Author Topic: ANy skilled 38 pilots out there  (Read 1728 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: ANy skilled 38 pilots out there
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 08:13:14 AM »
There's actually very little to choose from between the J and L models.  They have the same weight and engine power, the L has the boosted ailerons and the dive flaps.

With all that "logic" and "data" out of the way,  :neener: The J just seems to feel lighter and a bit quicker in the roll for some reason or other.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 08:18:46 AM »
For me (as a Jabo pilot primarily) the main difference are relatively center-mounted rockets
on the -J, as they make hitting GV's far easier.

Other than that, I think you should just find your favorite skin of the two and fly that
particular model with the particular skin :devil
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
You can snap roll the J model. The L doesn't like to snap roll.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 09:24:26 AM »
Let me add the name 8spade. There are probably 5 or 6 real skilled 38 sticks, you have a few of the names. The trick will be to run into anyone of them with time to train. I ran into Delerium in Frame 2 BOG. He was not kind to me in my 109 but my squady 4brkfast sorted that out later.  :aok

Boo
 :salute
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 09:27:05 AM »
No p38 pilots. i shot all down.

:D
mobilis in mobile

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29:06 AM »
Except one that come in my dreams when i have high fever.

:D  :D
mobilis in mobile

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
Del, Pawz, Lazer, and 8Spade

Probably the 4 best I have ever fought.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »
For me (as a Jabo pilot primarily) the main difference are relatively center-mounted rockets
on the -J, as they make hitting GV's far easier.

Other than that, I think you should just find your favorite skin of the two and fly that
particular model with the particular skin :devil

Just keep in mind that you're going to pay a higher drag penalty from the bazooka tubes than the christmas tree rack on the L model.  I tend to fly the G more these days because I'm big history dweeb.  Before that I flew the J but mostly because I liked the skins on it more. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »
38G looks better :)

The  38J we have is an earlier J-10-or J-15 without power assisted ailerons or the dive flap.  The 38L has power assisted controls and the dive flap so it should roll faster then the J.

I've read in a number of places where pilots who went from the early J to an L struggled a bit getting used to the sensitivity of the controls as they were used to hauling the 38 around without help.

For whatever reason many folks feel more comfortable in the 38J over the L.  Most times if I run into an L it's someone lugging ord, not looking for a fight.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 11:19:27 PM »
You can snap roll the J model. The L doesn't like to snap roll.
I noticed this, why is it like this
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »
I noticed this, why is it like this

I tried this again and I can snap roll the L model now. The last time I tried I couldn't do it and I thought I had done it in the past.  :headscratch:

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 01:18:55 PM »
I tried this again and I can snap roll the L model now. The last time I tried I couldn't do it and I thought I had done it in the past.  :headscratch:
In the MA my favorite overshoot weapon for the 38 was the tumble climb, there is a YouTube video of it, but I tried to do it in a L and couldnt
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »
In the MA my favorite overshoot weapon for the 38 was the tumble climb, there is a YouTube video of it, but I tried to do it in a L and couldnt

Not sure what speeds you were trying to do it at but there was a small tweak to the 38L's flight performance awhile back.  They discovered a bug that resulted in the L not getting full power from the engines and very slow speeds (for get the number but it was like 150-100, something like that I think).
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »
Just to add my .02c

For the question of the J v L ...I find the J a much harder prospect than the L....fighting the same person (8spade) I have an easier time...last more turns...when he is in the L...

Even that comparison aside...from my side the J seems to be a much harder fight than the L, not sure if it all comes down to pilot skill or what but that is what I find...and if I see a G...then I run...cause uberness is in that one (pilot that is) :lol :lol :D..Actually, I think I've even fought 8spade when he was in one of them too../.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
not sure if it all comes down to pilot skill or what but that is what I find...and if I see a G...then I run...cause uberness is in that one (pilot that is) :lol :lol :D

Funny you should say that.  I was noticing a couple evenings ago that it did seem like some opponents were avoiding me and I wondered if the 38s have developed a reputation for being piloted by some of the more talented sticks in the game.  It made me chuckle, if only the folks trying to avoid my P38 had engaged, they would have found me to be a pretty easy kill.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder