Author Topic: AH loses all sounds or freezes on vox receive  (Read 397 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
AH loses all sounds or freezes on vox receive
« on: March 19, 2011, 12:10:08 AM »
AH either loses all sounds or AH freezes up totally and "stops responding" when I hear someone on vox.  When I get out to desktop I have no sounds at all - both mike and headset listed as "not plugged in".  Have disabled the HD sound on the video card via Windows Control Panel, and the mobo sound chip via the BIOS.

Had a few instances of this before adding Turtle Beach 5.1 headset, now seems (?) more common.  I'd guess the famously lousy Creative drivers are at fault...?

Both mike and "speakers" are turned all the way down to lowest "resolution" of 16-bit and 44,100 Hz.  All Sound Blaster special effects disabled.

Are the "exclusive mode" options relevant?  Seem to have no effect, either way.

Link to DxDiag listing here
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:14:00 AM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: AH loses all sounds or freezes on vox receive
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »
Are your in-game sounds set to Windows Configuration?  I had all kinds of trouble, before setting it to that.
Once I did, all was good again.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:25:17 AM »
Nope, I had it set for "5.1 discrete", but I'll sure give that a try.  Thanks!   :salute

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:51:46 AM »
Simply disabling a device, without removing the software associated with it, can cause problems.

If you are losing Windows sounds as well as game sounds, then there is more than a good chance there is an IRQ conflict or multiple sound devices sharing the same IRQ, which is not good.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
Nope, I had it set for "5.1 discrete", but I'll sure give that a try.  Thanks!   :salute

A common problem lately has been the addition of HD sounds via the video card.  Look in control panel/system/device manager.  Look for Other Devices on High Defination Audio Bus and disable them if you don't use HD sound for movies and TV via the IntardNet.  These HD sound devices are known to conflict with sound devices.  I wish these video card companies would stick to just video and leave the sound to the sound card companies and not try to be everything without supporting "everything"!

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:04:10 AM »
Bino, I also have a Sound Blaster card. I could not get sound with 44.1 KHz 16 Bit. Set it to 48KHz 16 Bit and see what happens.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »
Setting the speakers to "windows configuration" within Aces High seems to have done the trick.  I made it through that huge fight over Berlin in the recent Battle Over Germany scenario.

I will look at removing the HD sound drivers for the video card.

Thanks!

PC Specs

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
I've found the AH sounds setting to be a bit buggy at times.  Sometimes, even though it displays the proper devices.. it's still not right, especially if something changes.  Often it's a matter of changing it to something else (even if its the wrong setting), hitting OK, closing the clipboard, opening it back up and then changing it back to the proper settings.

I have my windows default set up to the speakers plugged into my onboard sound and I have Aces High set up to use the "Audio Advantage" USB drivers for my old Turtle Beach AKR8 headset (It's the HPA2 headset but connected to a USB adapter).  Every once in a while I will accidentally unplug the headphones while Aces High is running (or I will load Aces High with them unplugged) and Aces High will under those circumstances revert to the onboard sound, playing sound out of the speakers HOWEVER the sound settings will still be pointed to the "Audio Advantage" Turtle Beach device, even if I plug the headphones back in.  Then I have to manually change it to something different, accept the settings, and then change it back before it will work properly again.

I hope this makes sense?

(For the record, after 3 years of service one of the right side speakers is starting to sound scratchy and I will be replacing the AKR8 with the HPA2 and maybe even purchasing a sound card in the near future)