Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 24055 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »

A solution will eventually be found!

<S> BELLATOR

I've always been a supporter of brainstorming and creative madness. So:

Grow one arena untill the pain treshold is reached. Then force a split to two arenas transparently so that half of people are divided to each one. The trick is: While moving people, move them squads at a time untill all squads have been divided, then split the rest of the non-squad population. Keep bases and the state of war as it was. More importantly: Always enable a squad member to join the exact server his squad was 'assigned to' during the split.

The result should be that players won't even notice much going on except a jolt in player numbers on arena. The friends still fly next to you, the same base is still under the fight etc. Squad members could still join their friends in game. No arena would start from scratch as it would be two 200 player arenas minimum.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:17:50 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2011, 01:19:39 AM »
I swear I still don't understand it .Just make it like TT Day with an 850 cap and be done with it ? or just 500 would be plenty .
   Not realy sure that Pyro means by a stagnation point ?

have you ever been in a small map arena with 600 people at once? the game itself cant take more than a certain amount of contacts at a time or it overloads your views and any more than 64 become dots. second, you know as well that with 200 people per country you get to see a mass furball of 50 vs 50 over one base where vox clogs like a bad toilet and angry whines about HOs, vulching, picking, etc from that mass mudsling clutter 200. Many people hate upping into a furball only to get shot down by 16 enemies on your six 5 seconds later. I honestly want TT gone. its a waste of a good day. nothing can be accomplished on TT til late night

It still amazes me the how strong the force is for people wanting to play in the arena listed first. Just as DMGod showed, 2 = arenas but he waited 15 min just to get into the top one. I'm not blaming anyone for this, I am just amazed by it. People will claim many different reasons why they want the orange (I.E. like the terrain better), but we have actually just swapped positions on the list and then again everyone wanted the top arena.

some squadrons make orange arena their home. i personally believe that the reason orange is more populated is because once you initially go to orange as a noob you dont want to leave. In essence youve made it your home. You can actually see squadrons make different arenas their homes like this. I go to blue arena and see a bunch of people i never see in orange (along with the ones that are tired of orange's map etc). Our squad personally goes to Orange because we always know the people there and our joint squadrons (bomber groups) are almost always stationed in orange. If we go to blue, we see people we never see and although we are welcomed warmly by everyone like usual, you basically dont know them as well... you can sometimes feel alienated. Therefore the mass stays in their home in Orange.
2. Do very low cap multiple arenas, I.E. caps of 100-150 across 6-10 arenas.
I've suggested opening a third arena rotation multiple times to see if it can make things better. we can always go back to 2 if it doesnt work
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Razzor 479th

• Zinc Member
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2011, 02:10:30 AM »
I've always been a supporter of brainstorming and creative madness. So:

Grow one arena untill the pain treshold is reached. Then force a split to two arenas transparently so that half of people are divided to each one. The trick is: While moving people, move them squads at a time untill all squads have been divided, then split the rest of the non-squad population. Keep bases and the state of war as it was. More importantly: Always enable a squad member to join the exact server his squad was 'assigned to' during the split.

The result should be that players won't even notice much going on except a jolt in player numbers on arena. The friends still fly next to you, the same base is still under the fight etc. Squad members could still join their friends in game. No arena would start from scratch as it would be two 200 player arenas minimum.

While I too have NO fondness of the caps, I'm worried the next fix will be worse than the current fix.  Personally I like a lot of folks flying in the arena.  That generally means more air to air and GV and CV fights going on.  A real case of the more the merrier.

But the idea above is actually not bad, if we really do have to institute another fix.  But as I often get off work late and the only option I have is to log in during prime time, I definitely do not like the caps.  But please, don't make them worse.  TT is the only night of the week I can really enjoy the AH experience without first getting mad cause I can't get in.  I want to fly with my squaddies and not impose on them to leave en masse one arena to join me in another.

RAZOR - PIGS ON THE WING

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »
Bar , what about the game WOW , it has more than 600 on at a time ...
I think MrRipley jst mite be on to something ..and like you Razzor , TT day is the only night that I can really enjoy the AH experience without first getting mad cause I can't get in.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:40:57 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2011, 08:42:01 AM »
I would like to hear the precise reasons a single arena is considered "unhealthy." Excuse me for not digging through years of threads, but in all of the ones I've seen, there were no real answers. How can you even come close or why would you even try to solve a problem without laying out the precise causes?

