Author Topic: Invasion task group  (Read 534 times)

Offline Skyguns MKII

• Silver Member
Invasion task group
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:52:34 PM »
So we basically have two uses for our task group at the moment. Base invasion (cap/attack), and a mobile air support deterrent. So i was thinking, and before you run for cover hear me out. Is it possible to perhaps add Troop transports, LCTs, LSTs for the task groups being used for base cap and invasion. It would add a bit of realism and fun i would hope. If you think about it we didn't necessary have major invasions with just a carrier, a few destroyers, and a cruiser. These LVTS have to come from some kinda LST most likely. It may optionally add more strategic targets (take out the ships disable LVTS or what not.) But we will need to add more amphibious GVs first for this to work properly. Thoughts? addons? anything?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Invasion task group
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »
There should definitely be two separate task group types: The CVs as they are now, but remove the LVTs and PTs, and then add an invasion group with CVEs (F4Fs, Seafires, SBDs, TBMs, A6Ms, B5Ns and D3As only) and LSTs (LVTs/PTs). Full CVs cannot close within 25 miles of an enemy airfield.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:11:17 AM »
Let's do it!  I'd also love to see full scale carriers as well as all the typical ships for an amphibious assault.

Great Idea +1

ps.
carrier vs carrier fights are really fun in my opinion.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
 :aok
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:48:01 PM »
if it moves faster than an LVT in the water i want it lol
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 08:13:28 AM »
+1

This is the only thing I don't like:

Full CVs cannot close within 25 miles of an enemy airfield.

How about 10 miles? or 5?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:18:42 AM »
Full CVs cannot close within 25 miles of an enemy airfield.

LVT's can launch at 15,000 yds = 8.5 miles roughly.  Sometimes silly folk bring CV much closer like 9,000 yards = 5 miles.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »
LVT's can launch at 15,000 yds = 8.5 miles roughly.  Sometimes silly folk bring CV much closer like 10ft.

Fixed

"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
LVT's can launch at 15,000 yds = 8.5 miles roughly.  Sometimes silly folk bring CV much closer like 9,000 yards = 5 miles.

That's why I said add a separate invasion group and remove LVTs from the standard CV task groups. No need to close within 25 miles then.

How about 10 miles? or 5?

For gameplay reasons? The same reason HiTech advises new maps have airfields no closer than 25 miles apart.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:46:59 PM »
For gameplay reasons? The same reason HiTech advises new maps have airfields no closer than 25 miles apart.

The purpose of an aircraft carrier is to bring the aircraft closer to an enemy base. Sure in reality 25 miles would be good, but given that all distances in AH are smaller the CV should also be able to move in closer to the shore.
If we put this 25 mile limit we would have to remake a significant amount of maps because the CV will simple not be able to get anywhere.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 01:12:33 AM »
this would be cool if coastal bases had a more effective anti task force group...like the german S-boat(E-boat to americans) or a small local sub. like the type2 german or seahund or a small japanese sub...or hey..how about the british X-boat sub or italian torpedo craft as used by italian commando'S :x :x :x :x

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
The purpose of an aircraft carrier is to bring the aircraft closer to an enemy base. Sure in reality 25 miles would be good, but given that all distances in AH are smaller the CV should also be able to move in closer to the shore.
If we put this 25 mile limit we would have to remake a significant amount of maps because the CV will simple not be able to get anywhere.
sure in reality 25 was perfect and 25 is still perfect for this. out of sight of enemy aircraft and out of sight of the SHORE BATTERY :aok but keep the CV anywhere. let the "tacticians" work it out the right way :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy