Author Topic: Young pilot lands airplane on highway  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: Young pilot lands airplane on highway
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
Also keep in mind that I'm pretty sure that landing was in Canada.  I don't know how the regulations there work, but I do know that in some parts of Alaska, they do routinely land on paved roads and it is even legal in some places.

Of course, this was on one of those 'somewhat reality' TV shows where an Alaskan flight instructor made the student do a touch-and-go on a highway.. but my point is that what they did may have been standard 'emergency procedure' for where they are.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2011, 01:39:05 PM »
I didn't see any telephone poles, which leads me to believe they have underground utilities which would make a highway landing much more viable
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »
No poles, but alot of trafffic. I'm sure in that neck of the woods alot of their lines run under ground as you said, though.
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »
No poles, but alot of trafffic. I'm sure in that neck of the woods alot of their lines run under ground as you said, though.

traffic was opposite direction.

notice no cars in front of him when he lands, and also notice when the camera is swung around, there is only that single car in back of them.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »
There were a few cars in front of him there. In any scenario like this, there's alot of "what-ifs". Like I've said - it worked out great for him this time. Frankly I was amazed at how calm he stayed. He has nerves of steel. had the engine cut out a few moments sooner or later, it could very well be a different story.

"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »
There were a few cars in front of him there. In any scenario like this, there's alot of "what-ifs". Like I've said - it worked out great for him this time. Frankly I was amazed at how calm he stayed. He has nerves of steel. had the engine cut out a few moments sooner or later, it could very well be a different story.

yea, i wasn't meaning to be argumentative with you. there' was a cessna landed on the turnpike here in nj last year.....about 10 miles from where i work. it was a traffic reporting flight, and he was too low to glide to the airport that was only a few miles to his east.

how calm the kid stayed, is why i mentioned about having a good cfi. those guys are worth triple their weight in gold. easily. i think golfer would agree with me there.

the cfi i had seemed to be a jinx. it would seem that the plane i like to fly would be fine, till he got in it. then suddenly, it has engine failures, electrical system failures, instrument failures, etc.  :devil

but then again, that's why i landed with 0 problems one night with no electrics, and why gary and myself were able to calmly and easily(for the most part) get that partial engine failure back onto the runway without killing anyone or the airplane. and gary flew with the same cfi.

when you find one that really cares about flying, stick with him....... :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Cessna+makes+emergency+landing+Eastern+Townships+autoroute/4672169/story.html

here's a short article about it. he landed about 40 miles east of Montreal, 20 miles north of the Quebec/Vermont border. According to the article it happened mid afternoon on a Monday and traffic on that highway at that time and direction (outbound from Montreal) is pretty much nothing. The fields were and still are saturated with water as we have been getting a lot of rain for the past month.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
Also keep in mind that I'm pretty sure that landing was in Canada.  I don't know how the regulations there work, but I do know that in some parts of Alaska, they do routinely land on paved roads and it is even legal in some places.

Of course, this was on one of those 'somewhat reality' TV shows where an Alaskan flight instructor made the student do a touch-and-go on a highway.. but my point is that what they did may have been standard 'emergency procedure' for where they are.
its legal everywhere in Alaska. Pilots get trained for doing them and the drivers are taught about about them as well when they learn to drive.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 01:38:38 AM »
its legal everywhere in Alaska. Pilots get trained for doing them and the drivers are taught about about them as well when they learn to drive.

I've got 3400 hours with about 2500 of that in Alaska...never taught to land on a road and I can assure you there is nothing in the traffic code about airplanes landing on the road.  However, there is a road at Lake Hood that has a sign reminding automobile traffic that aircraft traffic has the right of way.

If you land on a city street just for giggles you better plan on the "authorities" talking to you, landing on a rural road won't be an issue unless  you create some kind of hazard.

Don't believe everything you read about Alaska...only about 95% of it is true.    :D
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"