Author Topic: Are there enough players?  (Read 7748 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Are there enough players?
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2011, 08:51:49 PM »
When I said people weren't bored of flight sims, I meant to say that they aren't leaving to go to other games due to the boredom as you were equating boredom in other games to people leaving them.

I think you missed the point of the whole gamer thing. You were saying that my generation only cares about beating games ASAP and plays a ton of games. I was stating and giving examples of the opposite. Not only that, but you contradict yourself because your son is trying to speed run games and has tons of consoles and games to play, yet you call him a "true gamer." I would call that a console gamer, not a "true gamer." Immersion is important up to a certain point. The planes have to feel real, they have to look real, and they have to fly realistically. You don't see yourself having to sharpen your sword after every fight in assassin's creed or final fantasy. You don't have to wait 8+ hours every time you rest in a video game. You don't have to spend 30+ minutes eating food to replenish your health. Now this might seem blatantly obvious and stupid to say, but you can equate things like that to flight sims. Most people don't want to spend hours in a bomber before they reach their target, nor do they want to drive their tanks for hours before they see any enemies. It's a game, sacrifices need to be made so that it is fun. If people really want to spend all that time and fly realistically, they can. The game doesn't keep people from doing that, but it doesn't force it either.

As for my personal skill level, I'd bet I could give even the top players a good fight. I probably wouldn't win 9 times out of 10, but I'd still give them a good fight. This goes back to our definition of good though. I consider myself good at this game now, but you might only consider good meaning I can kill anyone at any time. I would consider that elite. Your definition of good in a FPS might be my definition of below average. It's all relative. I consider myself good because of the fact that I can give the best players a good fight and can constantly land 2-5 kill missions.

OK Mr nitpick, a gamer is a gamer whether its a console gamer or a "true gamer". On the other hand a "Flight simmer" is a whole different animal. A flight simmer WILL fly for hours to make a buff run AND fly hours BACK to land it. Why do you think drop tanks are available? Because simmers fly for hours.

Gamers grab the fastest plane with the biggest guns get 2-3k in alt come screaming in and lawndart trying to take out the radar tower. Then they will do it 5 more times....or how ever many trips it takes to take out the radar. A simmer will KNOW what it takes, get a reasonable altitude, plan his attack run so he is over the base and in ack range the least amount of time, plan his exit vector to avoid ack and regain his alt. In most cases he will take out the radar in one pass. That's the difference between a gamer and a simmer.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:50 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

wanna put that to the test....I know guys that will kill you 100% of the time..now or two years from now,if you played constantly....hell I am not a very good shot so for me to say lets go DA....well Ill miss my first shot... but I will bet I'll get first shot every time :aok

you have a long way to go before you'll give the really good players a hard fight...the elite players.... :rofl

I'd happily do that. 100% is a pretty ballsy thing to throw out, two years is even ballsier. I wouldn't be surprised to lose 20-50 times in a row, but I would be very surprised to lose 100/100 duels.

Offline Hoff

• Copper Member
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
OK Mr nitpick, a gamer is a gamer whether its a console gamer or a "true gamer". On the other hand a "Flight simmer" is a whole different animal. A flight simmer WILL fly for hours to make a buff run AND fly hours BACK to land it. Why do you think drop tanks are available? Because simmers fly for hours.

Gamers grab the fastest plane with the biggest guns get 2-3k in alt come screaming in and lawndart trying to take out the radar tower. Then they will do it 5 more times....or how ever many trips it takes to take out the radar. A simmer will KNOW what it takes, get a reasonable altitude, plan his attack run so he is over the base and in ack range the least amount of time, plan his exit vector to avoid ack and regain his alt. In most cases he will take out the radar in one pass. That's the difference between a gamer and a simmer.

So that I can enter the fight with 50% fuel, but be able to fly further to get to the fight if I have to  :D. In all seriousness, we're just arguing semantics. I believe that someone can be a "flight simmer" and not want to have to fly two hours in a B-29 to get altitude and get to the target.

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »
What he said^ I'm totally bored of long boring flights and tank drives.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »

I'd happily do that. 100% is a pretty ballsy thing to throw out, two years is even ballsier. I wouldn't be surprised to lose 20-50 times in a row, but I would be very surprised to lose 100/100 duels.

I would be surprised if you could even put rounds NEAR the Elite guys in this game :aok

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
I would be surprised if you could even put rounds NEAR the Elite guys in this game :aok
Whose elite   :old:
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
LOL here we go again.

I don't believe he was talking about you ACE :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41:24 PM »

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/fragments.htm

That's funny, because my comment wasn't directed towards you, and you're telling me a purposely used sentence fragment is worse than a misused word?

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2011, 09:53:22 PM »
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »