Author Topic: Are there enough players?  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
Re: Are there enough players?
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

I have done this many times, and the demise of Tank Town and the reasons had been a topic several times. Sorry that I'm not feeling like repeating that stuff everytime it comes up again, especially when a new player that's been here for just a month tells us what happened several years ago. Just as I nowayss do not chime in on every collision thread anymore.

And for comparison: Your claim is based on pure guessing, my claim is based on witnessing all that stuff. I saw what happened. So my claim can beat up your claim  :P
But to clarify: There was absolutely no change in Tank Town combat environment, popularity, raw player numbers after the split or caused by it. TT went downhill about a year later for very different reasons.

That's all you had to say, sorry if I was rude, I just thought you were just randomly being rude to me like some others have been. All I wanted was a justification for your claim. Thanks.

Since I'm new I may not know everything about the game, but since I'm new I know some things that older players don't. I have a fresh, untainted (although, obviously not unbiased), view of the game. I don't know what it was like to have Titanic Tuesday every day, but since Titanic Tuesday is my favorite thing, I can only imagine that it was awesome and want to see it happen. I'm from the younger generation that grew up with MMOs and FPS. I like things that stand out from the crowd and in my eyes the thing that stands out about this game, or at least what is advertised, is a massive persistent war. The split arenas really really take away from this. Instead of viewing it as a persistent war, it just feels like any other FPS I play with different maps every round. I recently started a trial for a game called world war 2 online and while the population isn't very high it is all on one server and one map. It FEELS like a massive persistent war. This game FEELS like a server I joined in Counter-Strike or Call of Duty. I'm not saying I don't like this game, I'm obviously still here, but if a game were to come out tomorrow with everything this game has but all on one server, I would immediately switch.

Berate me all you want for not agreeing with you, I just feel it is a good idea to share my views because I feel like I am part of a generation/group that would be a huge benefit to this game should they be inclined to subscribe. You may agree or disagree that players like me are good for the game, but for the sake of this argument I will say that they are good. Getting players like me to pay for a game monthly is a hard thing to do, getting them to stay is even harder. To keep players like me around, there needs to be something gained that cannot be obtained from anywhere else. Sure, some might say the flight model is the hook for them. Some might say it's the variety of planes. For me, it's the size of the map, amount of players, and the feeling of a persistent war going on.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:55:04 PM by Hoff »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2011, 02:10:47 PM »
You still don't get it and I'm inclined to believe you won't.  "Players like me" statements don't do much other then say I want it my way and that's the only way I'm going to stay.  There have been lots of 'your generation' that have played and play the game, including many of our own kids.  Basically all you are saying is you are to ADHD to make your own fun in a game so you need it made for you.   My oldest son played more then his share of Counterstrike, and other games.  What he liked about this was it wasn't that game.  There is more of a learning curve and you do have lots of choices in how you play the game. 

One of the advantages/disadvantages of 'youth' is thinking you know better then the old folks.  We've all been there.  One of the advantages/disadvantages of having been around the block a few times is realizing that you aren't nearly as smart as you thought you were when you were younger.  You laugh a bit and feel slightly embarrassed when your kids talk with that same arrogance and know it all attitude that you once had back then.

One of the things you keep coming back to is that people have been rude or not helpful to you.   In the end what it comes across as, is that folks aren't giving you the answers that you want.  I suppose what that means is that if you showed a tad bit more respect for the game and the people who created it, as well as those who've been around a bit, they might not come across as 'rude' to you.  Something about respect needing to be earned comes to mind.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

Since I'm new I may not know everything about the game, but since I'm new I know some things that older players don't. I have a fresh, untainted (although, obviously not unbiased), view of the game. I don't know what it was like to have Titanic Tuesday every day, but since Titanic Tuesday is my favorite thing, I can only imagine that it was awesome and want to see it happen.

First account was made August 2004.

HiTech

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
Oops! Looks like someone stepped in something stinky. :)

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »

HiTech
So this newbie We've been helping in the TA and DA is some shade? I think the community deserves to know who.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »
BURN HIM!!!!

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »

HiTech

Yeah, my dad played back in 2005 I think, he tried to get me to play it a few times but I was big into FPS and Warcraft at that time. I think he only played for like three weeks, I can't remember that well though, that was a long time ago, I was still in highschool. That's how I came to this game, I remembered seeing him play it. Thanks for caring enough to look it up though I guess.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »
Yeah, my dad played back in 2005 I think, he tried to get me to play it a few times but I was big into FPS and Warcraft at that time. I think he only played for like three weeks, I can't remember that well though, that was a long time ago, I was still in highschool. That's how I came to this game, I remembered seeing him play it. Thanks for caring enough to look it up though I guess.

Was his name John Doe by any chance?

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2011, 03:22:56 PM »
Since HiTech seems to be in a shade outing mood, there are a few more that he could fill us in on.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »
Well guys and Ol'Farts from way back when you had to know how to set IRQ and which card used what DMA. And why this line in your autoexec.bat had to be right.

MSCDEX.EXE: /D:x /M:n /E /V /L:x /S /K <-----remember DOS game floppies.

Hoff is a member of generation entitlement(Gen-Enti). Chances are good those who are finding fault with his ideas are Gen-X and Boomers. His presentation is a classical look at the real issues of generational differences here in America today. Especially in our workforce.

