Author Topic: Help with P47?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: Help with P47?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »

Umm,  I think YUCCA and NOMDE are on top of the JUG ladder, YUCCA getting a slight edge for his "slow" control of the beast  IMHO <-- "very humble opinion"   :t

JUGgler

Notice I said "most lethal" and not the best stick.  Wolfala is probably in the top 5 top Jug sticks, but he is the most lethal I know of.  He can land 10 kills in one P-47N sortie easily and that reference was in regard to setting up guns, not ACM.  BluKitty is the top stick, in my opinion, with Yucca being a close 2nd.  Nomde is up there as well, but its just my opinion.

And, as far as the altitude suggestion I made--this guy is just starting out in the Jug.  If he tries flying around 500' AGL trying to learn to fight the plane, he will fail, get discouraged, and move on to something else.  Just because you can do it doesn't mean its something he should try in the first few months of trying to learn the plane.  Heck, I've turn-fought Spit 16's in a November Jug and won, but I'm not going to advise anyone starting out to do that until they know what they can get away with.  Crawl-walk-run.  Once he learns the basics on how to fight and survive, then he can figure out just how far out on the ragged edge he wants to take it.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »
I guess I have been gone for so long I have been forgotten.  :rolleyes:

Vlkyrie1

Offline ML52

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 03:04:09 PM »
I just printed the info from warty's original post, is the D-30 similar to the D-40?. I'm finding that when flying the D-11 taking a DT and 75% fuel then letting the dt go after I get to 15k seems to work best for me. I am still trying to get used to the spread convergence you mention juggler, but it does seem to help so thanks.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 07:19:13 PM »
I just printed the info from warty's original post, is the D-30 similar to the D-40?. I'm finding that when flying the D-11 taking a DT and 75% fuel then letting the dt go after I get to 15k seems to work best for me. I am still trying to get used to the spread convergence you mention juggler, but it does seem to help so thanks.

I will say this in all honesty. If you want to improve in the JUG "or any plane for that matter" you must put yourself in positions that are difficult to come out "smelling like roses" from. Being at the disadvantage most of the time will teach you great defensive flying as welll as expedite your learning of  "turning the tables" on your foe! I would suggest a "personal commitment" on your part to never go above 5K unless actively in a fight! 5K is plenty of alt for any plane to equalize E states at the critical moment! After being shot down zillions of times you will begin to see the light!

One very important tidbit about JUG flying, If you win, in almost all cases it is cause your opponent made a mistake. The JUG is outclassed by virtually every "reasonable" fighter in the game! so you could say the "default" setting on the JUG is to LOSE!  :aok

JUGgler
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:23:57 PM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »
I'm finding that when flying the D-11 taking a DT and 75% fuel then letting the dt go after I get to 15k seems to work best for me.

You'll climb a bit faster with the extra internal fuel instead of the drop tank.  The weight is about the same, but you don't have the drag.  If the centerline was bigger, I'd go with it, but at 75 gallons, I go internal.  YMMV
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
This is all great information, more graduate or Phd level info. I think the first trick is don't meet JUGler in combat. haha

I would start with basic concepts like barrel rolls, low n hi yo-yo, what a boom and zoom is versus turn and burn. After some of the basic manuevers, learning to watch speed, I would shift into the set-up, when to engage, etc. Before, during and after that working on gunnery. I do all of my guns at 400m, though I never fly the Jug.

About the only real add to this thread is consider most of the great pilots are BnZ and when it comes to turn fighting they get fancy with stall turns. All the rest seems to be rookie stuff.

Just my observations.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 12:09:45 AM »
Couldn't get an N or an M tonight because of rook #s, but had fun in a D-25. Had 1 four kill hop where I think I never made it over 5k. Mostly luck though.

What would you do with a spit at 8-10k, and you at 5k? I had that tonight, did a split S the first time, but the second time, he followed me in the split S, and so I started a rolling scissors, but I wasn't watching my speed and crapped out at the top of one of my rolls and got blasted. The spit really didn't overshoot much on the 2nd splitS (at all), so I think maybe he shed some speed to stay with me.

also: when you are at top of zoom, are you using anything fancy to turn around? When I get under 150/125 at the top of a zoom, the jug is just wallowing around. I'd like to do rudder reversals or even a hammerhead, but not good enough to get it to work. Do you typically just do a wingover in a jug? I followed an F4U up today and watched him to a sweet rudder reversal right in front of me.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 12:13:35 AM »
I think the first trick is don't meet JUGler in combat. haha

I disagree. Part of learning how to fight in a plane is learning not to run away, or avoid, an opponent. Fighting back has more rewards than running away, even if it means getting shot down.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »
J
  If you can't get the shot with 3 notches, you're probably not going to get it.  

Iirc, two notches of flaps give best sustained turn rate, which is what most people are thinking of when considering "out-turning" the other fellow.

If bandit alts are high or variable, one might consider cruising somewhat higher than normal, in the 15K-20K range. This ensures that one will either A. Join battle at alts where the Jug's MIL/cruise speed is more competitive than other rides or B. Generally have the drop on the fight.

I've done alot of time in the D-11 in the furball lake. The thing the Jug does well besides boom and zoom and roll is dump speed and fly slow well. Note, I didn't say turn well at low speeds, I said fly well...it will just sort of sit there at ridiculously low speeds. Lots of people will fly by. But note this strategy is a *last* resort, it may work well against the bandit you are fighting, it also leaves you exceedingly vulnerable to the 20 or so other buzzards.

I'll add one more thing-conserve WEP. Come into the battle with the full five minutes, look for a breather to cool it if you look like you are getting close to running out. All Jugs gain tremendously from WEP; In the M and N WEP is the difference between being a LW monster and a pant-load.

Dear Juggler: You have a right to your opinion. However, I already know I am a reasonable "duellist". I have no need to fly as you do, and give up kills to those whose "skill" consists of flying spixteens and N1Kis in large groups to prove anything. The MA is a place of dirty, rotten, pirate stuff. Be the most heinous pirate of them all, I say!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 12:45:53 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »
Just to confirm what BnZ said, you want to fight the Jug as light as possible.  Higher weight is nothing but a performance penalty, regardless of what you perceive. 

I agree in general but there are specific benefits to zooming with a heavier plane. This isn't perception as much as proven through experience. It was most evident to me in some P-40E duels in the DA I had some years back. I wasn't having much success until I took 50% or 75% fuel. A better pilot in the lighter plane was out turning me, but if I merged and just out zoomed him I continued up noticably higher than him and he stalled out several times in his 25%-loaded plane. I was able to roll back down on him much easier. Was about the only time I got a decent kill on him. [edit; He actually complimented me on my E retention too]

Note, however, you're trading turning ability. After 1 or 2 ropes like this he pulled a turn too tight for me to get lead on as I dove down on him for the kill and after that he was able to manuver around me. However if I just wanted pure BnZ that extra fuel meant the difference between being dead in 5 seconds vs a prolonged fight with me above the other guy.

Really depends on if you want to do ANY turning or not. If not, the extra fuel could help in zoom climbs.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
Really depends on if you want to do ANY turning or not. If not, the extra fuel could help in zoom climbs.

Extra weight never helps in zoom climbs.  Mace (F-14 pilot) made that very clear in another thread about the subject.  I can't find it quickly, but its out there.  However, with a lot of weight, if you use low-G maneuvers in the vertical, it will minimize the penalty.

HiTech

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »
This thread is useless without films.   :neener:

RE: Staggered convergence. If you use 65o as a max and stagger back every 25 yards you get a second convergence @ 300 yards for each wing bank of guns.

It didn't really work for me though.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Jed

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
        I have been trying to learn the Jug for the last 5 months.. Mostly the M, and I use the D40 for Jarbo. The N seems to catch fire, after the 1st ping because of all the fuel. 

I have learned that this game is hard. The learning curve is insane, and the jUg is probably not or even close to the 1st plane a person should begin with.

Secondly if it was easy everyone would be doing it. The DA would be full of 47 M's instead of Tyhpoon's, Tempest's and spit 16's.

I have a LONG way to go but have found that using the Jugs big ailerons to roll at high speeds seems to work in a flat scissors. Also I agree with the jugs ability to dump speed quick and fly at 78mph and watch people fly by. That however leaves you with no speed or time to build up any speed.

My last point from someone just learning, is dare I say a complaint and question. I have finally been able to swing my Jug around fast enough to land hits on other planes. Convergence at 35o, landed in close. ONlY to watch them fly away or shoot me down with no damage to their plane?  8 .50 calibers should be a tad more damaging? I have the clips saved? Is it me or does 8 .50's in this game pack a weak punch?

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 02:47:05 AM »
        IIs it me or does 8 .50's in this game pack a weak punch?

The key with Mother Deuce is to make the rounds all hit in the same place.  With a point convergence and good gunnery, you should be able to knock down just about every fighter in-game with no more than a one second burst, excepting maybe the F6F, other P-47s, or FW-190A8s.  If you're scattering rounds up and down the fuselage, don't expect decisive results.

Good luck though--I thought the rest of your comments were very helpful to the OP...

HiTech

Offline Warty

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »
I agree Jug is a terrible choice for a first plane for newbies. I'm like a pseudo-newbie: remember a decent amount of stuff about ACM/etc, have forgotten more; have very little AH-specific knowledge, and have lost a lot of muscle memory and timing (my gunnery is crap for example). I'm also struggling a bit with a switch to the eye camera view thing (can't think of it's name), rather than fixed views on a hat.

OTOH, I'm really enjoying the jug. I found out the "Dueling Arena" is really the "Furball Arena" a couple nights ago, and have been having a blast in there. (I thought it was a kind of 1 on 1 arena for folks who had insulted each other publicly in the MA or something). Sticking with 1 plane is helping, I think.

My feeling so far is that the LA-7 is the scariest opponent I see for a jug. Not sure if I'm right about that, but sure feels that way. I don't even want to engage them when I have an E advantage. Unless they are glued to someone's six.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if anyone had some P47 films that would be useful for Jug newbies to watch. Films with good offensive or defensive maneuvers, etc.