Author Topic: Just when I thought arena caps couldn't get any more idiotic...  (Read 2973 times)

Offline PuppetZ

• Nickel Member
Re: Gosh darn it this arena cap this is getting out of hand!!!!!!
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
COOL! Now you sure the caps mean no cap? If so I'd like 2 boxes of them. Do you offer the WTF blanket for cats?  :lol
LCDR. Frank 'PuppetZ' Perreault, Squadron intelligence officer

VF-17 Jolly Rogers
'Kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson is : never try'

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Just when I thought arena caps couldn't get any more idiotic...
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »
What is the reason for the caps then in your opinnion?

Hitech has stated that arena populations over a certain size degrade gameplay. We have 2 arenas to limit the max size except for Tuesdays. Titanic Tuesday is an exception for those players who'd like to fly with 500-600 players at once.

As others have stated, since we have 2 arenas, the dynamic caps are in place to populate both arenas.This makes the open arena less likely to be dead.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 10:40:23 AM »
Hitech has stated that arena populations over a certain size degrade gameplay. We have 2 arenas to limit the max size except for Tuesdays. Titanic Tuesday is an exception for those players who'd like to fly with 500-600 players at once.

As others have stated, since we have 2 arenas, the dynamic caps are in place to populate both arenas.This makes the open arena less likely to be dead.

Personally, I think the current caps setup works pretty well most of the time.  I also believe that the recent rash of complaining about the caps is blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion.

Just my opinion.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
Hitech has stated that arena populations over a certain size degrade gameplay.

Dingdingding! And why is high population bad? Density of players i.e. rolling hordes which affect gameplay adversely.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »
i haven't seen tt over 360 for a while now...seems all the players who don't like the mass b.s. fest either don't log in, or go to another arena...considering on most other days, "happy hours" both arenas get over 250 players each before 11 p.m. central...it's a pretty good indication that arena caps are working and that more people accept the limits than than don't.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 10:47:51 AM »

Trust me, Hitech, I stay *despite* the caps. And that goes for every single player I've taked to about it in the arena.

I'll go ahead and add a +1 to this statement.

No point arguing about it, I just don't think it's gonna change.

But I agree 100% Loki. The ONLY thing that has ever irritated me to the point that I would leave this game is the idiotic manner that the arena caps sometimes work in.... that being said it is a LOT BETTER since the switch to the LWOH set-up (based on the hours during which I normally able to play)... but prior to that, I can tell you, if there were a decent competitor in the WWII flight sim market otherwise....
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »
Dingdingding! And why is high population bad? Density of players i.e. rolling hordes which affect gameplay adversely.

That's your interpretation of why it's bad. I don't believe that is what Hitech was concerned about.

Personally, I think the current caps setup works pretty well most of the time.  I also believe that the recent rash of complaining about the caps is blown waaaaaaaay out of proportion.

Just my opinion.

How big a problem it is for an individual player depends on what time of day they typically log on. For some people it's a regular annoying problem.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:13 AM »
i haven't seen tt over 360 for a while now...seems all the players who don't like the mass b.s. fest either don't log in, or go to another arena...considering on most other days, "happy hours" both arenas get over 250 players each before 11 p.m. central...it's a pretty good indication that arena caps are working and that more people accept the limits than than don't.

'Most other days' titanic arena would most likely be just as full. Do you see complains on 200 that there are too many players? There _are_ complains about too many players of only one side at one field though. But that can happen with 10 players and 3 sides.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
'Most other days' titanic arena would most likely be just as full.
i don't think so...i generally log in at 6:30 central every week day and there are usually more people online in all the arenas m,w,th,f than there are on tuesdays...whether that's because the bars aren't running specials or tuesdays are family nights for the squeakers...i don't know but, try tracking it yourself.

prime time tomorrow night you will see somewhere in the neighborhood of 325-375 in tt...the rest of the week days there will be 225-260 in each lw arena with another 60-75 total scattered in the other arenas.

i just checked lwoh and there were 126 on it...
jarhed  

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
I suggest you to do so if you don't understand that hordes are the reason arena caps were introduced in the first place. Too many players at once produce group movements that eat away any chance of individual fights.

I believe you are right here Rip, but even with the caps, the "hordes" persist.  I don't think they can be killed off in our current version of AH and the arena CAPS sure aren't fixing the assumed problem.

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 11:10:03 AM »
i just checked lwoh and there were 126 on it...

The timezone of the prime gaming time is probably over the ocean at the moment lol. Fish don't subscribe.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »
The timezone of the prime gaming time is probably over the ocean at the moment lol. Fish don't subscribe.
lol...i know that...must be an off day, there are sometimes ~200 around this time.
jarhed  

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
Re: Gosh darn it this arena cap this is getting out of hand!!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 11:27:42 AM »
Too funny zoom lol  :rofl

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 12:02:50 PM »
I suggest you to do so if you don't understand that hordes are the reason arena caps were introduced in the first place. Too many players at once produce group movements that eat away any chance of individual fights.

Wrong.  Caps were put in place to try to more quickly populate both LW arenas to roughly the same number of players in each - because without them, the sheep mentality would have everyone trying to get into "the more populated" arena and we'd still have numbers higher than what HT deemed to be the "critical mass" that stifled player subscription growth.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »
Wrong.  Caps were put in place to try to more quickly populate both LW arenas to roughly the same number of players in each - because without them, the sheep mentality would have everyone trying to get into "the more populated" arena and we'd still have numbers higher than what HT deemed to be the "critical mass" that stifled player subscription growth.

How can you say wrong and then concur with what I just said? Critical mass = too high density of players on one arena = horde when it happens locally.