Author Topic: 262 peer  (Read 5193 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: 262 peer
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2011, 11:49:22 PM »
Secret Association of P-38 Pilots....and nowhere in the logo is it redundant :)
I was wrong, I didn't say it was redundant
source?
Gloster Meteor F Mk. III Vs Me262 comparison.

Meteor pros:

Better low to mid speed handling.
Better cannon for fighter engagements.
Slightly lighter.
Can equip 2x 1,000lb bombs or 16 anti tank rockets.

Me262 pros:

Faster.
Better high speed handling.
Better cannon for buff hunting.
Longer range.
Smaller profile.

Both had equal rate of climb at sea level.
This is where I saw the info...someone who did research
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2011, 11:50:21 PM »
I was wrong, I didn't say it was redundant

It's ok, I still love you  :D
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2011, 12:07:51 AM »
Where's that quote from?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 12:12:22 AM »
Provided there are no unexpected quirks in the meteor modeling, you can count on Meteor sorties outnumbering 262 sorties by a factor of five to 1 if both are given the same perk value.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »
Understand this: The Meteor with its lighter wingloading would be much more maneuverable than the 262, and have four easy-aim lazer Hizookas in the nose

Wrong.  The meteor Mk 1 was extremely underpowered.  The MkIII had better engines, but with control limiters installed to prevent loss of aircraft (wasn't cleared for aerobatics at all), and had slushy response, as quoted by pilots serving with it.  The nose was very difficult to slave to a target and hold.  The roll rate was described as "atrocious".  Pilots who flew both the 262 and the Meteor stated the 262 was much more nimble and control responsive, as well as a much steadier guns platform...let alone being faster.

The 262 would hold all the cards, and more importantly, would control the terms of the fight, disengaging at will.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 12:29:05 AM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2011, 12:23:21 AM »
  Neither the 262 or Meteor were used on offensive ops. 

What is consider a "offensive ops"? 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2011, 12:31:29 AM »
Wrong.  The meteor Mk 1 was extremely underpowered.  The MkIII had better engines, but with control limiters installed to prevent loss of aircraft (wasn't cleared for aerobatics at all), and had slushy response, as quoted by pilots serving with it.  The nose was very difficult to slave to a target and hold.  The roll rate was described as "atrocious".  Pilots who flew both the 262 and the Meteor stated the 262 was much more nimble and control responsive, as well as a much steadier guns platform...let alone being faster.

The 262 would hold all the cards, and more importantly, would control the terms of the fight, disengaging at will.

Such handling defects will not appear in AHII.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »
Such handling defects will not appear in AHII.

Lol.  Another "overlook the truth moment".
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2011, 01:54:15 AM »
+1  for the RAF's first jet aircraft that saw action during WW2 in squadron service.  Nuff said.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:16 AM »
+1  for the RAF's first jet aircraft that saw action during WW2 in squadron service.  Nuff said.

I mean, if you count the 4 that were on the continent from 616 Sqdrn in January 1945 as a "squadron".

The most engaged Meteor's got was by their own forces, from misidentification problems. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:24:47 AM by MORAY37 »
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2011, 04:39:10 AM »
Lol.  Another "overlook the truth moment".

Such handling defects do not typically appear in AHII. For instance, look at our 109s and Zeros, both of which can still contentedly pull Gs at nearly 400mph IAS.

For purposes of AHII, it does not matter whether an aircraft could be handled well with two fingers on the stick or whether you really had to muscle it to get full deflection at speed, since we are all interfacing through little plastic joysticks sitting on our desks.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2011, 05:05:09 AM »
Such handling defects do not typically appear in AHII. For instance, look at our 109s and Zeros, both of which can still contentedly pull Gs at nearly 400mph IAS.
Well the 109 is overmodelled. Should lock up at 250  :P
Btw, if the meteor really outmaneuvers the 262, its a beast. But be realistic plz, and request for that meteor which seen action during the war. It was in service inm '44, was produced in numbers, but dont THINK it ever met any flying enemy aircraft. I dont know much about that aircraft tho.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2011, 05:17:05 AM »
You have to be careful in speaking in such absolutes Krusty.   While I'm not one who sees the Meteor as a need, it certainly warrants consideration for addition to the game at some point.  Based on conversations I had back in my Spit XII researching days, with a B of B vet turned Supermarine Service test pilot, then a 616 squadron Meteor pilot, the Meteor was a peer of the 262.  He was on the continent with 616 and ended up flying a 262 prior to the end of the war.  He described the performance as similar.  He saw the 262 armament as the biggest difference.

No it doesnt. Men much more qualified than anyone here have stated unequivocably that the Meteor would not have stood a chance against the 262. One of those men is Capt. Eric Brown Chief Naval Test Pilot at RAF Farnborough 1944-1949... C.O. Captured Enemy Aircraft Flight 1945-1946:

"Pedestrian compared to the 262. The Meteor wasnt in the same class. The Meteor 4 picked up quite a bit and was moving in the right direction but neither of them rose to the challenge of beating the Me 262. The Vampire the first jet to land on a carrier would never have kept up with the Me 262."

I dont know who your BoB vet was but I would call him on it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:07:10 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2011, 05:36:51 AM »
Where's that quote from?
Private forum
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2011, 06:01:54 AM »
Nice comments, thanks.  Bummer on the P-80s.   :cheers:

I wonder which one would win in a AH stallfight..... 
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum