Author Topic: P63  (Read 19167 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: P63
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 01:55:56 PM »
also i got a model of the plane and on the box is a japanese twin engine plane. umm if someone could identify the plane for me. that would be great thank you.
Ki-46-III.

That would likely be a rare kill for a P-61 as the Ki-46-III was significantly faster than the P-61A or P-61B.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline fullmetalbullet

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:17 PM »
Ki-46-III.

That would likely be a rare kill for a P-61 as the Ki-46-III was significantly faster than the P-61A or P-61B.

ahh thank you.
"Cry Havoc, And Let Slip The Dogs Of War" Julius Caesar

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
I normally fly the D model.....

I'd suggest getting some 39Q time in then.  It will fill your wish for a 63.  Different beast then the D with wep and a bit more punch
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Imowface

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
I started flying the Q, it is a really neat pplane when you get the hang of it
Ла-5 Пилот снова
NASA spent 12 million dollars to develop a pen that could work in space, Russia went to space with pencils...

Offline Mystery

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
If I posted a well documented, research supported history of the P-63 in combat operations....would it change the mind of any of the anti P63 crowd out there?

I've avoided posting earlier since I didn't want to get flamed.

Here are the highlights:
1) It is extremely unlikely (but remotely possible) that Ivan used the P-63 against the Luftwaffe. Can't be proved, isn't documented from anything I can find.
2) The P-63 was indeed used in Russian combat operations in squadron strength
3) The P-63 does have a kill record, but it is unimpressive

My gut and the AH2 criteria for inclusion says the P-63 is just barely acceptable for inclusion in the game. Just barely.

However, it certainly would be a hoot to fly and I don't think it would be a LW hangar queen at all. My opinion only.
Anyway - any interest in what I've found? History, performance specs, loadouts, suggested uses in AH and some rudimentary skins
No, no, no. That molecule is caffeine.

Offline Mystery

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »
Think:

* P39Q with 50% more power, much more speed and the ability to carry rockets, multiple drop tanks and/or 3x500 lb bombs, and 58 rounds of 37mm that can operate above 12K feet
* A YAK-9T with ordinance carrying capability
* A 109K4 with much less power-to-weight but ord-carrying capability
* A 190 A8 with less guns but more speed, acceleration and low speed handling

* The same so-so views as the P39Q but with similar spectacular roll-rate - and a small target

Food for thought. Plus it's my favorite plane  :)
No, no, no. That molecule is caffeine.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
i believe it will be added eventually, but first there are some huge gap fillers that need to be addressed.

for instance the Ki-43
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
1) It is extremely unlikely (but remotely possible) that Ivan used the P-63 against the Luftwaffe. Can't be proved, isn't documented from anything I can find.

Actually, the entirely uncomfirmable rumors of P-63s secretly replacing P-39s in combat vs. the Luftwaffe is one of the main arguments being used FOR the P-63 in most threads

2) The P-63 was indeed used in Russian combat operations in squadron strength

Yes, the P-63 spent ONE WEEK in squadron strength near the war zone. However no one has so far provided hard information (IE, combat logs and mission reports) that they got much closer to the enemy than did other almost-made-its like the P-51H. Most of these arguments are of the "The P-63 was being saved for use against Japan and the Russians were at war with Japan for a week, so P-63s MUST have been deployed...." variety.

3) The P-63 does have a kill record, but it is unimpressive

I've seen this bandied about (specifically, 1 Ki-43 claimed) however I can't recall anyone, when asked, being able to provide any sort of verifiable records as to when and where said engagement occurred.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 06:19:52 PM »

I've seen this bandied about (specifically, 1 Ki-43 claimed) however I can't recall anyone, when asked, being able to provide any sort of verifiable records as to when and where said engagement occurred.

For what it's worth.  It's the only thing were I've seen any specifics regarding the supposed P-63 victory.

Soviet Naval Aerial Kills in August 1945
by George Mellinger, Twin Cities Aero Historians

It seems the Soviets generally met little opposition in the air during their brief war against Japan in August 1945, Operation Autumn Storm, and suffered most of their losses to anti-aircraft fire and to non-combat causes. There has been mention of one incident when an Army pilot, Jr. Lt. Miroshnichenko, of the 17 IAP flying the P-63 Kingcobra shot down a Ki-43 or K-27 fighter, while operating on the Transbaikal Front out of Mongolia.. Undoubtedly at least a few other Soviet Army Air pilots managed to score air victories, but no details are known.

Read more here

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
There has been mention of one incident...

To me that's as substantial as the rumors of the Soviets slipping P-63s into combat against the Luftwaffe.

Undoubtedly at least a few other Soviet Army Air pilots managed to score air victories...

That's assuming the first mention is even accurate in the first place. Furthermore, it says NOTHING about additional victories claimed by a P-63, only victories by the VVS (so would also include pilots of P-39s, Las, Yaks, MiGs, etc).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
i believe it will be added eventually, but first there are some huge gap fillers that need to be addressed.

for instance the Ki-43

Preach on Wildcat....im here with ya  :pray

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »

for instance the Ki-43
so instead of A6M2s and A6M5Bs for Rangoon we actually fight what we're supposed to? :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »
so instead of A6M2s and A6M5Bs for Rangoon we actually fight what we're supposed to? :aok

yes, we might actually survive
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »
+1  (perk it if you must)

-- Flying as X15 --

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 11:00:54 AM »
+1  Let HTC sort out it's priority for development. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!