Author Topic: Bomber Charts  (Read 889 times)

Offline fwav8or

• Zinc Member
      • "Bloody Hundredth"
Bomber Charts
« on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »
Hello all,
So I was reading the level bombing tutorial from the training area and in it, it said there was a "chart showing how much time and distance it takes the various bombers to get to altitude" and to "see below" for this chart.  However, unless I am missing something, I could not find the chart.  Does anyone have a link to this chart?  I have found several other charts, but none that show how much time and distance it would take to get to altitude, which I think would be pretty handy for a noob such as myself.  :salute

"Bloody Hundredth"
"If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future of the US looks good."
- General Curtis Lemay

Offline Donpost

• Zinc Member
Re: Bomber Charts
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »
That's wierd I was going to ask the same question. I believe the chart also shows the amount of fuel required.

Fellow noob here btw, if we see each other online maybe we can go on a few bomber sorties together  :salute

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 11:38:38 AM »
i have no idea of the exact time, but it takes 27895140e527 years for a lanc to get to 28k. and a b-17 is decent (i think i did it in about 15 minutes once) bombers i.e b-29, b-24 (i would think about the same as the b-17) G4M1, etc.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
i have no idea of the exact time, but it takes 27895140e527 years for a lanc to get to 28k. and a b-17 is decent (i think i did it in about 15 minutes once) bombers i.e b-29, b-24 (i would think about the same as the b-17) G4M1, etc.

The B-17, B-29, and G4M have drastically different climb rates.
The B-24 and B-17 both have a slight (but noticeable) difference as well.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:49:40 AM »
The B-17, B-29, and G4M have drastically different climb rates.
The B-24 and B-17 both have a slight (but noticeable) difference as well.

i know they do, i was trying to say that the B-17 and B-24 had about the same climb/burn rate as each other.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 12:14:41 PM »
Will post some numbers later today.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 12:17:53 PM »
i know they do, i was trying to say that the B-17 and B-24 had about the same climb/burn rate as each other.

Ah, there was no clarification in the post. It was hard to tell what you were getting at.

:banana:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline fwav8or

• Zinc Member
      • "Bloody Hundredth"
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
That's wierd I was going to ask the same question. I believe the chart also shows the amount of fuel required.

Fellow noob here btw, if we see each other online maybe we can go on a few bomber sorties together  :salute

Hi Donpost, I'll look you up next time I am on.

Captain Lusche,
Thanks!  I would greatly appreciate it!   :aok

"Bloody Hundredth"
"If we maintain our faith in God, love of freedom, and superior global air power, the future of the US looks good."
- General Curtis Lemay

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 03:50:16 PM »
Let me first state I know which document you are looking for, but I do not have it myself.

But not too long ago I started to do some climb tests with bombers. Unfortunately, due to lack of time it's not finished yet, but there is already a lot of data.
I had recorded time to climb from sea level to 5k-30K for the various  AH level bombers in different configurations (ordnance/fuel). What I didn't note were the horizontal distances covered, but with a little experience that's easy to guesstimate from the time spent. All times are rounded to the closest full minute, fuel endurance is given for sea level only (can improve significantly depending on altitude). Fuel Burn is 2.0

Preview:

And here you can download the raw data in PDF format: http://www.mediafire.com/?dj2bcwppj4f7apd

If someone has too much time at his hands and wants to test a configuration not covered yet, I would ask you to send me the results, so I can add them to the chart. Maybe later this year I have the time to finish my AH bomber handbook (of which this time to climb would be only a small part)

:airplane:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline fwav8or

• Zinc Member
      • "Bloody Hundredth"
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 03:58:48 PM »
Thanks!  :salute

"Bloody Hundredth"
- General Curtis Lemay

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
do your r x t = d stuff it's fun.  you can find your tas and rate of climb.  the rest is elementary.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »
Bah.  Take all the stats and through them out the window!   ;)

I have a spread sheet that shows bomb load outs, ranges, best alts for speed, defensive armaments, and some other stuff.  Not time to alt stuff, who needs that???   ;)

PM me your email and when i get my PC back I will send you a copy of the spread sheet. 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline shdo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
Lusche,

do you have the indicated airspeed used in each climb configuration?

Hap, it doesn't work quite like that since as you climb higher your indicated airspeed stays the same but your true airspeed and ground speed change with altitude.

shdo