Author Topic: the REAL fuel questions for enhanced dogfighting/engine damage model  (Read 424 times)

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
sometime back i posted a question about fuel used for aircraft,as i thought this game used the same for all aircraft.i have been told that it uses historic data for each aircraft as to what was available, GREAT!,now the questions and wishlist.i have heard from modelers,vets and people on here that luftwaffe A/C and italian A/C used by luftwaffe,would suddenly spew black smoke and keep doing it when the throttle was maxed out(firewalled) due to the NASTIES using sythetic fuels based on charcol/coal....in real life many probable kills were recored or allied pilots disengaged when they saw the smoke...but the luft A/C was not really hit. why isnt this aspect modeled in the game?(WISH)....next. my understanding of flamable fuel is.in open air,liquid fuel is hard to ignite,the fumes however are easy to ignite,so we mix fuel with air to create a vapor for ignition....so if you hit a fuel tank on an enemy A/C why cant you ignite the fuel vapor trail with tracer rounds? i have seen gun camera films of this happening at low altitude :eek:,but not on here.not at any altitude(wish).and finally engine damage.many combat reports of engines getting hit and running poorly...but keep running at a lower performance level.in real life these planes sometimes flew all the way home. cant we model this in the game and if no radiator or oil leaks keep the engine running at a lower performance and say coughing,huffing,puffing,etc??  (WISH) :eek:

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
Re: the REAL fuel questions for enhanced dogfighting/engine damage model
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
hey!!! GREAT WISHES!
 :aok
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
sometime back i posted a question about fuel used for aircraft,as i thought this game used the same for all aircraft.i have been told that it uses historic data for each aircraft as to what was available, GREAT!,now the questions and wishlist.i have heard from modelers,vets and people on here that luftwaffe A/C and italian A/C used by luftwaffe,would suddenly spew black smoke and keep doing it when the throttle was maxed out(firewalled) due to the NASTIES using sythetic fuels based on charcol/coal....in real life many probable kills were recored or allied pilots disengaged when they saw the smoke...but the luft A/C was not really hit. why isnt this aspect modeled in the game?(WISH)....next. my understanding of flamable fuel is.in open air,liquid fuel is hard to ignite,the fumes however are easy to ignite,so we mix fuel with air to create a vapor for ignition....so if you hit a fuel tank on an enemy A/C why cant you ignite the fuel vapor trail with tracer rounds? i have seen gun camera films of this happening at low altitude :eek:,but not on here.not at any altitude(wish).and finally engine damage.many combat reports of engines getting hit and running poorly...but keep running at a lower performance level.in real life these planes sometimes flew all the way home. cant we model this in the game and if no radiator or oil leaks keep the engine running at a lower performance and say coughing,huffing,puffing,etc??  (WISH) :eek:

RE:Burning fuel leakage.
It has been my ev=experience that flying around with an active fuel leak seem to make me more susceptible to bursting into flames at some point after being shot at again.

I would like to say "Wish Granted!!" on this one, but I'm not 100% sure. How about wish granted?

RE: Engine damage
Coincidentally enough, I was beginning to believe just the opposite about our oil hits and continued flying.
I'm currently reading a book on the Korean Air War and so far have seen two encounters where F4Us have been hit in the engine by small arms fire and seized up within minutes. Makes me wonder about our gliding dead stick forever as well. Seems planes without running engines tend to act like bricks in real life. Of course they didint have an autopilot that would keep you on the edge of a stall forever either.

Anyway, back to engines. The other side of my argument is I have also read of two accounts of radiator hits in P-51s where the pilots were able to make it back to England without glycol by keeping the engine in an overly rich fuel state by constantly pumping the engine priming knob? handle? The extra fuel being injected into the combustion chambers keeping the engine cool enough(?) to keep running. In both cases the pilots wore the skin off the palm of their hands in doing so, through the glove.

So, either way, I think what we have now is adequate.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:43:38 PM »
As far as gliding is concerned, some planes props will stop and produce more drag, however some planes props will continue to produce idle thrust as they are still spinning, and let you glide farther.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:29:48 AM »
As far as gliding is concerned, some planes props will stop and produce more drag, however some planes props will continue to produce idle thrust as they are still spinning, and let you glide farther.

stopped props produce less drag than windmilling props
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:59:08 PM »
sometime back i posted a question about fuel used for aircraft,as i thought this game used the same for all aircraft.i have been told that it uses historic data for each aircraft as to what was available, GREAT!,now the questions and wishlist.i have heard from modelers,vets and people on here that luftwaffe A/C and italian A/C used by luftwaffe,would suddenly spew black smoke and keep doing it when the throttle was maxed out(firewalled) due to the NASTIES using sythetic fuels based on charcol/coal....in real life many probable kills were recored or allied pilots disengaged when they saw the smoke...but the luft A/C was not really hit. why isnt this aspect modeled in the game?(WISH)....next.

If the engine model was accurate the aircraft would not be able to firewall the engine for their entire flight, (as is not the standard) everyone engine would be overheated.   Besides if all the germane rides were puttin gout black smoke, think  what would happen to the frame rate.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
i have heard from modelers,vets and people on here that luftwaffe A/C and italian A/C used by luftwaffe,would suddenly spew black smoke and keep doing it when the throttle was maxed out(firewalled) due to the NASTIES using sythetic fuels based on charcol/coal....in real life many probable kills were recored or allied pilots disengaged when they saw the smoke...but the luft A/C was not really hit. why isnt this aspect modeled in the game?(WISH)
i'll try to be nice...random and/or rare events are not modelled in ah...as much as you might think "it would be kewl" you would not want that to happen while you are in your toonplane because the black smoke meant the engine was not going to perform properly because the fuel wasn't being burned efficiently.

next. my understanding of flamable fuel is.in open air,liquid fuel is hard to ignite,the fumes however are easy to ignite,so we mix fuel with air to create a vapor for ignition....so if you hit a fuel tank on an enemy A/C why cant you ignite the fuel vapor trail with tracer rounds? i have seen gun camera films of this happening at low altitude :eek:,but not on here.not at any altitude(wish).
ever hit a full can of gasoline with a tracer round? it's really purdy...back to your question...the fires you do see in toonland are modeled very well...aircraft with self sealing fuel tanks are less likely to light up than aircraft that don't have self sealing fuel tanks...i've seen it in the game, mostly with planes that have 30 caliber machine guns, puncture a fuel tank and as the fuel is leaking out...fire another good burst into the same location, it lights up...

and finally engine damage.many combat reports of engines getting hit and running poorly...but keep running at a lower performance level.in real life these planes sometimes flew all the way home. cant we model this in the game and if no radiator or oil leaks keep the engine running at a lower performance and say coughing,huffing,puffing,etc??  (WISH) :eek:
you're assuming a random "golden bb" effect where maybe the cylinder head on a radial engine gets hit and doesn't start leaking oil all over the place...as much as many players would like some other engine damage modeled besides oil that splatters the windscreen regardless of where the engine is hit...random or rare events don't get modeled.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:16:28 PM »
Hijacking, butIwishforafewspaces.   :uhoh
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54