Author Topic: Opinions Needed  (Read 1237 times)

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
Opinions Needed
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:44:19 AM »
So here my problem.  The lower rear turret on the 29 skin I'd like to do next has stripes running through it, but the way the base of the turret wraps on the actual plane in AH does not let you line up both side.  Would it be better to leave it all black, and just stripe the turret, leave one side not lined up or not paint the base and the turret?
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: Opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
I never considered this scheme when skinning the default aircraft or I'd have asked Waffle to change the fairing. I'd say leave the turret and fairing unpainted, but if it were me I'd probably just pick another aircraft from that squadron without the stripes.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
This is the soul reason why I don't skin aircraft. My OCD would kick in and I would be sitting there for hours on end trying to line up the stripes.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:42:19 AM »
Monkey with the pixels to get them to show up as you want. The distance between 2 points on a skin is not always a stright line, or a level one. Figure your point A and point B on the skin, then connect them with lines. You SHOULD be able to get it done without too much fuss.

Barring that the easy way out is to leave the turret bare.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »
It's kind of odd the way the panel stretches.  It's not centered on the fuse, and it's mirrored. I've messed with it for an hour last night and 45 min this morning with no luck.  I hate to not color the turret as that's what caught my eye for this skin.  I'll mess with it some more but may abandon it for a different skin.
Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
This is the soul reason why I don't skin aircraft. My OCD would kick in and I would be sitting there for hours on end trying to line up the stripes.

You and I both.  I would fool with it until either (A) I got it fixed or (B) I got too pissed and punched something
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline UncleKurt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 06:14:26 PM »
 :aok
I would suggest not striping the turret. Make it base, then Black, use which looks best.
IMHO.
<S>.
I Like pizza!
I Hate red airplanes!
Leave my sheep alone!
What an axle!<br/Do Not Impose to Bully Around Me!

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »
Actually found a picture that gives me a little more info on the paint.  It almost seems like the fairing is all yellow.  Which would mean I need to make my bands a little wider.

Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:16:38 PM »
Too bad no views from underneath.  That would be the tell tale conclusion on stripe length and position. (no pun intended)  :bolt:

From where I stand the front part of the turret might extend into the black stripe (or it could just be shadows).  The posterior end of the turret seems to merge with the black line.  My guess is that they would want to camo the turret the best they could, because fighters' strategy was to hit the gunners first before closing in.  A black outline in the middle of a yellow stripe ..... :O

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »
Actually found a picture that gives me a little more info on the paint.  It almost seems like the fairing is all yellow.  Which would mean I need to make my bands a little wider.

(Image removed from quote.)
Coincidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5-mjglse5E&feature=related

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

This picture appears to have the yellow strip as big as the fairing with maybe the very base of where yellow meets black is painted black.  It looks like the turret itself isn't fully painted BUT has a blk/y/blk strip itself.  Almost looks like it's in a ^ shape, with the tip pointed to the guns.  When you look at this picture and the first ones that you posted, the 2 black stripes appears to match in thickness, but the 2nd stripe too far from the horizontal stabilizers which is likely because the yellow stripe looks too thin.  In other words, the yellow stripe is the only stripe that looks like it needs to be made thicker, pushing the 2nd blk stripe closer to the horizontal stabilizers.  As for the turret itself, if you can just get the fairing worked out, you could probably get away with leaving the turret bare, if that is possible.

EDIT: Also, I don't see a black stripe on the front edge of the vertical stabilizer in the historic photo while yours has it.  Is that part of the plane or are you using another photo? 

I just noticed something between the two pictures, the turret on OUR B-29 is bigger than on the one in the picture.  The turret is still intact, as you can see the guns pointed straight down...  This may be a reason why it's harder to get the stripes to look right.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:21:33 PM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 12:43:25 AM »
Thought you might like this picture since your picture has no nose art yet.