Author Topic: Need a Little Help with Views in the Bombsight  (Read 477 times)

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
Need a Little Help with Views in the Bombsight
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:51:37 AM »
  I fly off and on, so am fairly familiar with the game and its controls. But I decided I wanted to bomb a little. I followed the instructions in the training section and hit F6 to get the bombsight view. But when I hit the 8 key to look forward, it takes me out of the bombsight view and I'm looking through the bombers cockpit (A Ju88 in this case). Mayve I have my keys mapped wrong?
  Thanks for any help.
   230G
If you approach from me from my 12:00 you will be unapologetically HO'ed.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Need a Little Help with Views in the Bombsight
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:34 AM »
Keypad 8 is an alternate forward view which is separate from the default forward view.
The default forward view is the down view in the bomb sight. Try forward/up keypad 8+5 to look forward in the bomb sight.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:29:03 AM by FLS »

Offline 230G

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
Try forward/up keypad 8+5 to look forward in the bomb sight.

I did try that to no avail. Also forgot to mention: when I'm in the bombsight, if I line up my cursor with the vertical crosshair and left click, it fires the forward machine gun (I'm still in a Ju88). Right click the mouse and it drops my external bombs!!! :mad:

Are there two problems related?
  Thanks,
   230G
If you approach from me from my 12:00 you will be unapologetically HO'ed.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:17:31 AM »
Sorry, I fly bombers about once a year. It may not be possible to look forward once the bomb sight is calibrated except with the view you're getting. The bombing help on the trainer's page shows KP8 giving you the forward cockpit view.

Sounds like you're flying with a mouse. Use key "h" to toggle mouse control. If you aren't flying with a mouse check your controller mapping.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:59 AM »
The purpose of hitting "8" is just to let you see where you're heading prior to the release point.  The further out your are the smaller the course correction will need to be to stay on target.  By putting the cursor on the target bomb sight target you get a reference point while looking up so you can see where you're going.  Since the bomb sight is following your flight path by placing the cursor on it then looking up from the sight you can use it as a navigational reference point to help line you up with a distant target prior to the final bomb run.

Hope that helps.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
I would suggest getting that last visual fix before going to the bombsight.

Either jump to nose gun, and line up from there, or go to external view (I use F3) and line the formation up to fly over the target at max visual range. Then calibrate, once calibrated you can use rudders to make small corrections.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »
  I did try that to no avail. Also forgot to mention: when I'm in the bombsight, if I line up my cursor with the vertical crosshair and left click, it fires the forward machine gun (I'm still in a Ju88). Right click the mouse and it drops my external bombs!!! :mad:

Are there two problems related?
  Thanks,
   230G

If you went to "*" view and pressed "fire" then yes the guns would shoot,then if you press fire secondary the bombs will drop.Which set of bombs drop depends on the loadout and which bombs are selected.

You have to select the bombs in the bombbay by pressing the backspace key to select to proper ords.

A simply look through the map key will show you whats mapped the which key and also allow you to modify to your liking.

Mapkeys are found on the clipboard map,options,controls,map keys.Select the proper subheading on the left,flight,global,views,etc.and all the information is there.

Hope that helps.

:salute