Author Topic: anyone miss the open plains of old AH when having gv fights?  (Read 809 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
anyone miss the open plains of old AH when having gv fights?
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:37:34 PM »
way back when map makers built tank towns for vehicles to hide and fight in but with the current amount of obstacles inhibitting a vehicles fight its redundant and unwanted and unused.

there is no open space anywhere in AH to even have a kursk like open plains fight. it almost seems like people are so sick of titanium trees and bushes that they do not bother going to tank towns to fight. theres no point to fight ina place with even more stuff to get in the way of the fight than usual.

maybe its just me. I liked the wide open spaces and clear fields of fire as much as I liked the tank towns that were an alternative to the open areas.

maybe there will one day be some balance of obstacles and clutter and also wide open spaces not covered with stuff. its a bit much atm. imo.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: anyone miss the open plains of old AH when having gv fights?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
We had people complaining about what your asking for because there was no place to hide for ambushes. This is what we have now.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
You want less terrain to deal with? :huh

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
World war two sucks..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:47:11 PM »
Yep. I miss the old tank town
A dessert terain would be nice or just a few less trees
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »
pizza mpa used to have desert on the far outer reaches of the map I thought
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:36 PM »
Alternating plains and rolling hills, forests and urban areas and empty wastelands, would be best.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 01:36:25 AM »
I truely miss the old open plain in the middle of ND Isles.  Those were epic tank battles with three lines of forces trying to push forward.  You could actually see each other spawning in across the plain.  As soon as they put in the town I quit playing there and have only returned two or three times.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »
The old TT where there were hills, trees, and a town, but lots of open area.
We had some classic tank fights there. I remember some times seemed like
20-30 tanks each side, even folks that always flew came in for those epic fights.
Lusche and many others know which TT was the best! None have come close since.
We have a few maps where there are good tank fights, but not what used to be.

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »
I like variety.  To me it seems as if we have far more "ambush" type terrain in the MA than anything else.  It would be nice to have a Kursk style of terrain from time to time.  A few trees with wide open space, with some rolling hills with a few ravines to use for cover and movement.

With the new tank reticules and control interface coming our way in the next version, I think it is going to force more movement in the ground game regardless (which is good, imo).  Cover wont be as highly sought after.  

HTC had changed the maps a bit and reduced the number of random mounds to hide behind (a 12-18 mos ago?), and then changed them back.  I think there is a happy medium somewhere.  Currently, imo, there seems to be too much of everything.  Too many trees, hedges, mounds, etc.  Every map seems to be too similar.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 09:42:42 AM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
Im not a big fan of the AH tank game.  There are a lot of problems with it and besides, I do not believe HTC intended for the ground war aspect of the game to be on par with, or compete with the air war.   Having said that: the only time I do much tanking is in defending V bases or towns at A bases.  It (GV'ing) can be fun, challenging, and rewarding, its just not the primary focus of the game for me and there are a lot of weak spots with it overall.

So, to answer the question "do I mis the open plains when having GV fights?   the answer is no.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns