Author Topic: Badboy's E-M Diagrams  (Read 3256 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
Re: Badboy's E-M Diagrams
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
Badboy, thanks!

What information do the e-m diagrams show that those turning circles don't? I'm curious if there is some tool that may help me identify an area that the camel has an advantage over the dr1. Thanks again Badboy.

Not an all inclusive list but here are several big things like...

1) corner speed & max turn performance (not sustained)
2) relative difference in energy margins between aircraft (this is the most significant one in this list I think that you can exploit)
3) lift limit (speed & g's at which accelerated stall occurs)
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
Not an all inclusive list but here are several big things like...

1) corner speed & max turn performance (not sustained)
2) relative difference in energy margins between aircraft (this is the most significant one in this list I think that you can exploit)
3) lift limit (speed & g's at which accelerated stall occurs)

Creating wingtip stalls is the key to rolling fast in a 109 when slow (so is engine torque).
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
Ok....
So here is the deal.....

1)Most of the time, a 109 can LOOSE its energy faster than a spit, which means you can get to corner faster.
2) Once there strive for the snap shot. Also, a spit only has 1 notch of flaps, full or none, which means in a 109, drop one notch, at almost 200, force the spit to drop flaps (all flaps as he only has one notch), then climb out or enter a steep vert rolling scissors eeking out every drop of e you have. The act of forcing him to drop full flaps, will burn his e much faster than you, giving you a noticeable speed difference. Oh and look, a k4 can get back to corner very fast from 195 to 230 in no time, where the spit has prob will have to go from 150 - 230ish. Now, some of the best pilots will just lag turn in the spit, but most will pull as hard as they can with everything they got as they put faith in relying on their turn abilities.
3) If fight gets slow and your not on top, dive out and repeat.
4) Lastly, spits dive better than k4s, so get into a nose down vert scissors, (drop full flaps, cut throttle), chances are, the spit will not do everything and overshoot as he accelerates better and retains e better nose down. (Poor e retention is a double edged sword).

Next time in the ma, do this... as a test... (this is not a good strategy as a acm but it proves my point)

1) Get a spit on your 6 and dive with him following... ( make sure he is close, within ~400, so once you see him drop your nose down steeply, full wep, etc)
2) Once at 300 ( hopfully before he shots you), level out and cut throttle, and do as hard as you can, turn to the left. Also, make sure to throw some rudder in there to keep the 'ball' in the center.
3) watch him overshoot as he trys to follow you in the turn.

Why this works: 109 retains e much worse than a spit, so get to corner faster and your turn is tighter.

And when he blows his 'e' to pull for lead, go for 'e' and climb!... you have the same climb rate as him (if not a tad better) and from the spits perspective, you will disappear! (as he has pulled lead for the shot, so you under his nose, in which case you roll and pull up, and he wont see you do it)

I'm sure FLS can elaborate more on this.

First off, Ardy is one of my my 109 Heroes! I have not mastered the bird, but his advice helps out a lot in combat. It can be very tricky to pull this move off (especially near a furball or in the DA), a decent spitsteen jock will plan for this move and fake a lead, so you have to be very very careful. It's tricky to try and hang a spitsteen also, if he does follow you up, but you can also try and get him to do a vertical overshoot if you feel that he might have just enough E to get him past you (again, this is tricky, I usually get shot down more often than it works, but it's nice when it does work :x)
Badboy, thanks!

What information do the e-m diagrams show that those turning circles don't? I'm curious if there is some tool that may help me identify an area that the camel has an advantage over the dr1. Thanks again Badboy.

I've noticed that the Camel can do an amazing low yo-yo (forget if it's better to the left or right), which can cut a corner on the Dr1 for a snapshot. It also feels like it can roll better, so you might be able to out roll it in a siccor. I have a bad habit of stalling out the WWI planes in the vertical, which is very bad against a Dr1, they turn so quick that they'll likely get a shot on you before you can nose-forward, unless you time it just right.
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"