Author Topic: Arena cap is getting out of hand  (Read 23928 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Arena cap is getting out of hand
« Reply #465 on: April 15, 2011, 12:24:04 PM »
Can you put that in context so we know what your point is? It seems to be saying that there are ships and ground vehicles in addition to the aircraft but I don't think that's how you're reading it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #466 on: April 15, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »
It's obviously a lag issue, but 200-300 people seems to work fine. Also, only certain people lag, which may mean it isn't really a server issue and it's just a player issue (I'm sure there are some people from UK and I know I would never want to play in a FPS tournament with 200+ ping so I'm sure this is no different). I don't mind the two server thing when it's at 200/200, but when it's capped at 100/100 that's just silly.

Sorry I missed your answer. No it's not lag. More people subscribe with a split late war arena. This requires a way to populate both arenas with enough players so we have the caps. It also creates other issues so we have the off peak arena. It's one of those evolutionary developments whose need isn't immediately obvious.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #467 on: April 15, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »
:lol

Muzik is that it, backpeddling already?  What war have you ever seen that was fair?   What war-maker of any kind would not use the most unfair means to win, if he found em? 

Which verbiage is twisting, vainglorious, excessive?  Is it amalgamation?  That one's common in my native language, and the meaning fits where I used it.  So if it fits, how is it excessive or twisting or vainglorious?  I think you have some serious trouble with words.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #468 on: April 16, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »
Nothing is broken, when an arena is full it will not show you the extra people in the arena.

HiTech

Why is this advantageous?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #469 on: April 16, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
Why is this advantageous?

i wont try to speak for hitech, but personally i've noticed blue and orange are more equally populated.  the fact that blue has often become the new orange in the last few weeks tells it. It seems that people don't waste their time trying to get into the bigger arena, because they can't tell which one is actually more populated (especially with the new 80%).

it almost has the same effect as just having an arena show "Full", which I also would have been in favor of.

if his intention is two evenly populated arenas, it seems to work.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »
i wont try to speak for hitech...
...if his intention is two evenly populated arenas, it seems to work.

This
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2011, 08:55:10 AM »
Arena CAP's are better for HTC business.
End of discussion.
I guess it was not the end of discussion. :old:
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »
I guess it was not the end of discussion. :old:
It is the final answer.

Offline mausil

• Zinc Member
« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2011, 03:28:21 PM »
Muzik: I'll give you the quick version, for any more go do some reading on social dynamics.

When groups are small they can manage them self, a group of 10 people can play together and moderate themselves. If one person is going out side the bounds/rules of the group. The 10 people can deal with the person and either have him change his behavior or remove him from the group.

Has groups get larger and larger people start becoming  anonymous and start viewing the group as only a group and not individual people. As this effect gets larger the social structure of the group brakes down and people become more disruptive with out many social consequences.
As far as the business side it really is VERY simple, we had hit an artificial ceiling and the player count had reached it's maximum in one arena. It had reached a point where more people would degrade the play, and as people came more people left and more people choose not to become subscribers, the number of total players of AH had STOPPED growing.

As soon as we split the arenas, even with all the complaints and whines when we did, we started growing again the same week we split the arena.

HiTech

:aok :old: :cheers:
MAUSIL

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:37 AM »
I don't run my squad so you'll have to talk to dhyran about it. Give it a shot I don't mind.

The problem is, when a large squad migrates into a low-populated arena, it automatic set ENY to 40 for that country ,( unless you split up the squad into 3 countries  :huh )
We have been there, done that, coming into an arena with less than 40 online.

Fighting tempests/51d's  in Bf109e's  or P40's might not be what we want switching arena to keep our squad together.

Also the reminder pilots in the non-capped arena spots the opportunity to jump to 100-capped arena, since 14 seats are just available in the 100-capped arena instead of fighting low vs many numbers giving us 40 still there , where 1/3rd is from our squad.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2011, 08:29:34 AM »

The problem is, when a large squad migrates into a low-populated arena, it automatic set ENY to 40 for that country

Don't you think completely exaggerated and non-factual statements like that could discredit your argumentation as a whole? ;)

Fighting tempests/51d's  in Bf109e's  or P40's might not be what we want switching arena to keep our squad together.

First, no need to fly a 109E if you do not want to, much more capable planes are still at your disposal. And you nicely skip the fact that to get max ENY, you have to massively outnumber your opponent. So its more like 3-4 of you vs one single tempest :)
And in LW, even ENY values >20 are quite rare btw, and very temporary.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:33:00 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »
Lusche we are been capped 26-40 , 30-40 mostly after the other countries guys log and go to the 10-15 free seats in the other arena now open.

We have seen that happen more than once.

Also valid still is Ripley's comment that we overpower both the other countries together, since we are not the only guys flying Rooks exclusive, and we don't want to split squad into countries to fight each other ( even though, we do that in the AVA to have some hardcore action sometimes.)

What normally happens is the Europeans part of the squad log.

In Warbirds this was common too during Euro TZ , Dhyran's squad 'Parrots' easily outnumbered the others side alone.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:46:58 AM by save »
-Caldera

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2011, 08:46:09 AM »
Lusche we are been capped 26-40 , 30-40 mostly after the other countries guys log and go to the 10-15 free seats in the other arena now open.

Still you never ever get an ENY of 40. Maximum ENY is limited to 29. You are never forced to fly 109'Es
ENY above 20 happens, but is very rare to last for longer than 15-20 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:48:10 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:39 AM »
Ok thanks for the clarification Lusche, I stand corrected.

I normally fly a the FW190a8 or A5 ,  and they are not always available, so i resort flying 109G2/6
When that happens getting results against spit16/La7's hiding in field acks are slim for me as an individual ( thinking K/D).

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:56:37 AM by save »
-Caldera

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #479 on: April 20, 2011, 06:54:01 PM »
What about taking the split score and getting rid of that? Make the arenas truly split and knock off the semi- split arenas we have. Maybe some squads will make an arena a home?
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070