You don't have to dig through years of threads, you just had to read this one ... AWwrgwy quoted Pyro in this thread explaining CAPS and why ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »

"I am leaning to is IF the cap is 99, "

I.E. an example. Not the definitive numbers.

HiTech

Won't work.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
321BAR , I was in a hurry when I made my above post this morning but I see what your saying about 600 people being on at once . Maybe that mean more map change's ? I don't know . The only thing I really don't like is say you got 4 or 5 guy's doing something and you get booted or have to reboot and you can not get back in to where you were at ..
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2011, 01:42:43 PM »
Bar , what about the game WOW , it has more than 600 on at a time ...
I think MrRipley jst mite be on to something ..and like you Razzor , TT day is the only night that I can really enjoy the AH experience without first getting mad cause I can't get in.

WOW doesn't have 600 people interacting with each other. You have 600 people off killing AI stuff. And, if it's anything like when I played EQ years ago, you have people training mobs on your toon, stealing your kills, taking your loot....

It wasn't terribly healthy back then either. IIRC, about the time I quit, they were making encounters unique to each group just so you could get your chance at encounters without getting interupted by the other 600.

There are complaints of picks, getting killed while already engaged, kill stealing, the opposite of a pick?, interrupted 1 v 1s, and hoards are bad enough with 200-300 in an arena. Now, double it.

:cry I can't find a fight....

wrongway

71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »
You have 600 people off killing AI stuff.

....well....

- oldman

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »
Not sure what I am supposed to acknowledge?

People want to fly with their squad ? Check.
People want to fly in the top Arena? Check.
What people ask for and what they want are normally not the same thing? Check.
People will continue to fill an arena to the point of making the game less fun for most of the player base? Check.
Some people refuse to believe that I am a rational person and that I try make decisions only on what makes the greatest number of my customers happy, because that is what makes my business better? Check.

So what exactly am I supposed to acknowledge?

HiTech

In the op’s original post, he stated that he wanted to enter that arena because his squad was there .    You keep asking why he didn’t just go to the other arena.   He had already answered that question.   It appeared that you just can’t accept that as an answer.  check
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline EDO43

• Copper Member
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2011, 04:52:27 PM »
I seem to remember (and I'm getting old-timers disease :old:) AH several years ago just before the implementation of multiple arenas, people crying incessantly about other people stealing kills, being killshot and what not due to the large numbers of people playing online at any given time (usually around primetime).  I recall the need to blow up the target rather than just let if fall to Earth.  Why?  Because if you didn't, about six or seven other people would follow it down and shoot it while you were watching...stealing your kill.  I would qualify that as "saturation" and unhealthy.  Yes, those things still happen but with far less frequency than in the past I am referring to.  There have been times in the past when 400 or so players have mobbed the NDIsles map (usually on Sunday squadron night).  That is WAY too many players for such a small map.  You think the hordes of today are bad...?  If you've ever experienced that kind of player saturation you'd probably agree with what HTC has done and not get too upset with the arena cap.  Personally, if my squadron is in LW Orange and I can't get in, I'll fly in LW Blue until the cap rises or space opens up.  

HTC has a very well defined, effective baseline method of controlling numbers in arenas.  And here's a bonus...it works!  Is it perfect? No, but you see HT here willing to tweak it to better the game.  I applaud their efforts and while I may not like everything they do with respect to the game, I believe that their decisions are backed by data, research and solid conclusions...not by haphazard, off-the-cuff ideas that "might work".  Data driven changes are the only way to better the game for all the players and to keep competitive advantage.  

Now let's discuss a related topic...the next generation of AH...AH3!  :pray
Mawey -a-  tsmukan

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2011, 05:20:35 PM »
I seem to remember (and I'm getting old-timers disease :old:) AH several years ago just before the implementation of multiple arenas, people crying incessantly about other people stealing kills, being killshot and what not due to the large numbers of people playing online at any given time (usually around primetime).  I recall the need to blow up the target rather than just let if fall to Earth.  Why?  Because if you didn't, about six or seven other people would follow it down and shoot it while you were watching...stealing your kill.  I would qualify that as "saturation" and unhealthy.  Yes, those things still happen but with far less frequency than in the past I am referring to.  There have been times in the past when 400 or so players have mobbed the NDIsles map (usually on Sunday squadron night).  That is WAY too many players for such a small map.  You think the hordes of today are bad...?  If you've ever experienced that kind of player saturation you'd probably agree with what HTC has done and not get too upset with the arena cap.  Personally, if my squadron is in LW Orange and I can't get in, I'll fly in LW Blue until the cap rises or space opens up.  

