Author Topic: How do I say this?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »
LOL Fariz..

My cat REALLY hates this sim.  

I kinda like it.. and the hell wit the cat.  

Kieren.. things are as they are.. as they will be; as they have been regarding anal howling in the text box.

I consider those guys that howl to be an added bonus.. and give myself (and the cat) a pat on the back when I shoot 'em down. Consider them bonus point pilots.. and buy yerself a beer for every one shot outta the sky.

Hang 'Engage the enemy; not the keyboard'
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Ziegller

How do I say this?
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2000, 06:24:00 PM »
Well Kieren,
First I just want to say how thankful I am for all the of the help you have given me, and thank you for being my friend.  I understand what you are saying about these people, as I explain in the 32 kills topic.  But I am just going to say something, even if you aren't going to leave Aces High.  The fact of the matter is, if you leave, then we have lost another one of the good guys, the good guys who make online gaming fun.  If we lose another good guy, then that is making more room for bad guys.  I know you have been a great role model for me, and I just hope that you stay in Aces High, because I know I have had fun gaming with you.  You were my trainer, and you helped me a lot.  Although I haven't come across you in the Main Arena, I know one day I will, and I think this time man I can take you down.  Hehe.  That was a joke.  And when you kill another bad guy and he makes those remarks like they do so often, just smile as his plane spins to the ground, and you can see his shoot open from the clouds, because that is why I think this game is so darn fun.  I look forward to flying 1 vs. 1 again.  

Offline goat10

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.home.net/goat10/index.htm
How do I say this?
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2000, 08:22:00 PM »
Well here is my 2 cents.
I have been with Aces High since beta 1, I started as BenDover, I got into a fight with a P51 I was in a B17. I had dropped all of my bombs and was using my bomber as a fighter. Well I hit the P51 but he got the best of me and I bailed out. As I was hanging in my chute the 51 turned and shot me. IT PISSED ME OFF! I started squeaking and moaning to no end, talking trash about the pilot that killed me. About two days later I was flying and someone brought up the pilot’s name, and I was off again. Then to my surprise I found that pilot had changed sides and joined the Knights, I was a Knight, and told me he also hated that guy. It was at that moment that I realized that this was just for fun. I took a good look at myself and found out that I was the handsomehunk. That man was Jarbo one of the most honorable pilots in the game <S>. Kieren I know how you feel, but I think it up to us veterans to set the standard for the game, yes it is a game. We are getting big I remember when we had 9 or 10 Knights total. My brothers fly Fighter Ace and do they tell me stories!

------------------
I Hate It When That Happens!

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2000, 08:48:00 PM »
Kieren,
 As stated above with more eloquence, the main problems on the open channel are 2 weekers and egos and just the usual number of absolute amazinhunks that infest all online flightsims who feel they must be read by all.

.squelch 1 is the obvious option and the first I exercise but on the long flight to 25K and certain doom I sometimes turn it on for entertainment value.

Kieren, you need to hang in, these guys are so damned easy to ignore.

------------------
When did they put this thing in here and WTF is it for?

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2000, 09:49:00 PM »
Kieren makes a good point but what are some potential solutions.  Perhaps the nature of the missions/achieving goals in the cyber war could be experimented with.  Maybe the juvis that like to screw around wont like a more serious session and leave or straighten up a bit.  I'll fly a C47 if I have some confidence that the mission is planned and thought out.  I have noticed that some folks just dont think ahead.  They roar off with no definate strategy, take out some acks and when that doesnt work they get frustrated and then start messing around. Perhaps we could have more input on managing frustration in the game.  This is after all one of the best sims in a techical sense but I think the game play goal orientation needs some work/experimentation etc..

outlaw

How do I say this?
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2000, 10:13:00 PM »
Kieren thier is one thing i know and that is how much in control u can be in the worse of times is one thing i know for sure is that if it is pushing u too ur limits then it is in need of being looked into but giving up is not the answer.... smile and remeber u made someones day then do it again    

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2000, 10:27:00 PM »
I have seen some crap in the text buffer.  Actually some of it is funny!  Hey! I dont like getting shot down, well most of the time I don't like getting shot down!      I don't lose my cool, because I'm supposed to get shot down!!

