Author Topic: Russian Spits  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Russian Spits
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 01:21:58 PM »
IMO the question would be did any particular VVS Spitfire skin see combat? If so it's game. If not it's wasting limited skin slots on a skin that never saw combat. One of the criteria for skins was to have seen combat, last I recall (hence no unarmed recon, no training units, no state-side units, etc)

The Soviet Spitfires did see active combat in the Continuation War and I'm sure along other fronts before being withdrawn from front lines service to rearguard POV squadrons.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »
Yes, Ack, I got that part. I mean any potential skin request. You would ask that to any specific profile.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
Yes, Ack, I got that part. I mean any potential skin request. You would ask that to any specific profile.
Here is a photo of a Merlin 64 engined Spitfire Vb of the 3rd Squadron of 57th GIAP that took part in the Kurban battle.

I can't read the Russian caption but this is supposed to be the same Spitfire pictured above.  I read that the arrow on the side was painted later on but only have seen it in illustrated profiles.  All photos of 538 show it with the original RAF paint scheme.

*EDIT* Actually, you can barely make out the arrow in the photograph, I guess the contrast blocks most of it out.

I know these images are from a model kit but they do show specific plane profiles.

There is enough out there to create a legitimate VVS Spitfire skin that would qualify.

Good information on this site on the Soviet Spitfires.  
Spitfires over the Kuban

ack-ack

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 07:05:23 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 10:38:19 PM »
Here is a photo of a Merlin 64 engined Spitfire Vb of the 3rd Squadron of 57th GIAP that took part in the Kurban battle.

(Image removed from quote.)

I can't read the Russian caption but this is supposed to be the same Spitfire pictured above.  I read that the arrow on the side was painted later on but only have seen it in illustrated profiles.  All photos of 538 show it with the original RAF paint scheme.

*EDIT* Actually, you can barely make out the arrow in the photograph, I guess the contrast blocks most of it out.

I know these images are from a model kit but they do show specific plane profiles.

There is enough out there to create a legitimate VVS Spitfire skin that would qualify.

Good information on this site on the Soviet Spitfires.  
Spitfires over the Kuban

ack-ack

That's no arrow.  No way, no how :)  Note I posted that same image earlier :)

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters