Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23645 times)

Offline Bellator

• Copper Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
For me the terrain is the driving factor of where I want to play.
And I feel this is the same for a lot of us.
So I must ask this question and risk being tormented for the next month or so.
What would happen if both Blue and Orange arenas were given the same map?
This may have been already been tried and I'd be curious to know the results.

<S> Bellator

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »
What would happen if both Blue and Orange arenas were given the same map?
This may have been already been tried and I'd be curious to know the results.

It happened a few times, and it didn't change anything. People are still congregating in LWO.
Terrain is only a secondary factor. There are only a very few maps that are disliked so much that they can break this pattern.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2011, 07:17:09 PM »
I really like the added perk bonus Idea.  Though, I don't know, in reality, what percentage of the current players would move for that reason.  I suspect the exodus would be in long time players to the under gunned side. 

That's the beauty of it, not everyone will move but enough should move to where it will even out the arenas A LOT faster.  I know it will never happen though, because then we'd have nothing to argue about here on the bbs.

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2011, 07:20:23 PM »

There is only 1 issue that I do not like about the split arenas that I did not anticipate when we implemented them. That is how the 2 arenas with free choice of entry causes country imbalance. As and example, in one arena the rooks will have 20 more then the other countries, and in the 2nd arena they will have 20 less.
Not just the rooks, but happens to all countries on different nights.

We have been considering doing some method of limiting this, but please do not post ideas that are just a hidden attempts at putting more people into one arena. The current method that I am leaning to is if the cap is 99, then once a country has 33 people no more people of that country can enter. There may also be a choice to enter if you switch sides on entry (of course change country times would also be adjusted).

This idea would effectively stop squads from flying together, since it would probably be very tough for them to find an arena where they could all fit in under the 33 per country limit.

HiTech

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »
I really like the added perk bonus Idea.  Though, I don't know, in reality, what percentage of the current players would move for that reason.  I suspect the exodus would be in long time players to the under gunned side. 

The force is strong with the horde, added perks have never been an incentive or interest for the horde and will never be. 
I do like some of the other ideas that HT has been thinking about.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »

This idea would effectively stop squads from flying together, since it would probably be very tough for them to find an arena where they could all fit in under the 33 per country limit.
HiTech

"I am leaning to is IF the cap is 99, "

I.E. an example. Not the definitive numbers.

HiTech

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2011, 01:48:05 AM »
they said they can't because an arena over 400-450 is toxic and subscription were NOT increasing, or dropping off (they were losing money)

It you were the 505th person to log on you know where you would be right? Either flying in a second arena with 4 other guys, or watching TV with the wife. So they made the "dynanic caps" it increase the population in BOTH LW arena more evenly so you don't have to wait hours and hours for enough people to filter into the second arena to make it fun.

Subscriptions were not increasing, stagnating. Something had to be done to continue to grow the company, and the spit arenas is what they came up with, which worked because Hitech has said that subscriptions started to climb after the splits happened.
Thanks Fugitive , that really help me understand . Maybe we need to make this post a STICKY untill we get a fix ...
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »
BASE caps!
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »
Thanks Fugitive , that really help me understand . Maybe we need to make this post a STICKY untill we get a fix ...

What fix?

The problem you have with NOT going to the arena that's available?

The problem you have with locked doors?

The problem you have with squad mates?

When LWO is full, play in LWB. There's your fix!
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »
It still amazes me the how strong the force is for people wanting to play in the arena listed first. Just as DMGod showed, 2 = arenas but he waited 15 min just to get into the top one. I'm not blaming anyone for this, I am just amazed by it. People will claim many different reasons why they want the orange (I.E. like the terrain better), but we have actually just swapped positions on the list and then again everyone wanted the top arena.

There are other methods to solve the issue of overpopulation that would split arenas, and not have an artificial limit I.E. 500 and you reached a false ceiling because no one wants to be the first in the 2nd arena. Here are some other possibilities all of which also have short comings but do solve the issue .

1. Do a 1 time population split via random squad distributions followed by non squad players. Each person would then only be able to fly in 1 of the 2 arenas, and not have the choice to go to the other. I.E. Every night you would fly in the same arena.

2. Do very low cap multiple arenas, I.E. caps of 100-150 across 6-10 arenas.

3. Assign people to an arena when they enter and remove the choice of where they can enter.

4. Creating one "virtual" arena where it would contain multiple sets of people. The ground targets would all be common, but you could only see,fight, and speak with people in your "Set" of people.

I'm always willing to listen to new ideas, but I'm not interested in ideas that will have the net effect of putting everyone in 1 arena. I.E. (make 2 arenas of 850 each and let the players choose).

