Author Topic: Video of some upcoming tank changes  (Read 17390 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Video of some upcoming tank changes
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
You can fire from the commander position. But it really is not that much of a difference. The circle you see is the ENTIRE gunner view.

I.E. you can not really aim the gun out side of point blank shooting.

2nd the only difference if you could not fire from the commander is press 2, press fire, press 1. I.E. almost instantaneous but more of a pain.

Also many seem to be missing all the things that were not realistic that have been removed.

1. the Ability to zoom your sight. Now if the sight had 2 settings you can select each setting but not zoom between.

2. Tanks now have different power of mag and different field of view in the gunner.
    Before you All sights were the same.

3. Before you could move your head and pan in the gun sight which increased your accuracy range.
    You can no longer do this in the next release.

4. Before each sight was the same aiming mechanism. Now each tank uses the same method as the real ones did.

5  Before all tanks had the same drive system, now we have multiple drive systems of braking tracks, or track reversal.

So saying AH has become less a sim when we have added much more accurate simulation pieces is just very myopic.

HiTech

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
You can fire from the commander position. But it really is not that much of a difference. The circle you see is the ENTIRE gunner view.

I.E. you can not really aim the gun out side of point blank shooting.

2nd the only difference if you could not fire from the commander is press 2, press fire, press 1. I.E. almost instantaneous but more of a pain.

WOW. I did not get that AT ALL from the video, and was under the impression that the main gun could only be fired from the main gunner's position in the turret.

I know that you're right, without jumping to the turret position and using the gunsight to fine tune tha aim it will be next to impossible to hit anything that isn't very very very close... but still.....

big -1 there in my opinion.  :(

I'm ecstatic about everything else. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »
And this is exactly why I I had very mixed feeling when I saw that vid...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2011, 12:27:28 PM »
WOW. I did not get that AT ALL from the video, and was under the impression that the main gun could only be fired from the main gunner's position in the turret.

I know that you're right, without jumping to the turret position and using the gunsight to fine tune tha aim it will be next to impossible to hit anything that isn't very very very close... but still.....

big -1 there in my opinion.  :(

I'm ecstatic about everything else. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Booo for firing from TC position.

Driving around running ad gunning. What is this an M1A1?

Everything else looks good though.
See Rule #4

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
Booo for firing from TC position.

Driving around running ad gunning. What is this an M1A1?

Everything else looks good though.

Hmm sorta like saying to your gunner. "FIRE?"

Wow how unrealistic.

HiTech

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »
Hmmm sorta like having a gunner that doesn't have to look through his sight to aim and fire his weapon.

Yep kinda unrealistic.
See Rule #4

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
Hmmm sorta like having a gunner that doesn't have to look through his sight to aim and fire his weapon.

I guess that's HiTech's point... he can't really "aim" the main gun while in the TC position, you can only get it close... you still have to be in the sight to zoom in and actually put rounds on target (unless you're extremely lucky with a chance hit from the TC position).

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
I guess that's HiTech's point... he can't really "aim" the main gun while in the TC position, you can only get it close... you still have to be in the sight to zoom in and actually put rounds on target (unless you're extremely lucky with a chance hit from the TC position).

Yeah, I guess I understand what your saying. My point is that there will be people that are going to get good at using the TC position to aim and fire from.

I guess what I'm saying is that so many folks have argued against the use of F3 mode. Yet, this seems to me to be a built in F3 mode for tankers.
See Rule #4

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2011, 12:55:27 PM »

Yep kinda unrealistic.

Melvin, seriously?  Perhaps you and everyone else should hold judgement until these new features are released and you get a chance to try them.  They might be a good thing, might be a bad thing. 

The TC looks right, see something, tells gunner to slew right to "over here".  Turret slews.  TC ID's a target and calls for fire.  Gunner fires.  Was the shot short, long, left, right?  I presume the gunner isn't very skilled and misses, so you jump into the gunner position to use the sight and fine-tune the aim.  But at least the turret is pointing in the right direction, thanks to the TC ordering the gunner to slew the turret.  Realistic?  Since I've never commanded a tank in battle, I am not qualified to answer.  A better simulation of a full tank crew working together?  I think so.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2011, 12:58:28 PM »
My point is that there will be people that are going to get good at using the TC position to aim and fire from.

Yep, those are the same guys who put marks on their monitor so they can shoot accurately in any plane/vehicle no matter what direction they're looking.  You will never be able to stop determined people from gaming the game to make themselves feel superior to everyone else.
My Current Rig:

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
HTC Staff - What type of FPS hit can we expect from this view system? TrackIR/FreeTrack/TrackNoIR all come with a hit to frames and I suspect this system will follow along their lines.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:07 PM »
So essentially point and shoot. Thats how i see it still. I understand what your getting at with the lag time, but i still think its degrading the tank warfare.

I highly suggest you go chat with a Gulf War and Iraqi Freedom veteran by the name of "M1C1", he served in multiple roles as a tank crew member in an M1A1 Abrams.  He said outright that a tank operates on the commands of the CT.  The driver, gunner, and loader are all tunnel visioned and tuned into their job, the CT is the only one (unless otherwise specified by him) that will be the "eyes" of the tank, from either unbuttoned or buttoned positions.  The new modeling will lend to the realism of that system, not dumb it down or make it less "real".  The only thing that would make it more real is for you the player to verbally say the commands before you execute them.   :D  The current system is very linear and not relative.  With the new modeling, the CT tells the gunner to engage target at X position and "puuf" from the CT position you get to the gunner position to operate the gun.  Once the firing sequence is done, the player resumes the CT position (while the loader/gunner make ready for further firing orders) and commands the driver to go X direction at Y speed.  Simple stuff.

The new system lends TOWARDS realism and does nothing to dumb it down.  It does make the interface easier to work with no doubt, but that is not dumbing it down in the least bit.  In fact, I bet the learning curve will be that much longer because of the differences in gun sights.  The ranging systems, reticules, and zoom powers are all different.  There will be a shift in ENY, I'll put money on it.  The Panther, Tiger, and Firefly will all be even more deadly because of their sights.  The Panzer IV H and T34/85 will both take a step backwards in k/d ratio, I bet.  Their gun sights cant match other long range tanks yet they both have respectable AP performance.  The M4/76 probably wont change much, it has the sights that can match the big boys, and reload faster than the big boys, but is still behind at the longer ranges in AP performance.  Time will tell.   ;)

EDIT:  In response to those who are panicked about the main gun firing while the player is in the CT position, I dare say to you fellas: RELAX.  Those of us who have fired a rifle, shotgun, or other such firearm from the hip know just how inaccurate it is (use the sights for accuracy!).  Even with the circle/dot showing the aiming position of the main gun, just how accurate are you going to be at anything beyond point blank range???       
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:27:09 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »
you guys kill me, how many new features have had a negative effect on the game.....?    There's still a toejamload of us playing who have seen many many many changes..(AH1 to AH2 comes to mind) that have only made the game better.  

Right now theres alot of crying about change is bad, fear change..................I have yet to see a change or update for the negative.  You may not like it personally, but for the big picture they have all been great.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2011, 02:39:33 PM »
I hardly ever use GVs but been doing lots recently, and enjoying it :aok

this all looks pretty good to me, would be interested in what any real tankers think. we have one squaddie who has an abrams as his company car, although I dont think he does much GVing in AH (understandably.)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2011, 05:02:30 PM »
HTC Staff - What type of FPS hit can we expect from this view system? TrackIR/FreeTrack/TrackNoIR all come with a hit to frames and I suspect this system will follow along their lines.

Really?  I have no hit to my fps while using TrackIR.   :huh
My Current Rig: