Author Topic: Kamikaze AI?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Kamikaze AI?
« on: March 03, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
I know the AI already crash into anything and everything, but is it possible to make them into, say... maybe kamikaze aircraft?

I ask because I soon plan to make an Okinawa mission and would like to have A6M's fly into friendly ships.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Kamikaze AI?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:45:31 PM »
That sounds interesting. I will follow the progress of this scenario.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »
i guess what you could do it to make a cruise segment towards the ship and go all the way through it, you make also make a drop ords if you plan on making them drop a bomb before they hit the ship. What i cant garantee is if that will actually make any damage to the ship :\ .
Ps: do you want the kamikazes to just get to the place and do their jobs or do you want to make them dogfigth a lil before, maybe make a dive bombing run then turn arround and "banzai and away we go"?
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
Well since they won't do any damage, I'd prefer them to drop the bomb and then crash. I don't want them to dogfight though, as kamikaze pilots did not do so. They didn't even carry much if any ammo.

A BEST case scenario would be for the kamikaze's to dive down to the carrier while releasing their bombs so that they hit the ship at the same time as the bomb explosion. That would look epic. Though I don't know how to make them dive into an object, especially if that object is a moving ship.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
Any kind of divebombing versus a moving target like a naval task force is going to have to deal with limitations of the Mission Editor. I covered this subject recently here:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,295719.msg3959058.html#msg3959058

This is anon-trivial exercise, but if you want to see the only implementation I've been able to put together, look here:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Ah2Missions/HannaAtScarpantos/HannaAtScarpantosP1Full.htm

If you fly that mission as a Stuka Ju87 divebomber pilot, and IF you fly it EXACTLY as I outlined in the descriptive web page referenced above, the target ship will be severely damaged most of the time. It's a lot of fun. But the Mission Editor doesn't allow any generalized approach to this situation. It must be very carefully contrived and flown.

I suppose you could define the bombing segment with a zero altitude at the end and with an endpoint at the exact point where you expect the target ship to be located at the time. I haven't tried that, but it would probably work [within all of the previously referenced limitations].
 :salute
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 09:17:35 AM by bbosen »

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Thanks, bbosen, this is really going to help.

I'll try that zero altitude thing. In some custom maps of the H2H days, I remember some CV's could be made static. If this were possible, maybe I could just make a custom version of the Okinama map already on the HTC downloads page.
I am a Spitdweeb

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:39:47 AM »
Thanks, bbosen, this is really going to help.

I'll try that zero altitude thing. In some custom maps of the H2H days, I remember some CV's could be made static. If this were possible, maybe I could just make a custom version of the Okinama map already on the HTC downloads page.

That sounds like it could work. I look forward to your results!
 :salute

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
Sadly, it won't be until after real work is done. That's the only time I'll get the editor back up and running again.
I am a Spitdweeb