Author Topic: XP and optical drives w/ SATA interface...W7 crashes  (Read 420 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
XP and optical drives w/ SATA interface...W7 crashes
« on: March 14, 2011, 11:31:31 PM »
Last week I discovered my XP OS wasnt able to run stable anymore. As it turned out the reason was a SATA DVD burner which when unhooked allows XP to run fine. Has anyone else noticed this?

So... unhooking the drive fixed that problem but also my W7 crashes have disappeared. I have been testing both W7 32 and 64 bit without a UPS USB line unhooking the SATA DVD cleared up all crashes. I have had no crashes for more than a week. You might want to try that if you are having problems.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: XP and optical drives w/ SATA interface...W7 crashes
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:38:57 PM »
I run XP Pro with 4 SATA HD's and 2 SATA optical drives with no problems.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:10:39 AM »
Yes and I thought I was having no issues either. Then XP started giving me a nvgts.sys BSOD and researching that indicated a SATA optical drive incompatibility. Point is though... IF you are having the "Aces High has stopped responding" problem and running W7 64 bit this gives you something to try. Unplug your SATA DVD and see!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 01:00:08 PM »
Last week I discovered my XP OS wasnt able to run stable anymore. As it turned out the reason was a SATA DVD burner which when unhooked allows XP to run fine. Has anyone else noticed this?

So... unhooking the drive fixed that problem but also my W7 crashes have disappeared. I have been testing both W7 32 and 64 bit without a UPS USB line unhooking the SATA DVD cleared up all crashes. I have had no crashes for more than a week. You might want to try that if you are having problems.

This is troubleshootings second rule - unplug every device that isn't necessary for action and try if problem still exists. First rule is to remove all bios tweaks and return to stock settings (especially get rid of overclock).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:08:54 PM »
got a brand and model number on that drive?

i've seen some plextors do that...firmware issue...makes me wonder if you had a compatibility issue.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:32:17 PM »
This particular problem might be due to low power to the USB hub.  We have discovered Windows (all versions) gets really confused and streams messages to all the applications opened when the USB bus power fluctuates.

It is normally no problem, but since we added support for being able to hot swap/plug USB stick devices, we became susceptible to the errant messages.  Messages that appear to be legitimate, but are not.  There is no way to know.

The SATA bus also suffers the same problem.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 05:48:20 AM »
This is exactly what Skuzzy says it is. I have been working from minimum devices up and with varying devices to discover what the problem is exactly. This particular problem is common among lesser motherboards but when I say lesser I dont mean they suck just that they arent top of the line. The FTW line of Evga doesnt seem to suffer the same problem for instance but the more standard SLI line does. Im hoping to move everything about AH over to a FTW board next and avoid these problems. Not sure about the 1155s but you know I have to try one!