There is only 1 issue that I do not like about the split arenas that I did not anticipate when we implemented them. That is how the 2 arenas with free choice of entry causes country imbalance. As and example, in one arena the rooks will have 20 more then the other countries, and in the 2nd arena they will have 20 less.
Not just the rooks, but happens to all countries on different nights.

We have been considering doing some method of limiting this, but please do not post ideas that are just a hidden attempts at putting more people into one arena. The current method that I am leaning to is if the cap is 99, then once a country has 33 people no more people of that country can enter. There may also be a choice to enter if you switch sides on entry (of course change country times would also be adjusted).

HiTech

Keep the current logic that you have for balancing and capping arenas but add this ...

Arena is capped and ... Bish have 40 ... Knights have 30 ... Rooks have 30

Change the arena menu to this ....

Orange 100/100
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

Bishops are closed ... You can click on either Knights or rooks to gain entry into the capped arena ... until they reach 40 players each ... a total of 160 people.

As each player chooses the less populated team, the cap number moves with it, so if 5 people joined Knights and 2 joined Rooks you would see this ...

Orange 107/107
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

Let's say the Knights reached the 40 person limit during all of this ... you would see this ...

Orange 147/147
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

Now, if and during this second level balancing of orange, blue populates to the point that it kicks off your current logic of un-capping orange, you add 50 slots to the current total in orange and it looks like this ...

Orange 147/197
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

All countries are now available to choose from ... until the cap hits again and the secondary balancing will then kick in using the population of the highest populated country at that time.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
Keep the current logic that you have for balancing and capping arenas but add this ...

Arena is capped and ... Bish have 40 ... Knights have 30 ... Rooks have 30........

Isn't that just more of the same of what we have now............  Imbalance?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:17:32 AM by Dadsguns »

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline hotard

• Copper Member
      • nampamodelaviators.org
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »
bad idea to place arena caps based upon each country.. it would encourage country hopping.. spying etc. Some would change country, fool around, spy, then when the hour was up, switch back to their "normal" country.
Guys like me are the reason guys like you hate LA's

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »

Arena is capped and ... Bish have 40 ... Knights have 30 ... Rooks have 30

Change the arena menu to this ....

Orange 100/100
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

Bishops are closed ... You can click on either Knights or rooks to gain entry into the capped arena ... until they reach 40 players each ... a total of 160 people.

As each player chooses the less populated team, the cap number moves with it, so if 5 people joined Knights and 2 joined Rooks you would see this ...

Orange 107/107
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

Let's say the Knights reached the 40 person limit during all of this ... you would see this ...

Orange 147/147
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

Now, if and during this second level balancing of orange, blue populates to the point that it kicks off your current logic of un-capping orange, you add 50 slots to the current total in orange and it looks like this ...

Orange 147/197
  • Bishops
  • Knights
  • Rooks

All countries are now available to choose from ... until the cap hits again and the secondary balancing will then kick in using the population of the highest populated country at that time.

Why do you wish to switch from the simple method of once 33% is bish, no more bish are able to enter. It appears to me you just wish to raise the limits? btw in he 99 example I was just speaking of 33 % the limits would still rise as before.

HiTech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »

Why do you wish to switch from the simple method of once 33% is bish, no more bish are able to enter. It appears to me you just wish to raise the limits? btw in he 99 example I was just speaking of 33 % the limits would still rise as before.

HiTech

It could work that way too (33%). I wasn't trying to really raise the limits to just raise the limits, I was just using the natural flow into an arena that is already there and then establishing a max country population based on the most populated country when the cap was actually hit.

The 33% notion would work just peachy using the same menuing options, only caveat is that once a country hits 33%, the door is closed and the arena is truly capped at 100.

So, in an arena that has a cap of 100 (Orange), then only 99 (33% per country) will be allowed in until Blue populates enough to change the cap number.

In my example, the only difference is that the capped arena could actually grow to 150 while the Blue populates enough to change the cap and open Orange.

Your hard and fast 33% of the capped number would be the easiest to implement.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
Isn't that just more of the same of what we have now............  Imbalance?

Dads .. yes, those numbers do show an imbalance in favor of the bish, but the door is closed to any more bish wanting to join that arena while those who want to fly Knights or Rooks can get in and bring their populations up to meet the amount of players on the bish team ... thus achieving balance within a capped arena.

If this change was not implemented, then the Bish would reek havoc until Blue populated enough to allow more Knights and Rooks into the Orange arena and even then one could not promise a balance.
SlapShot - Blue Knights