I've been lucky!  The last two nights I have experienced some first class stuff.  Last night Dogftr and I jumped three low YAKs.  We managed to get all of them (I think    ), but they got me too.  They were members of the talented Flying Pigs!  After wiping the sweat off my hands and brow, I typed in "Nice Fight Pigs!" They immediately responded positively on our flying of the A5 and added a Salute!  Those Pigs are a class act!

Eariler tonite I had a great dogfight with BigBen!  A classic fight with him in a P-47 and me in the A5 at about 23K.  We danced for about 5 minutes when I finnaly got the upper hand.  We got on the radio and gave a salute to each other.  Class pilot!

Believe me, I see it in the text buffer and ya wonder when some people will grow up!  I believe Kieren you'll find it wherever ya go, and whatever ya do.

Kieren, look at it this way.  I'm still here, so ya have that to look forward to!      You are one of the more brighter character in this sim.  It would be a dark day for the AH community if we ever lost ya!

So try to look past the horse dung and smile, for all is good!

Swager deems it so!!

------------------
Swager
XO   I/JG2~Richthofen~[/i]

"Damn.....I can't believe I missed that shot!!!"

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Swager (edited 06-24-2000).]
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2000, 10:28:00 PM »
Hmmmmmmmmm I think that hbliar hit the nail on the head.........its always the same people spoiling the fun for the rest of the gaming community.

I also noticed the bastards didn't post a response here....

Offline Waxer

• Zinc Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2000, 02:29:00 AM »
What interests me (and this is just a general observation) is that in the timeslots I usually fly in (late evening West Coast time) I've never seen the bad trash talk thing happen, no complaints about HOs, vulching, anything.

And there's plenty of HOs, vulching, being vulched, gang-banging etc going on! It's more like a bunch of starving lunatics tearing a carcass apart with their teeth, too hungry to talk while doing so   Kinda nice really...we must have our own little "microclimate" going at that time slot.

------------------
Waxer
II/JG2 Richthofen

"Nothin' up my sleeve...Presto!"

[This message has been edited by Waxer (edited 06-25-2000).]

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2000, 08:25:00 AM »
Hi Kieren,

i like the way you think of virtual combat  
Never had a problem to salute a good opponent,no matter who has won, although it is tougher now in 1.03 because i can't find these < > on my new kb layout
btw:Maybe i don't follow ch 1 enough but i seldem see a bad message about my fights

Don't be frustrated Kieren, keep on fighting

blitz

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
How do I say this?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2000, 03:00:00 PM »
Well, I've mulled this one over a couple of days.

I admit, I was curious if this was a perception problem on my part, and was curious how everyone else saw things. While certainly not everyone who flies AH posts here, I feel we got a fair cross-section of responses. It would seem that, while the things I see are not in my imagination, people do view the same circumstances quite differently (no surprise!  ).

Sometimes, like anyone else, I get a little too close to something and lose perspective. The events of the last week or so of play seemed (to me) to grow worse and worse with regards to the one area that I truly find satisfying/frustrating- the community. I personally have a problem being a part of conduct that is disrespectful. More and more, this is the norm, not the exception.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone, believe me. I have been as guilty as any, and that is what disgusts me. You see, I am responsible for my behavior, not anyone else's. No matter how someone treats me, I do not have to respond in kind. I have to remind myself of this all the time. And all too often lately I have committed the same acts as anyone else. That is wrong.

Here's the way I try to handle the online game; always treat everyone with respect, never make personal remarks about anyone, always behave as you would have others behave- in short, set an example.

We all know that there are those in our game that derive pleasure from upsetting others, and that has always been here. They pay their $30 I suppose, and have the right to do that up to a point. As I stated above, I am not leaving, but I will walk away from this in a heartbeat if I see myself beginning to emulate that type of behavior. No game is worth that for me.  

I posted the original comment to see how others felt about the topic, and am thankful to see that there are many, many people that understand what this community is about. I thank all who made kind remarks directly to me (not necessary, but appreciated!). I challenge all of you to do this- for one night, every time someone knocks you down, type "gk" (good kill) over the open buffer, no matter if you thought it was or not. Every time you knock someone down, give them a "S!". I'm willing to bet that many people will be able to unsquelch the open channel if that was to happen...  

P.S. I really feel that squelching the open is wrong for me, as I do help newbies that yell for help.