Author Topic: Japan Earthquake News  (Read 11758 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Japan Earthquake News
« Reply #495 on: April 14, 2011, 09:30:08 AM »
I'm guessing the future is reactors that have enough damping authority that they don't need cooling once shut down.

It would impact efficiency but it seems that safety is getting a lot more attention as of recent.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #496 on: April 14, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »
I'm guessing the future is reactors that have enough damping authority that they don't need cooling once shut down.

It would impact efficiency but it seems that safety is getting a lot more attention as of recent.

Exactly.

Self quenching is the way to go..

Failure mode = default to safe mode = off mode.

It's insane to build a fire you cannot put out.

These boiling water reactors were a "rush job" in the 60s that sacrificed safety for cost savings.

Regards,
Sun

Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2011, 08:00:42 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:44:27 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2011, 04:55:20 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:44:05 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:06:19 AM by Sundowner »

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #500 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:43:43 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #502 on: April 20, 2011, 06:11:16 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 01:42:54 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #503 on: April 21, 2011, 04:55:46 AM »
 :(

FUTABA, Japan -- Residents rushed back into the 12-mile (20-kilometer) evacuation zone around Japan's radiation-spewing nuclear power plant Thursday, grabbing whatever belongings they could before an order went into effect legally banning entry to the area.

A stream of evacuees ventured into deserted towns near the plant, some in white protective suits and others in face masks and rain gear they hoped would protect against radiation. Most raced through the zone with car windows closed, their vehicles crammed with clothing and valuables.

"This is our last chance, but we aren't going to stay long. We are just getting what we need and getting out," said Kiyoshi Kitajima, an X-ray technician, who dashed to his hospital in Futaba, a town next-door to the plant, to collect equipment before the order went into effect at midnight.

Officials said the order announced Thursday was meant to limit exposure to radiation leaking from the plant and to prevent thefts. Almost all the zone's nearly 80,000 residents left when the area was evacuated on March 12, but police had not been able to legally block them from going back.

Police had no estimate Thursday of the exact number of people who have returned to the zone or who still might be living there.

Under a special nuclear emergency law, people who enter the zone will now be subject to fines of up to 100,000 yen ($1,200) or possible detention of up to 30 days. Up to now, defiance of the evacuation order was not punishable by law.

The order angered some residents who fled their homes nearly empty-handed when they were told to evacuate after last month's tsunami and earthquake wrecked the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant's power and cooling systems....."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/04/20/japan-strictly-enforce-evacuation-zone-nuke-plant/

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »
In other news attached to this the company that I contract for sold 4 (2x 62 meter and 2 x 70 meter reach) concrete pumps to TEPCO and they are beginning to get ready to move these behemoth pumps up to the reactor areas so they can start pumping concrete into the reactor areas for the sarcophagus' like they did at Chernobyl. By the way the same pump company that did that in Soviet Russia is the one that sold the pumps to TEPCO. The trucks are undergoing refit to have lead sheets added to the cabs now so they can be driven and operated on site. 3 of my buddies are in Tokyo right now helping to train operators and helping to refit the trucks. The two 70 meter pumps were flown from the US to Tokyo and the 2nd 62 meter is being flown from Germany to Tokyo right now.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2011, 10:41:13 AM »
In other news attached to this the company that I contract for sold 4 (2x 62 meter and 2 x 70 meter reach) concrete pumps to TEPCO and they are beginning to get ready to move these behemoth pumps up to the reactor areas so they can start pumping concrete into the reactor areas for the sarcophagus' like they did at Chernobyl. By the way the same pump company that did that in Soviet Russia is the one that sold the pumps to TEPCO. The trucks are undergoing refit to have lead sheets added to the cabs now so they can be driven and operated on site. 3 of my buddies are in Tokyo right now helping to train operators and helping to refit the trucks. The two 70 meter pumps were flown from the US to Tokyo and the 2nd 62 meter is being flown from Germany to Tokyo right now.

Keep us updated if you can.

And, Sundowner, if all you're going to do is copy and paste a Fox News Story attached with a short anti-nuclear jab, please refrain from posting in this thread, start an anti-nuclear thread if that's your agenda.
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »
 Fukushima I Plant Retired, TEPCO Exec. to Step Down Due to Negligence

"TEPCO President vows to step down for endangering public by failing to waterproof plant's backup generators

Fukushima I's reactor 1 had been operation since 1970.  Prior to the disaster it was scheduled to be decommissioned in April.  Reactors 2-4, built in the 1970s were expected to soon follow."

