Author Topic: tank commander great. now for the realism trick: Buttoned/Unbuttoned  (Read 1968 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Re: tank commander great. now for the realism trick: Buttoned/Unbuttoned
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 08:06:33 AM »
I guess I just don't get how the current system where you have 1 person manning every position in the tank, jumping from one to the next, is soooo realistic.  This seems like an improvement to me, where the player can act as the commander with his crew performing a lot of the functions.

I agree.  Just like the real thing, when the tank commander gives an order is when the crew and tank responds.  Like I said in an earlier response in a different thread: the only thing that would make the TC aspect more realistic is to actually say the commands prior to performing the action.  :D

Jumping from from position to the next was not conducive to how a real tank crew performed.  A tank crew performs independently as members of a team, not independently by themselves and unconnected from each other.  Currently, do you want to drive or man the main gun?  What about use the hull MG or the turret MG?  I think the new system will be great.  I am really looking forward to seeing how the different tanks performed the "pivot turns".  I am under the impression that only few tanks could actually do the zero radius turns (tread turned opposite of each other) and the Panther was one of the few.  Most tanks had to lock 1 tread and move the other.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.