Author Topic: Aiming PT boat torpedoes now  (Read 2824 times)

Offline DoubleEagle

• Zinc Member
Re: Aiming PT boat torpedoes now
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
I fine tune it over time.  It is trial and error.  On the run into the target I would stay at full speed as long as I could, but when getting close enough to the fleet that you might be shot at, then slow to 40 knots and turn to intercept.

After you finally get the enemy ship to sit in your gunsights without drifting either left or right, you are on course.  The question then becomes when to drop torpedoes, and I would suggest you get as close as you can.

Or you can just blindly fire away and hope.  That has always worked in the past for everyone, right?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:56 PM »
Nice and a real nice shot of the hits on the ship.

But how the hell you get so close without ships auto guns first obliterating you before you get a chance to launch torps?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DoubleEagle

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
It is offline practice to get screenshots.  That is my own fleet.  If you look at the external picture you will see my boat is short two torpedoes.  I've launched them well out of range, but I want to get in close to get screenshots of the hits.

Getting in close and not being hit in the arena....well, that is your problem.  I can't do everything for you after all.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 11:34:16 PM by DoubleEagle »

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
Just a few additions on the numbers:

Speeds are in MPH in the game, not knots.
Fleets travel at 34.5 MPH (1,000 yards per minute), but go faster to form up after turns.
Torpedoes travel at 39 MPH for a maximum of 4 minutes run time (4,570 yards).
A torpedo will not catch a ship from rear quarter. You'll be killed by ack before you're close enough to launch.

You can launch on a perpendicular course to the fleet by setting the target ship 41 degrees off the bow and launching just as you enter unmanned ack range.