#1 was supposed to be decommissioned in April? I'm sure they would gone for an extension just like all the plants here. 

http://www.dailytech.com/Fukushima+I+Plant+Retired+TEPCO+Exec+to+Step+Down+Due+to+Negligence/article21449.htm

"Most plants have hardly any coverage. Nuke insurance said too costly."
"From the U.S. to Japan, it's illegal to drive a car without sufficient insurance, yet governments have chosen to run the world's 443 nuclear power plants with hardly any insurance coverage whatsoever. The Fukushima No. 1 nuclear disaster, which will leave taxpayers with a massive bill, highlights one of the industry's key weaknesses — that nuclear power is a viable source for cheap energy only if plants go uninsured. The plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., had no disaster insurance"
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110423a2.html

The US underwrites the insurance for its nuclear power plants as all other countries do. That insurance is paid by the taxpayer if theres an accident. The taxpayer also pays to build them.

So much for cheap energy

Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
Fukushima I Plant Retired, TEPCO Exec. to Step Down Due to Negligence

"TEPCO President vows to step down for endangering public by failing to waterproof plant's backup generators

Fukushima I's reactor 1 had been operation since 1970.  Prior to the disaster it was scheduled to be decommissioned in April.  Reactors 2-4, built in the 1970s were expected to soon follow."

#1 was supposed to be decommissioned in April? I'm sure they would gone for an extension just like all the plants here. 

http://www.dailytech.com/Fukushima+I+Plant+Retired+TEPCO+Exec+to+Step+Down+Due+to+Negligence/article21449.htm

"Most plants have hardly any coverage. Nuke insurance said too costly."
"From the U.S. to Japan, it's illegal to drive a car without sufficient insurance, yet governments have chosen to run the world's 443 nuclear power plants with hardly any insurance coverage whatsoever. The Fukushima No. 1 nuclear disaster, which will leave taxpayers with a massive bill, highlights one of the industry's key weaknesses — that nuclear power is a viable source for cheap energy only if plants go uninsured. The plant's operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co., had no disaster insurance"
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110423a2.html

The US underwrites the insurance for its nuclear power plants as all other countries do. That insurance is paid by the taxpayer if theres an accident. The taxpayer also pays to build them.

So much for cheap energy

Governments understand that insurances are just a big scam. They're built to make profit so the taxpayers would by default end up paying more in the end. For a private person insurance can be like a lottery - if you happen to need it you may even end up winning some. Most insurance customers just lose their money and each time the company has to actually pay out something, everyone gets to pay higher rates after it.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2011, 12:26:01 PM »
Governments understand that insurances are just a big scam. They're built to make profit so the taxpayers would by default end up paying more in the end. For a private person insurance can be like a lottery - if you happen to need it you may even end up winning some. Most insurance customers just lose their money and each time the company has to actually pay out something, everyone gets to pay higher rates after it.

No .....there is no insurance company that will insure them.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2011, 12:30:20 PM »
Cool if it works as advertised

"Chemist: I Can Clean Fukushima Water Faster"
A Japanese chemist claims he has developed a powder substance in less than a month that he says could decontaminate the toxic water 20 times faster than the French method, thereby significantly accelerating progress toward the ultimate goal of cold shutdown.

In Mr. Ohta’s version, once the radioactive material is captured it then precipitates, drawing the irradiated parts out from the water, which then fall into a murky pile at the bottom of a container leaving the rest of the liquid clear much like an undisturbed snow globe. In experiments, scientists added 15 milligrams of powder to 100 milliliters of water steeped in non-radioactive cesium that had been dissolved at a density of 1-10 parts per million. (The densities of radioactive substances at Fukushima Daiichi are estimated at about 10 ppm; Mr. Ohta said the powder can handle densities as high as 100 ppm.) The purification process was completed 10 minutes later, according to Mr. Ohta, adding that the process would not take much longer than 10 minutes even if treating thousands of tons of water at a time.

“Almost 100% of radioactivity will be removed (from the water),” said Mr. Ohta.

Mr. Ohta said the substance could be used to help cleanup efforts at Fukushima Daiichi immediately as soon as several water treatment facilities are built like the unit being erected by Areva. Researchers did not use radioactive substances in the experiment, but Mr. Ohta said he’s confident the powder would produce the same results regardless because the chemical properties are the same."

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2011/04/21/chemist-i-can-clean-fukushima-water-faster/