He is the new demographic in online games. They have grown up on games and technotoys and never had anyone say "NO" to them in their techno toy universe. Nor not been inable to discover all of the hacks and cracks and power ups and wizzy gigs in the gaming universe because they get bored quickly and move from gameing experience to gaming experience. They have the techno attention spans of nanoseconds and vote predominatly with their feelings about everything affecting their lives. Notice how "FEELS" and "me" were used as qualifiers rather than build data supported constructs to attempt to create a mutual concept point from which he can include his differing generational audience in his vision rather than exclude them by inferring his "FEELINGS" trump their experience.

I fFEELl I should be Pope of the universe. I doubt any of you care much less do I. It's a horrible job with no drinking or fornacating and you have to wear a dress. Anyone wanting it just speak up. I'll pay you 2 farthings and a really used Yugo to take it over from me.....

But, regardless of what we Gen-X and Boomers connoisseurs think is the proper and reverent manner in which to partake of our "Simulation", Gen-enties have to be factored into the HTC business model to survive. Get ready to "like" hear alot more "like" feelings about "like" you know this MMO or FPS and it just "FEELS" right, right now.......

Personaly I wouldn't be adverse to TT being left up for 2-3 days in a row from time to time. By about the third day ch200 will start getting vulger and personal. How can we forget the ch200 cesspit sessions and JSO sunday night mega hoards shutting down maps for the night. Or a hoard in each country purposely avoiding each other by using NOE to take out of the way bases all over the map to avoid actually having to fight each other. Then the ch200 cesspit chatter between the hoards after each capture calling each other colorful cowards. But, the hoards would never just up and fight each other. 700 players on and everyone doing their best to sneak around behind each other to take ungaurded bases......what did everybody call this, Hmmmmmmmm....Oh yeah ...STRATEGY......

Oh, by the way. Gen-enties do things as members of groups. Everyone on their PeeWee league teams got trophys for showing up. Otherwise someone supposedly would get their feelings and self esteem hurt. So the Federal government and the ACLU directed the NEA to teach them and their parents about equity of outcome. Skuzzy may have to evict another generation of us old timers here on the forum like he did with the "Flame Warriors"....be careful gentelmen. We have to consider feelings.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »

HiTech

this is called a "zinger"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »

HiTech

Lets play 20 questions...has he logged more than 200 hours in his past toon life?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2011, 03:58:20 PM »

Your theory would work if there were just two arenas without caps. Because there are caps, squads can't make the orange or blue server their home because other players might cap their "home" arena. I'd be completely fine with there being two servers to choose from at all times, the caps are just kinda silly. If there were two servers at all times without caps it would be pretty easy to see if people prefer one large server or split servers. I'm putting my money on the former.

Thats the point, my "theory" doesn't work, because it was tried before. If you have 2 arenas with the cap set at 400 the first 400 logged in (this includes those that log in early to "save a spot") go to one arena, and those after MUST go into the other arena because of the cap (we MUST have a cap because anything over 400-450 is an unhealthy arena and deemed bad). So e see one arena with 400 people having fun, and a second arena with 100 people pissed off because there aren't enough people to have fun.

So we have split arenas with a cap system that is designed to load BOTH arenas more evenly (this doesn't mean side balancing). Using the same 500 people, you get basically two arenas with 250 or so each which can be fun.

It is completely unimportant whether "the people" want a single large server, or two split smaller servers. The Company HTC has decided using their subscription data that smaller arenas bring MORE people into the game and so more money into the company, so thats the way it will be. Titanic Tuesday and the "off-hours" arenas are a compromise that HTC instituted to help out "some" players, those that want one big arena, and those that are not flying during US prime time so they don't have the population numbers.

Being here a few weeks, or months is NOT going to give you incite to the workings of this game, or time will. Most of us have played WWII On-Line and most of us are done playing with it. Good luck, maybe it will be more of what your looking for. 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Hoff could possibly be a sham by the registration date of the account. But, the syntactical construct patterns are late teen to not out of his 20s. How many of you still use "like" or the unnessecary "big into" in your speech as modifiers anymore? Also talking about your feelings(FEEL) has become part of our schooling of recent years in some public institutions. Employers frown on that level of undeveloped communication the closer you get to your 30's so at least the modifiers get dropped. I doubt Hoff is out of his 20's. Even Krup speaks and writes well as a teenager until he becomes emotionaly entangled in the outcome of his construct or the thirst for lynching.....BURN HIM....okydoky.

If you think about it only Hitech knows who pays Hoff's bill. What did Hoff say to interest him?
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2011, 05:50:14 PM »
Hoff could possibly be a sham by the registration date of the account. But, the syntactical construct patterns are late teen to not out of his 20s. How many of you still use "like" or the unnessecary "big into" in your speech as modifiers anymore? Also talking about your feelings(FEEL) has become part of our schooling of recent years in some public institutions. Employers frown on that level of undeveloped communication the closer you get to your 30's so at least the modifiers get dropped. I doubt Hoff is out of his 20's. Even Krup speaks and writes well as a teenager until he becomes emotionaly entangled in the outcome of his construct or the thirst for lynching.....BURN HIM....okydoky.

If you think about it only Hitech knows who pays Hoff's bill. What did Hoff say to interest him?

like what do you meen dude :headscratch:

I feel you are picking on him, and like you know, are being a big meanie.