Author Topic: War Against Das Deer  (Read 1905 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: War Against Das Deer
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2011, 10:26:39 AM »
I was driving up RT601 just peaking Mt. Weather (near that strange phone booth sized armored structure)  and a large group of deer walked out in front of my speeding 280zx turbo so I braked as they scattered.....all the same direction which was thankfully laterally to my direction of travel.

All except a huge buck who turned to face me for second before turning 90 degrees toward the rest of the fleeing herd and leisurely cantered off the road.....................just as the corner of my bumper barely grazed his back foot as he cleared my path with about as much force as a slap from an angry girlfriend.

Man that deer hit the afterburners like road runner and a couple of his strides were almost vertical leaps that looked to be over 10 feet high......the power of that buck was just insane.

A few weeks later, I was driving rt 638 (paved rural road) in front royal virginia and noticed something in my peripheral vision as I chugged a subaru wagon down the hilly road.

It was a huge buck and he was racing beside me and looking at me while I sat there going 30mph watching him run beside me when he suddenly put his head down and pounded the passenger door before stopping and striking a "I just kicked your bellybutton pose" as I drove off wondering how much the window glass and mirror was going to cost.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:39:47 AM by icepac »

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »
Where in the world did someone hide it down here?  Here is the big question does it have the parts you need?

It has all the parts and then some.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 07:30:04 AM »
no way thats worth $25k, when theres immaculate 280SLs unsold at $10k around at the moment.

I saw one over here last week - 1982, 60k miles, 5-speed manual (rare and desirable) red, tan leather £6k. it was practically concours condition ...

nice car though :aok an ex-girlfriend of mine used to drive a 380SLC, she was tiny so it looked hilarious seeing her drive around in that great boat of a car  :lol

Was the ex-girlfriends car a ( EURO ) ?????? Keep in mind that the V-8 engines were and are junk which is what the 380 came with.

Go to the N.A.D.A. site your self and punch in the info. Make sure you click the the Euro option though.

This is the 1978 450 SLC I located. This car is a EURO as well. I blue booked it @ $8500.00 the way it sits. I am picking it up for $2750.00

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 07:45:41 AM by Todd »
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »
yeah the 380 was rhd british registered.

I checked the NADA values and frankly they are nonsense, I dont know where they get the figures from but a quick look around the web shows several mint 280SLs and none of them are over $15k. even if they were correct, hoping for above the high retail price is ... optimistic.

put it this way, do you think its worth double the price of this http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/1982-euro-mercedes-280sl-4-speed/?

I'm not having a go at you here, its just that having owned a couple of classics I know what money pits they can be and I'd hate to see you spend more on repairing and restoring it than you'll get back. :)

edit: this is what a high retail classic should look like: http://timelessmotorclassics.com/82blue280SL.htm
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:12:29 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:45 AM »
This is how i control the deer population in my neck of the woods  :aok
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2011, 03:52:04 PM »
Saw a ton of elk on the last leg of my drive from Boston to the Phoenix area last week. If you hit one of those guys you're gonna have more to worry about than just your car. Those things hurt.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
Rust on the unibody, interior condition, and completeness determines a vintage mercedes value....as with most  cars.

You could have the most cherry 450sl ever but a rusted floor makes it worth little more than a few hundred dollars as a car and more as a parts car.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
didn't take wrong way rt, i will never sell it anyway

CO--The Bad Guys