Author Topic: Artificial Horizon  (Read 489 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Artificial Horizon
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:10:43 AM »

Doesn't seem limited to the I-16 as it also shines through the clipboard while minimizing it on every plane I'm flying in:

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
Re: Artificial Horizon
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:43:27 AM »
I have the same problem on the mossy, and it also shines though the gunsight.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
It is visible through many 3D-2D geometry right now. Minor glitch but worth taking a look at. It doesn't bother me however.
Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
IF this problem is NOT a simple fix but requires a rework of the gage, could we please have the artificial horizons replaced with attitude indicators that display bank information?

Most of the gages I have seen in Aces High (like in the Seafire) have a bank scale but no bug/carrot/pointer indicating the bank angle.  Since there is no seat-of-the-pants with computer games, I'm always looking for more feedback on what the aircraft is doing.  It would also help when trying to teach basic flight maneuvers like level turns.  Everyone learns to fly by staring at the instruments first and then transitions to looking out the windows.  For example you level your wings using the attitude indicator and then look out the windows to compare the wingtips to the horizon.

We have been doing okay without bank information for years, but this could be a good time to get that part of the gage to work -- IF you are reworking the gage anyway.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
IF this problem is NOT a simple fix but requires a rework of the gage, could we please have the artificial horizons replaced with attitude indicators that display bank information?

Most of the gages I have seen in Aces High (like in the Seafire) have a bank scale but no bug/carrot/pointer indicating the bank angle.  Since there is no seat-of-the-pants with computer games, I'm always looking for more feedback on what the aircraft is doing.  It would also help when trying to teach basic flight maneuvers like level turns.  Everyone learns to fly by staring at the instruments first and then transitions to looking out the windows.  For example you level your wings using the attitude indicator and then look out the windows to compare the wingtips to the horizon.

We have been doing okay without bank information for years, but this could be a good time to get that part of the gage to work -- IF you are reworking the gage anyway.

We have a turn bank indicator, that should be enough. All you need for level turns is a bug on your windshield (peace of dust on computer screen) and the real horizon.

Also your not supposed to learn to fly staring at the instruments unless you learning to fly IFR. If your VFR look outside, use the real horizon (not the virtual one), and if your pitched too high to see the horizon in front of you look to your side and see the angle that the wings are to the horizon.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
We have a turn bank indicator, that should be enough. All you need for level turns is a bug on your windshield (peace of dust on computer screen) and the real horizon.

Also your not supposed to learn to fly staring at the instruments unless you learning to fly IFR. If your VFR look outside, use the real horizon (not the virtual one), and if your pitched too high to see the horizon in front of you look to your side and see the angle that the wings are to the horizon.
dont take it out it adds a real feeling
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 05:30:33 PM »
dont take it out it adds a real feeling

Don't take what out?

I'm not suggesting to take out anything.
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 05:57:30 PM »
machnix is talking about the arrow that rotates along the top of an attitude indicator to show 30/60/90 degrees of bank.

the bank angle marks are there on most of them in the game, the arrow is missing though, always has been as far as I know.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.