Author Topic: Diary of a Noob  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
Re: Diary of a Noob
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2011, 12:51:29 AM »
Day 14:

Got home late, spectated Juggler a bit and saw how I could eventually fly. I managed to get quite a few front quarter shots after the merge on people, but sometimes it resulted in a HO where we collided or both died. I am a little unsure how to remedy this because if I don't come all the way around after the merge, they will get guns on me, and I don't have enough speed or room to maneuver away from a front quarter shot after the merge. Basically, merge, both immelman, HO. No film today (I should have saved one of the films with this but oh well).

Good: Gunnery
Bad: HOing
Film: None

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2011, 06:45:13 AM »
Instead of a HO on the second pass you can start working for angles. If the bandit goes for the shot he's giving you a turn advantage.

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2011, 11:13:01 AM »
Day 14:

Got home late, spectated Juggler a bit and saw how I could eventually fly. I managed to get quite a few front quarter shots after the merge on people, but sometimes it resulted in a HO where we collided or both died. I am a little unsure how to remedy this because if I don't come all the way around after the merge, they will get guns on me, and I don't have enough speed or room to maneuver away from a front quarter shot after the merge. Basically, merge, both immelman, HO. No film today (I should have saved one of the films with this but oh well).

Good: Gunnery
Bad: HOing

Well this is clearly your problem!  :aok

Hoff, look a word of advise. Don't take the game seriously in fact take it as light hearted as you can. Getting the kill may be the "climax" to the fun but the fun is everything up till that point for me. The "chessmatch" is where the real skill lies. I suggest you do what I was doing, get yourself a silly plane D3, B5, JU88 etc and go out and make it tough for the gaggle to shoot you down "getting the kill" is not the point to this "having some silly fun and learning angles" in anything IS! Yesterdays doings for me had nothing to do with killing anything only some good laughs with some good peeps tryin to shoot me down.

Focus on the fun, not on the kill and you will learn much more much faster!

Oh and when scissoring "rudder" is your friend :aok

:salute

I still don't think you're new ;)

JUGgler
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:17:27 AM by JUGgler »
Army of Muppets

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2011, 12:57:04 PM »
There ya go making sense again JUGgler.  Stop that!
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »

Well this is clearly your problem!  :aok

Hoff, look a word of advise. Don't take the game seriously in fact take it as light hearted as you can. Getting the kill may be the "climax" to the fun but the fun is everything up till that point for me. The "chessmatch" is where the real skill lies. I suggest you do what I was doing, get yourself a silly plane D3, B5, JU88 etc and go out and make it tough for the gaggle to shoot you down "getting the kill" is not the point to this "having some silly fun and learning angles" in anything IS! Yesterdays doings for me had nothing to do with killing anything only some good laughs with some good peeps tryin to shoot me down.

Focus on the fun, not on the kill and you will learn much more much faster!

Oh and when scissoring "rudder" is your friend :aok

:salute

I still don't think you're new ;)

JUGgler

I'll take that as a compliment, hopefully in a couple weeks you will think I'm a long time veteran.

I actually had an idea to practice my flying last night while watching you fly. Today I'm going to fly the 109k, but I'm not going to use guns at all. I'm just going to see how long I can stay on the 6 of the enemy.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »
Day 15:

No guns day was pretty fun for a while. Gave up a lot of easy kills for it but I think it helped out my defensive maneuvering a bit. One thing that was bothering me was that I can't seem to always avoid front quarter shots. I think it might be impossible to completely avoid them and I do notice how much of an advantage it gives me if they miss, but they do hit sometimes. The two films are about 10 minutes each.

Good: Defense, SA
Bad: Avoiding Front Quarter Shots
Film: One - Two

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2011, 01:43:51 AM »
Day 16:

Flew the 109E today with mixed results. The guns are off and on, sometimes a plink will kill an enemy sometimes they won't die at all. I was using the Emil to try to practice defensive maneuvering but I still didn't do very well. Got outmaneuvered as usual.

