Author Topic: Question Regarding Scenario Aircraft for HTC  (Read 459 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Question Regarding Scenario Aircraft for HTC
« on: April 09, 2011, 08:13:43 PM »
Was paying attention to the thread on the upcoming Rangoon scenario and the arguments for/against having the "better-than-typical" Brewster Buffalo in the scenario due to it having far worse performance in the PTO than it did in the hands of the Finns vs the Soviets (the model in game).

So here is the question: could HTC in theory tinker with the weight of the plane, power of the engine, or other such plane specific stat, to make an aircraft more accurate to the scenario in question???
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 08:16:11 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question Regarding Scenario Aircraft for HTC
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:28:37 PM »
the f2a-3/b339 would be cool and more accurate for pto special events where brewsters are included.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »
Based on past experience, no. You can't monkey with the flight model on an existing plane on an arena by arena basis. It's the same everywhere.

What you are asking is that HTC add a new entry that looks the same but has a different name and performance. Not for them to add changable variables for performance.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »
Based on past experience, no. You can't monkey with the flight model on an existing plane on an arena by arena basis. It's the same everywhere.

What you are asking is that HTC add a new entry that looks the same but has a different name and performance. Not for them to add changable variables for performance.

I understand the arena by arena thing, but what is stopping HTC from simply adding another .plane # entry of the same exact plane but adding weight, or removing engine power, etc etc, for that particular event to help mimic the performance of an older or less abled model of the same aircraft?  Once the event is over remove the mutant from the .plane registry.  Obviously, the best would be to add in the actual variant that was prominent in the PTO/SE Asian theater of operations, but the workload on HTC's plate is already large enough.   

I'm actually sympathetic to the Japanese in the upcoming Rangoon scenario.  The Japanese aircraft should not have to really worry about an Allied plane staying with them in a tight turn (albeit a few Hurricane Mk I's).   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
I understand the arena by arena thing, but what is stopping HTC from simply adding another .plane # entry of the same exact plane but adding weight, or removing engine power, etc etc, for that particular event to help mimic the performance of an older or less abled model of the same aircraft?  Once the event is over remove the mutant from the .plane registry.  Obviously, the best would be to add in the actual variant that was prominent in the PTO/SE Asian theater of operations, but the workload on HTC's plate is already large enough.   

I'm actually sympathetic to the Japanese in the upcoming Rangoon scenario.  The Japanese aircraft should not have to really worry about an Allied plane staying with them in a tight turn (albeit a few Hurricane Mk I's).   

Time.
Money.
Extra updates.
Loss of focus.
Plus is just a bad idea. Scenarios should be designed around what we have, not AH changed for one  scenario.

HiTech

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »
Time.
Money.
Extra updates.
Loss of focus.
Plus is just a bad idea. Scenarios should be designed around what we have, not AH changed for one  scenario.

HiTech

... and now we know.  It must be a bit deeper than just adding 1000 lbs to the Brewster.   :)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
Rather than altering an aircraft for a one off event, I'd rather see HTC spend the time on the actual variant.

All in good time I suppose.

Obviously HTC does develop some new early aircraft from time to time. We have the Betty now and the A6M3 on deck and those fill a lot of holes in scenarios.

With the Brewster shape in place, it probably wouldn't be a herculean effort to model it into the Buffalo, so I think it's reasonable to think that some day we might get it.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 06:35:55 AM »
Just hire unexperienced players to fly brewsters in scenario. Should do the trick.  :old:
I am a spy!