Author Topic: DA laggy?  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: DA laggy?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »
the first one is nuke's from france he has some sort of proxy thing going on.  He is reporting no issues.

is there anyway we can find out where and what those 192 addresses are?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:00:58 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 02:08:31 PM »
In this case, it is a gateway router between the U.S. and England.  As to who has responsibility for it, that is another matter.  With international gateways, there are usually some sharing of the responsibilities for it.

I would not be surprised if it was simply overloaded.  The traffic spike to England has been significant, from about a month before the royal wedding, through today.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »
from my trace one would assume that the NYC hop is the transatlantic router because that is where the jump in MS is. 

The hop from NYC to this 192 address looks to be within the states.  The same block of IP with a slight variation from one ISP to the next.  Both mine and Micky's with Virgin Media add another 200ms to the transatlantic hop whereas Ams and Nuke both seem to go through ok. 

Maybe it is something to do with the peering as this Tinet chap states but this has been occuring for the last 3 weeks on and off,  before and after the wedding and the tornadoes.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
The time frame you specify matches the spike in Internet traffic, along with the bad weather which has disrupted many telecommunications systems all over the Southern and Northeastern U.S.

It could be a coincidence.  Once the traffic spike drops back to reasonable levels, it will be easier to determine what is going on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »
After seeing the clipboard pinging 200+ yesterday I was interested in the thread. Normally my UK connection shows around 150 - 170 on your clipboard.

I have just had a look at what is the worse I have seen as below.

Somehow I think flying with lag is really going to be terrible! So not even going to bother this evening.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 04:11:13 PM »
The thing that is bothering me about all these traces is the latency gets worse immedaitely after the tinet.net hop in New York.

If you look at the New Youk hop #7, which is tinet.net, then the next one is that 192 IP (hope #8).  After that is the next hop at AT&T (hop #9), and the data has yet to leave New York, but the latency between the three hops in New York more than doubles.

This is either an extreme lad condition, which is quite possible, or something is wrong between those three hops.

Blagard, I think you are right.  The normal latency should be around 120 to 150 ms, at our servers.  Not sure why the tech person at tinet.net thinks 300 is normal.  It should not be.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »
all Virgin traffic is getting routed through 192.250.37.37,   which is adding 200ms,

both nuke and ams go through a similar IP block but aren't reporting complete disconnects.

when I get home from work today I'm hoping that this has cleared up.

The issues from yesterday I believe to be un-related to the initial query about DA lag in regards to the damage being taken and received.

If the connection was at fault we would see the planes warp, this is not the case it is purely a 3-5 second lag in taking damage whether it be shooting or receiving damage.  Again it does not happen in the MA or SEA.   :uhoh
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 09:01:52 AM »
I cannot duplicate the issue in the DA.  It seems only the ones who are having some type of routing issue are having the problem.

If it was an arena issue, everyone (without fail) would be effected in the same manner.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »
I was in the DA with Bruv and noticed he had this weird lag thing going on. He wasn't ever warping, but I would receive his bullet damage after he had already passed my plane. So, I did a ping plot to see what it looked like for me, and I get this.

I take it that's a bad thing? Any ideas?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 10:30:17 AM »
Looks like your router or your ISP might be blocking ICMP ECHO messages.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »
Looks like your router or your ISP might be blocking ICMP ECHO messages.
I see in my router setup something that says "Respond to ping on internet port" is this the same thing?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2011, 10:39:26 AM »
Sounds right.  The "ping" utility uses the ICMP ECHO message.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
I just enabled it, still getting a lot of packet loss, but at least it's not 100% on the second hop.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 10:53:28 AM »
Might want to reboot/power cycle that router.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
Might want to reboot/power cycle that router.
I tried that after I ping  plotted that first image you seen. I also cycled the modem. That's what's weird, in Aces High, my net stat looks fine, no one has complained of me warping etc.,