There still is a congo line to kill a single con.  Hasn't changed one bit.  In fact, it got worst.  Instead of 4 on ya, u now have 7+.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »
In the op’s original post, he stated that he wanted to enter that arena because his squad was there .    You keep asking why he didn’t just go to the other arena.   He had already answered that question.   It appeared that you just can’t accept that as an answer.  check

Go read the post of mine you are referring to again, I am directly referencing DMGOD's post and never said anything in any way about the OP.

So now in this thread you have called me  liar.

Arena CAP's are better for HTC business.
End of discussion.

Traveler writes:
That would be true if the CAP's were always in place.  But everyday the CAP's are removed and there is just one arena until 5:00 PM EST.  There are no CAP's on the Late War arena on Tuesday,  Is that because HiTech doesn't care about business on Tuesday.   The CAP's are in place because HiTech wants the CAP's in place when and where he want's them in place.  I really doubt it has anything to do with business, or lack there of.

I had let that one slide,

You then make a mistake and again state I am trying to hide something. I.E. "He refuses to acknowledge." When DMGOD himself said it was because he didn't like the terrain. (btw everythink what would happen with 1 arena? He would not even have a choice of what terrain he wanted to fly in).

You now try put words in my mouth.

You keep asking why he didn’t just go to the other arena.

I asked DMGOD 1 time, that is not a keep asking. And I never asked the person you were speaking of.

So exactly what have you stated in this thread that in any way shape or form is helpful, truthful , accurate,knowledgeable or credible?

HiTech

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »
You don't have to dig through years of threads, you just had to read this one ... AWwrgwy quoted Pyro in this thread explaining CAPS and why ?

You're exactly right, he quoted pyro. I've seen that post several times and as I said, I have yet to see anyone post specific reasons why a single arena is unhealthy. And that post is NO exception. Saying "unhealthy arena" or "bad for subscriptions" does not explain anything. How is it bad for subscriptions? What are the specific complaints customers have when choosing not to subscribe? HTC has not that I am aware of been up front on this.

Now, several players have theories or complaints, but I want to know if those are the same reasons we have split arenas. And no one is going to solve anything until those specific complaints are addressed.

I dont see any difference between 600 guys in one arena or the 400 during peak split times. There is NO DIFFERENCE in the game at all except the one or two bases being horded are short 30 guys. Does that stop gang banging, or the festering bad attitudes caused by the disgust some of you have for the hordes? NO it does not. It has not solved anything. EVERYONE has seen the complaints about all of these things on a regular basis. If you say different you are a liar or you dont pay attention to whats going on around you.

I dont get it. If you guys like split arenas so much, why wouldnt you prefer base or zone caps? At least your squads would be in the same arena.

You are right, those things are (very slightly) less frequent but not at all because of the split arenas. In case you missed it, the new kill system prevents "kill stealing." At least the majority of the time. And most people know there is far less chance of stealing a kill now and so they arent so quick to try it. Other than that, there is no change in the game. There are still hordes, still gangbanging, still attempts at stealing kills, still abusive behavior and everything else associated with the single arena. But we do have a dedicated group of followers who refuse to admit when they are wrong.

As far as the small map, if it's too small, GET A BIGGER ONE! How ridiculous to suggest that a map being too small should dictate how we play the game.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »
Go read the post of mine you are referring to again, I am directly referencing DMGOD's post and never said anything in any way about the OP.

You then make a mistake and again state I am trying to hide something. I.E. "He refuses to acknowledge." When DMGOD himself said it was because he didn't like the terrain. (btw everythink what would happen with 1 arena? He would not even have a choice of what terrain he wanted to fly in).

I asked DMGOD 1 time, that is not a keep asking. And I never asked the person you were speaking of.

So exactly what have you stated in this thread that in any way shape or form is helpful, truthful , accurate,knowledgeable or credible?

HiTech

HiTech

Just where did I call you a liar.  I am not aware of calling you a liar in any post.

Where did I say you were hiding something.  I never said Hi Tech is hiding anything.

I’ve said, many time, that the game has CAPs because HiTech decided that the game needs CAP’s.  First it was that caps were needed all the time, then they were not needed on Tuesdays, now there only needed some of the time.  I think that’s very accurate.

I’ve been a paying member for many many years.  And perhaps I missed the customer satisfaction  surveys .  check
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes