Author Topic: Captured aircraft  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Re: Captured aircraft
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
The captured Zero was important in the refinement of tactics, it provided no direct
input into the Hellcat design.  The contract firmly fixing the Hellcat configuration was
signed six months prior to the crash of the Aleutian Zero. (imo the Zero was a rip off
of the Gloster F.5/34)

As for the F8F being influenced by the FW190. I've heard i before but no one can point
out what the supposed influences were. The F8F looks like a meaner,leaner bubble topped
F6F. I personally see no resemblance to the 190 at all.  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:54:36 PM by Westy »

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 06:03:30 PM »
The captured Zero was important in the refinement of tactics, it provided no direct
input into the Hellcat design.  The contract firmly fixing the Hellcat configuration was
signed six months prior to the crash of the Aleutian Zero. (imo the Zero was a rip off
of the Gloster F.5/34)

As for the F8F being influenced by the FW190. I've heard i before but no one can point
out what the supposed influences were. The F8F looks like a meaner,leaner bubble topped
F6F. I personally see no resemblance to the 190 at all.  

I'm thinking more of a design influence versus an outright copy.

Kind of like, "a Zero can do this. What if we design this into a Hellcat to do something to counter this."
or
"The 190 can do this, what can we incorporate into the F8F to do this also."

Probably all anecdotal anyway.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »
Well everyone knows that Kurt tank designed it all anyway.
He was a quadruple secret-gent and the brain trust behind
all the major powers aircraft designs.

Or so say the uber alles, leather undie wearers anyway :D

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »
The Long Range Desert Group made a raid on the airfield at Barce. 32 aircraft destroyed.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=548
See Rule #4

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
IIRC, the Japanese Army put the P-40 into service in squadron strength based on captured airframes from the Philippines.

Germans, Russians and Finns all used captured enemy tanks.

Finns used several captured Hurricanes, I-153, I15bis, Pe-bombers (8 of them) etc. also for combat duty. They received little airtime and were used mostly for reconnaissance though due to obvious shortage of spare parts. There was serious shortage of equipment. Basically anything that was salvageable was taken into use.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 08:02:49 PM »
The Long Range Desert Group made a raid on the airfield at Barce. 32 aircraft destroyed.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=548
Yes, destroyed.  Not like the apparent claim earlier in the thread that they would have captured them and flown them out.

Only desperation would call for using enemy equipment

Finns used several captured Hurricanes, I-153, I15bis, Pe-bombers (8 of them) etc. also for combat duty. They received little airtime and were used mostly for reconnaissance though due to obvious shortage of spare parts. There was serious shortage of equipment. Basically anything that was salvageable was taken into use.
You guys are basically saying the same thing.   :aok
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline dhart

• Copper Member
      • 357th Yoxford Boys
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:40 PM »
Actually I think I remember hearing bout a captured 51B going up against a Tuskegee airman who was in a 51D. Think it was on the show "Dogfights".
Pigs On The Wing- 2nd Wing