Author Topic: oldie, but interesting.  (Read 709 times)

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
oldie, but interesting.
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:51:01 PM »
highly doubt this has been discussed much since it was thought up in 2000....page 2105 on the General Discussion
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,8.0.html
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: oldie, but interesting.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:57:14 PM »
I like the idea.  Further seems like a good reason to add breaching/bridging vehicles.  Oh what fun that would be! +1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
I thought the same when i was reading the post. Could be very interesting. would give the Jabos another thing to bomb if GV's wanna roll the field too.
HogDweeb

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:00:43 PM »
Good idea for sure!  

But armored vehicles do carry shells.   :uhoh  How strong these fences going to be?

Urchin made a good point back then......
I think it is a good idea BD5.  However- I also feel that the Anti-AIRCRAFT guns are entirely to effective against ground vehicles.  I can see (maybe) why you'd want psychic flak that instantly started firing when planes got near the field (only enemy planes though, no friendly fire in AH for some reason)- but I think that GVs should be able to sneak onto a base using terrain and buildings as cover from the gun.  As it stands now, I've actually been shot THROUGH hills when trying to get a GV onto an enemy base.

Thinking about it... Something tells me major code changes would have to occur based on object elevation.  Adding fences would disallow any ack to fire at gv's.  Not only that but I would have to think the ack effectiveness against low flying planes would be disrupted as well.  
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
your right logan, but that would cause for GV's to roll for defense. It would, i feel, make gameplay more immersive and enjoyable. easier for the Vulch tards to de ack? yes. just as easy for GV's to up and defend though.
HogDweeb

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
The idea would def add another aspect of gameplay.  Tactics would change, strategy improved... 

+1 for fences, or at least some tank traps around the bases! 
See Rule #4

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
Mason, back THEN when that was posted, any plane could kill a GV. A spitfire could and would strafe Panzers and kill them or turret them.

The GV damage modeling with regards to aircraft attacks and gun damage in general has undergone too many changes to even remotely compare to a post made in 2001 (just after the game was released, mind you).

EDIT: sorry, said "Logan" first time around, was Mason's post.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:45:47 PM by Krusty »

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
Mason, back THEN when that was posted, any plane could kill a GV. A spitfire could and would strafe Panzers and kill them or turret them.

The GV damage modeling with regards to aircraft attacks and gun damage in general has undergone too many changes to even remotely compare to a post made in 2001 (just after the game was released, mind you).

Akuna Matata Sir  :salute

See Rule #4

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »

I'm ready for bed...so maybe im missing something here. but how does the planes then and now affect the thought? I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but if im missing something please forgive me.
HogDweeb

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 12:01:51 AM »
Gvs were 100x easier to kill back then, making auto ack that much more of a threat to them. When .50cals could turret you and Hispanos could kill you, a 37mm auto ack gun ripped you to pieces. I remember tooling around offline in tanks and you literally got ripped apart. Often the first shot disabled you and the rest finished you off part by part.

Now it's much different, and you actually can stand a chance of parking there and shooting back at the ack before it disables you.

The airplanes part was simply illustrating the different damage model in play.

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
Gvs were 100x easier to kill back then, making auto ack that much more of a threat to them. When .50cals could turret you and Hispanos could kill you, a 37mm auto ack gun ripped you to pieces. I remember tooling around offline in tanks and you literally got ripped apart. Often the first shot disabled you and the rest finished you off part by part.

Now it's much different, and you actually can stand a chance of parking there and shooting back at the ack before it disables you.

The airplanes part was simply illustrating the different damage model in play.
I see now.

would still add a new dimension of game play to the game though.
HogDweeb

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
You have this now with towns. The hedgrows that force you to drive on the roads. If you create a Ft. Apache out of the Vbases with paremiter obsticals then it will make lancstuka carpet bombing the logical solution with you trapped inside. Or, you will give a long range tiger sniper a choke point to camp because the Ft. Apach base obsticles funnel you to proscribed exit points before leaving the base area to kill the camping tiger.

Imagine the town with all of the buildings removed and your Vbase in the center with the roads and hedge rows intact. Then image a tiger on a ridge 500 feet above the town where you have to drive down those roads to get free of your obsticles. Or imagine the exit road campers on a flatter terrain who spawn in from two enemy feilds.

On the other hand it would make mobile artillery or self propelled howtzers popular to seige the Ft. Apache Vbases. But, only if you can convince the vTards there is now honor in using 6 lanc boxes to solve the issue in 30 seconds.

Hmmmmmm, since we do have 3 air base sizes. A Ft. Apache sized Vbase might not be a bad thing for the attackers..... :D

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:16 AM »
 We used to have fences on GV bases but they were impenetrable and people were hiding behind them and sticking their gun through as if they were a force field that would not allow enemy fire to come through.  Hence they were removed.   

Leave it to people that game the game to mess it up and get content removed.  In most cases anyway.
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech