Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23922 times)

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #240 on: March 18, 2011, 05:31:12 AM »

I am not suggesting that we make policy choices for you. I am suggesting the product we pay for BE WHAT WE WANTED when we came here and not be a frustrating experience or become so inconvenient that people get fed up and leave.

Actually the product is what I want.  Who exactly is the "WE" you are referring to?  If you think you are speaking for the community, you may be jumping the gun a bit.

Just a happy customer.   :banana:

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #241 on: March 18, 2011, 06:48:11 AM »
Muzik just so we're clear, I was expressing my opinion, I don't speak for HTC.

I don't see any argument on your part that says anything other than "I want one late war arena all the time." Nothing that you've posted is a reason to change back to the old system. You have a preference and you don't see the advantages to the current system.
I'm sure there are other customers that share your view but the people who are responsible for everything you like about Aces High don't agree with you.

If you think WW2OL is more suitable for you then you should try it out. It's up to you to decide if Aces High is worth 50 cents a day.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #242 on: March 18, 2011, 11:24:22 AM »
Muzik: In your last 2 posts.

Your called my reasons "baloney"
Implied I don't listen to my customers, when I'm sitting here listening and responding.

You fail to see "Find out what humans want, deliver it and charge for it" is exactly what I try do, but you confuse assume the words ask for and want are the same thing. Believe me, that was not what Mark Twain was saying. He then would have simply said, give humans what they ask for, not what they need.

"If hitech said grass is pink, you'd be right there."
You accuse people who agree with me as not being able to think.

You state
"Translation, "I DONT WANT TO STICK MY NECK OUT THERE""
For people not want to really speak there minds, when many people here  been speaking there minds to change the caps, but some have seen valid reasons for them.

"I also find it insulting that in spite of his rules on flaming and such, intellectually challenged individuals get away with anything as long as they agree with hitech. They are allowed to speak for him on a regular basis and bash paying customers with underhanded comments because they enjoy telling people what hitech does or doesnt want in his game."

You then complain about people flaming and then flame them in the very complaint.

So as far as flaming goes, I would say your doing very well to keeping yourself at the top of the list in this thread.

So just to make sure I understand your desire & position.

I assume you want an uncapped LW arena?

HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #243 on: March 18, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »

Sadly there is no "pepsi" for aces highs "coke." If there was then the customer may have a bit more power, in the sense you could talk with your feet.

There are competitors to AH.For some reason the direct competitors used to have more players then us, but now do not.

HiTech

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #244 on: March 18, 2011, 11:32:58 AM »
I think you have got it right muzik. It bothers me to no end when the "the customer does not truly know what they want, but I do" philosophy is preached. It really is a slap in the face IMO.

If you would ever have been involved in serious software development you would know you should thank Hitech for not doing everything the clients want. It's 100% sure way to create an unusable application. Not in just games, same applies to any software.

The end user wants a million things but 99.999% of times can't see the implications of what he wants or how it affects others.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #245 on: March 18, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
I see two issues and that is it. 

1.  I can't fly with whom I want to fly with because...
2.  The perk bonus sucks in here because the sides are imbalanced...

Hitech has already addressed #2.  As for #1, I personally have never waited more than a few minutes to get into a "capped" arena because the numbers equalize pretty quick, or there is lots of movement between the arenas.   :salute

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #246 on: March 18, 2011, 11:46:13 AM »
Well done hitech, it seems that you have convinced even some hard core opposition that what they want is bad for them and they just didnt see it before. Hard to believe so many people like baloney.
whats with the attitude?  are you speaking on behalf of the AH players union or what?  who elected you to speak for us?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
I got bored reading after a few pages but, I was reading earlier in the thread about how players spiked after the initial arena split, that was easy to explain, surely it was curiosity. Curiousity to see what difference it had made to the game, curiosity that spreads like wild fire by way of word of mouth. "Did you hear the Late War Arena is splitting?" "Really... Well lets all get on and see what it's all about" and so on. The real data there is that it should be discounted, mainly because it isn't the 'normal service' for the arena.

That issue I have out of the way; When I was in a larger squad and late on the arena caps irritated me because I couldn't join up with my squad, at the time most recent when the larger maps switched into blue for a short time, most of us regulars swapped arenas once word had got around about the map being 'better' in blue. But then all resumed as normal and back into Orange we went before word had got around the whole of the squad about what had been going on with the arena maps. But I don't see arena caps being in the way to anyone other than people want to join up with squaddies and continue working on the same map for the war winning, so that's about 3 or 4 squads of around (guess-timate) 70 people. But that hardly makes up the whole 400-odd people online at peak times between 2 split arenas. I believe for one the hording and ganging is starting to spoil the arenas more than anything else and without the cap system that's more than likely to happen/continue. There's also alot of movement around the arena numbers, one only has to wait a few mins to get into the desired arena anyway.

I like the system as it is, I for one am a happy customer, even if every now and again the caps are in the way, I'd be an uber happy and bouncing off all walls customer if i had mirrors in my plane and the comms system was improved. The off hours arena has been fantastic, spitting up the LW into 2 arenas at peak times has helped the environment, Titanic Tuesday is often a cess pool of horde vs horde with angry/abusive pm's when one often shoots down a cartoon spit16 (of which i have a screenie saved).

If it aint broke don't fix it. And isn't there ENY and perk point bonuses already within the game!?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:14:23 PM by LCADolby »
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Ive never played it, but WW2online doesnt seem to have a problem with 1000 players arenas that Ive heard of.

I'm not going to dogpile on you muzik, especially since I'm somewhere in the middle here, (I shifted over a little after hitech hit me over the head with a logic hammer), but I think we can agree that there is a number in any game where once you reach it you start to have reduced gameplay quality.  I've never played wwiionline but I imagine that 10,000 players in one war would start to degrade gameplay.  So if we call this the stagnation point, each game has a different stagnation point depending on the game itself.  Maybe wwiionline has a higher stagnation point due to the nature of the game and how much more of generic ww2 combat it encompasses.  So maybe 1000 people online in that game is deemed acceptable.  

The point is, we can agree there is a stagnation point in a one arena aces high yes?  Would 10,000 players on one map work? Clearly not.  So what exactly is the stagnation point if it's not around 600-700 as HTC saw fit?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:16:36 PM by grizz441 »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Hitech out of curiosity, if we can agree that each arena has stagnation points, high and low, which are a function in part due to the size of the map, why is the size of the map that is being rotated not tied into formula when the arenas are split?  Or is it?  The point is, a 150 man arena on a giant map is not the same as a 150 man arena on a small map.  The low stagnation point is much higher on a giant map, and in that particular example, 150 players on a giant map, gameplay imo is starting to degrade.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
Hitech out of curiosity, if we can agree that each arena has stagnation points, high and low, which are a function in part due to the size of the map, why is the size of the map that is being rotated not tied into formula when the arenas are split?  Or is it?  The point is, a 150 man arena on a giant map is not the same as a 150 man arena on a small map.  The low stagnation point is much higher on a giant map, and in that particular example, 150 players on a giant map, gameplay imo is starting to degrade.

Because we haven't thought of it before.

May be a good idea,I'm going to have to digest it for a bit.

HiTech

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2011, 03:45:17 PM »
Thats a nice point Grizz, I often feel this way about Noon EST-5PM EST with the off hours.  325 people on small maps in my opinion reaches a stagnate point. While I enjoy the maps, but I feel that 325-400 people on a small map leads to horde on horde combat.  Unfortunatley in my case this is the time I am most often able to play. 

But I am pleased to see HTC working with the clients to try to figure out the happy medium.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #252 on: March 18, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »
Because we haven't thought of it before.

May be a good idea,I'm going to have to digest it for a bit.

HiTech

Excellent! IMO, the next thing that needs attention is the arena change early afternoon. Too often in the afternoon there is a really good fight going and it ends cause the  arena closes. There must be a better way.. I do not know what it is.. But I know there is a better way..

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
My thought has always been lock the LWOH as far as allowing people to enter.  Open Orange in, when the levels equalize then allow people into LWOH (aka Blue).
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2011, 04:43:53 PM »
My thought has always been lock the LWOH as far as allowing people to enter.  Open Orange in, when the levels equalize then allow people into LWOH (aka Blue).

5Point, the problem with this method is the time it takes to populate the arenas.
The point of the eject is to reach critical mass as fast as possible. If you are only depending on influx, my guess it would take 2-3 hours to get blue and orange to 100 each. VS the 20 mins it normally takes now.

2nd you run into the problem of people staying in the LWOH and then when most of the people are gone, starting to a  milk run of bases.

HiTech