Good:
SA
Bad: Maneuvering

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:12 AM »
I'd recommend the F or G2 over the E for training.  Too many handicaps on the E.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »
Day 15a, Fighting the 190s, for the most part thats about as good as it's going to get with those guys. They are known for NOT engaging hard, more pickers than fighters. At one point in the film you have one closing and your climbing to the left and go into a barrel roll. You need to bring them in closer by tightening your turn before you go into your barrel roll. They were far enough out to see what you were doing and adjust. If you get them in closer, you'll come out of the barrel roll with a good snap shot opportunity.

Day 15b When someone is flying in the same fight as you (Zap) it's good to let them know you are out of ammo and will hang around as a target. If they think you are fighting still they will count on you some what to clear their 6. I know I'd fly different knowing the guy in the area DIDN'T have ammo as apposed to one that did. Merges, you want to merge under, or to the side of the other guy as apposed to over. If you watch the films you get hit more often than not only on the merges where you let the guy fly under your nose. If they are under your nose you can't see them so you can't avoid their shot, nor can you fly to get a better angle, or give them a worst angle. If you must have them pass under you, roll your plane and try to keep them in view so you can either get skinny as they shoot, or maneuver for a better angle.

Day 16a-b The nik fight in the first, you just gave him wayyyyyy to much space. Closing to get a tighter merge woulf have made it much harder for him to get an angle on you and stay tight enough long enough to get the shot. The other was just poor SA. You were in a lot of bad guys and just didn't see the K4 that came around on you. You looked at him once, then got fixated on what was in front of you and he closed for his shot.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2011, 04:54:03 PM »
For the N1K, that player repeatedly tried to HO everyone in the area. I didn't want to merge close to him cause he'd just HO. How do I merge closer without allowing a front quarter shot?

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2011, 05:02:11 PM »
The same type of unpredictable evasive as from a six shot, not just a rectilinear dodge, but with a bit of curve to it.  The timing is also important, somewhere around 1000y you want to have just started the evasive.  That means you start moving your controls before that -  there's a small maneuvering lag and internet lag involved.  For all but the very best HOers in the game, you don't need to spoil their solution much, for them to miss.

Possibly the quickest way to practice this one is to go to the DA, and HO everything.  Only you'd practice dodging at the last moment.  Over and over.. It shouldn't be long before you get the hang of it.  Like one or two nights a most.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2011, 12:45:28 AM »
For the N1K, that player repeatedly tried to HO everyone in the area. I didn't want to merge close to him cause he'd just HO. How do I merge closer without allowing a front quarter shot?

Get him to commit to the HO.  Dive just a bit and change angle (left or right just a touch).  If you're in a plane that can use the vert, pull vert as he's forcing his nose down at ya.  After that, you're on the offensive.

Also, stop talking so much trash before being able to back it up.  I'm sure you don't want to become the next squelch-o-matic, but you're well on your way.

AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2011, 01:23:46 AM »
Make that more like 1,500y, esp for high speed HOs.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2011, 04:20:29 AM »
Day 16:

Flew the 109E in MA today for a while and had some fun, also got a nice deflection shot on a mossie with the B25H 75mm. After that I managed to get with SFOX and DREAM in the DA for some duels. Started out rough, but after having him ride along with me and me ride along with him I learned how to do rolling scissors better. Also had an EPIC 20 minute brawl with SFOX that I accidentally hit cancel on for the film, but it was a really awesome fight. Thanks again to SFOX and DREAM. Also, I'm going to get rid of the Good/Bad thing because it doesn't really add anything except clutter. No questions for today, I think I'll work on dead 6 defensive maneuvers tomorrow.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2011, 11:28:47 PM »
Day 17:

I felt really really good about my flying today. I think I did really well. Just about the only mistake that I might have made was upping from a nearly capped field and getting swarmed. The first film is me getting a mossie on a bnz, then killing a spit in a short turn(ish) fight. The second film is me doing an evasive on a p51 and then killing another p51 that thought it could run away. Feel free to watch them, but I don't think I did anything wrong.