Author Topic: "Fester's eyesore" =P AKA "Florida Cracker" P38L 475th FG - Revamp  (Read 4530 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: "Fester's eyesore" =P AKA "Florida Cracker" P38L 475th FG - Revamp
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 06:38:24 AM »
Your skin is also missing the 3-slot vents on top of each nacelle, just forward of the turbocharger unit (almost everybody's is) - its a small detail missing from most panel lines.  Also do you have real small details like the fastening screws for the small access panels on the upper wing surface, and other places too?

Here's a link to a pdf version of Fester's skinning tutorial.  He explains and shows the panel shading technique - even using the '38 as a photo subject.
http://www27.brinkster.com/tjlaven/ah/

You could also try desaturating and/or decreasing the opacity a tad on the noseart/kill flags - I think lack of detail caused by small size jumps out at you more when the image is sharp against the background.   Just something to play around with - its gotta be what looks right to you.  I do think the plane info text block below the kill board is too thick and dark though.

I've never like the default wheels on the '38.  Check out the wheels in the image below.  You might be able to grab it and use it.  The number of spokes is different (fewer) and I think its a cleaner look:

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
Re: "Florida Cracker" P38L 475th FG - Revamp
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »
Real quick response for ya Oboe =)
The screenies you included are actually my biggest panel reference. I tend to cross check with pictures of 38s I have, but the screens you have here are actually where I got a lot of panel lines from. Now that I think about it though, I do think I've missed some, and I wonder if I stopped due to time, and forgot to go back.
In terms of the Panel shading technique you linked to, I use a slightly different method, but I think that when I changed the opacities of the layers, I screwed something up. I'll go back in and look again.
As far as wheels go, believe it or not, mine are not the stock. =) I have to adjust them again anyway to get rid of that white/silver spot I accidently got on them though, so I'll revisit.

Also, check your PMs. =)
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 08:52:45 AM »
Thanks, man!  Very cool.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
Oboe what book is that picture you posted out of?
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »
I can't recall what book - something like Fighter Planes of WWII by Donald somebody.  Haven't had the book in a long time - sold it between my AH subscriptions.   Fool that I am!!!

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »
I can't recall what book - something like Fighter Planes of WWII by Donald somebody.  Haven't had the book in a long time - sold it between my AH subscriptions.   Fool that I am!!!

I have that book on my shelf here,  Fighters of World War 2 edited by David Donald (ISBN: 1-56799-684-1).  Ironically while it lists the P-38 in the table of contents, when you turn to the indicated page you get the Gloster Meteor instead, not sure if it's just my copy of a general problem with a number of the printings.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
I'd love to Plaz. The problem with the flags / kill marks is that they are literally 4 pixes by 7 pixels... so unless I make them larger, I haven't figured out a way to make them any more detailed. About the best I can do to "sharpen" them up would be to remove some of the red, and instead go with 6 or 4 lines (like a plus) instead of the sun rays I'm trying to fake currently. Any ideas I may be missing?
I've got a similar problem with the text for the noseart... the font itself is a very angular font, and doesn't lend itself well to lower resolution usage. I'm still working on the text though, but I haven't found anything that looks good, legible, AND invokes a similar feeling to the original text. =(

I'm no skinner but I think I read this tip somewhere, make the nose art and kill board big and detailed then shrink the whole thing down to the size you need.

That way, all your detailing gets shrunk down to the correct size instead of making it the correct size off the bat.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »
I have that book on my shelf here,  Fighters of World War 2 edited by David Donald (ISBN: 1-56799-684-1).  Ironically while it lists the P-38 in the table of contents, when you turn to the indicated page you get the Gloster Meteor instead, not sure if it's just my copy of a general problem with a number of the printings.

I think I have the same one. Big book, right? Table of contents on the dust jacket flap? Mine has the same page errors. I think it even lists a plane that's not in the book!

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »
hey Cactus great work man, u always find these wierd historical skins from some source lol, see ya up  :salute
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 06:54:18 AM »
hey Cactus great work man, u always find these wierd historical skins from some source lol, see ya up  :salute

I think your ball landed in the next fairway over, chief.   :cool:

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 09:45:52 AM »
I think your ball landed in the next fairway over, chief.   :cool:

:rofl

Knite

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2011, 01:40:07 AM »
Hey Knite, how is your skin coming along?
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
Hey Knite, how is your skin coming along?

Very slow Plazus. The Panel lines are getting an extensive overhaul (close to done), and I'm re-doing my bare metal finish again due to input I've recieved. Once those are done I should be able to start putting out some screenshots again. Real life's interrupted some so it's kind of made things a lot slower than I'd normally like, but I'm hoping to get a good chunk of work in this weekend.

Thanks a ton for showing interest =)
Knite