Author Topic: DA laggy?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
DA laggy?
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
The DA seems to be really bad this last week with damage taking 3-5 seconds to register.

The MA is fine for me and several squaddies are saying the same thing.  Can some other people check it and maybe it requires booting?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:40:12 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: DA laggy?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »
I've always had a pretty decent connection and I changed ISP's recently.  It is 3 times as fast as the old one on paper and appears to be just great at downloads/browsing/uploading etc.  However I know that isn't everything and packet loss will cause most of your troubles.   Skuzzy what can you make of these two pics?

DA ;

MA :

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:56:03 PM »
+1

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 02:42:43 PM »
You need to contact your ISP Bruv.  Packet loss starts right at your Internet connection.  It will cause all manner of problems with the game connection.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:57:17 AM »
it does appear to get really bad over the last 3 hops.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »
it does appear to get really bad over the last 3 hops.

The last 3 hops are irrelevant.  Once packet loss starts, all data after that is questionable.  The problem starts at your first hop.  That needs to be fixed, before anything else is meaningful.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 08:26:33 AM »
DA is still super laggy, whereas the MA is fine..

Net status etc is completely flat, but still experiencing 3-5 second lag before damage registers.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 02:49:48 AM »
I've been testing it more routinely (like a paranoid Bish  :noid tinfoil hat at the ready)   and even on some days when the packet loss on my ISP network is negligible the last 3 hops are still where most of the errors come from.

Friday nights on the last two weeks have been pretty much unplayable and I can put that down to heavy usage.   

I just find it really bizarre that MA hit damage is fine no matter when.  The DA seems to vary with lag at all times some days 3-5 seconds and others 1-2.   :headscratch:

Micky lets see some of your trace routes.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 08:29:35 AM »

I did go into the DA late last night and it seemed ok, i will try again later today.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:31:14 AM by MickDono »

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02:48 AM »
What we're looking at here is the packet loss, more so than the latency.  The PL% column tells you how many pieces of data either don't make it, or are damaged.  Every time this happens another piece has to be sent to replace it.  As that number gets closer to 100%, it means that piece of data has to be repeated over and over again until it is successfully transmitted, and this is what truly killed your connection because everything else stops until that piece finally makes it through.

Bruv, if you notice, you have 95% packet loss at one point.  Mick's is ideal, with none:

Mick:

Bruv:

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:53:45 AM »
so how come Micky is having the same issue?  with no Packet Loss.

I was hoping he would be with a different ISP.  His route out to America goes through Manchester whereas mine goes through London.   I've had days where my packet loss has been zero until it gets stateside.   Micky appears to have none but I don't know how many samples he took.

The MA has no perceived/visible lag.  The DA does but only with damage registering and that varies from day to day.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Sid

• Copper Member
      • "SWIFT" 72 Squadron
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 07:49:32 AM »
Does it matter what sort of "packets" you’re testing here? If the game uses UDP packets and you’re testing something else won’t it invalidate the results?

I don't think PingPlotter Freeware lets you choose, but PingPlotter Standard does, and I get very different results.

Using the default packet type I get this:

click for a larger version

But using UDP I get this:

click for a larger version

Note: I don't have a problem connecting in game; connection is usually around 150-160. On average I "Disco" once or twice a month, always after loosing the "UDP" connection.
Oculus Rift user.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
so how come Micky is having the same issue?  with no Packet Loss.

I was hoping he would be with a different ISP.  His route out to America goes through Manchester whereas mine goes through London.   I've had days where my packet loss has been zero until it gets stateside.   Micky appears to have none but I don't know how many samples he took.

The MA has no perceived/visible lag.  The DA does but only with damage registering and that varies from day to day.

Mick's connection looks awesome!  Especially considering he's in the UK!

To be honest, I didn't see his mention of the same symptoms when I posted that, but still sometimes a connection only acts up 'once in awhile' and it may simply be that it wasn't acting up when he ran his tests.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 10:42:56 AM »
Does it matter what sort of "packets" you’re testing here? If the game uses UDP packets and you’re testing something else won’t it invalidate the results?

I don't think PingPlotter Freeware lets you choose, but PingPlotter Standard does, and I get very different results.

Note: I don't have a problem connecting in game; connection is usually around 150-160. On average I "Disco" once or twice a month, always after loosing the "UDP" connection.

I think that may have something to do with your TCP packets being monitored by your ISP or even your Government.  This is pure speculation on my part, but I do know that some countries filter and restrict internet access - perhaps something similar is going on over there.  Also, if the server doesn't ECHO ping requests, it might show up as packet loss when it really isn't.  Perhaps your ISP doesn't forward pings on TCP but it does with UDP.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
Wait until the wedding is over. It will most likely settle down then.