range of light and dark than your monitor can show. The hit sprites can't be as bright as real ones (which I would guess are due to tracers and incendiary rounds smashing and their contents all going up at once, as well as explosions from HE shells) so in order to be as visible as they would be in real life they have to be bigger.

Hmm... Good point...  Hopefully someday monitors will be able to make pixels darker and lighter.

It would still be nice if their resolution were a bit higher though.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
I wonder if there might be a way to "fix" the size of the sprite on the screen.... So that at range you still see it, but as you zoom in it stays the same size while the other objects/planes get larger....

So that when you zoom in for details it's smaller, more petite.... but when you fire on a target from 800 out you still see hit sprites.

If you get what I mean?

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 10:58:24 PM »
Yeah that could work, that way you get the "brightness" effect, but you still have a decent resolution.  There really shouldn't be a reason to scale...

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 01:07:09 AM »
I think we're lucky to have accurate hit sprites at all in the game, that always seem correctly placed to me.  :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 03:29:18 AM »
I think we're lucky to have accurate hit sprites at all in the game, that always seem correctly placed to me.  :salute

Absolutely, but why not improve?

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
Wasn't there some business about an upgraded damage model a while ago? I may be mistaken as I have been away for a while.

Its possible if its ever upgraded that new hit sprites will come with it. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)