Author Topic: GV hell on earth. Listen up HTC.  (Read 4626 times)

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
Re: GV hell on earth. Listen up HTC.
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2011, 09:50:58 AM »

This is a constructive thread. First the positive: nice game.

NOW I"M GOING TO RIP YOU A NEW ONE BUT GOOD, THEN I"LL MISSTATE THE OPTIONS OFFERED... THEN I"LL REFER TO THE PRODUCT UPDATE AS SOME KIND OF FECAL LIQUID... BUT I SAID THIS WOULD BE POSITIVE UP FRONT SO DON"T FORGET THAT AS I RIP, RIP, RIP AWAY <SHINY OBJECT, LOOKAHERE>.

IN. This one's already well down the road to smurfyville.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2011, 10:14:26 AM »
Oh I do have one whine... the Wirble turret. You go from view to view and the gun moves but not the actual turret, you have to wait for it 'auto' align. Nice touch, Not.
All players being equally constrained by the actual rotation speed of the turret as it moves to whatever new view the player has aligned to is "Not" a nice touch?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:16:26 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »
Here is my experience with the new GV update in the LW Blue Arena earlier this past week:

Sortie 1: Spawned an M4 at an enemy base. Started up the engines. Put my GV into gear and started to move. Got one shotted by a spawn camper and was put in the tower.

Sortie 2: Immediately respawned again in the same GV. Two seconds pass by as I start my engines. I am one shotted again by another spawn camper before my engine completes its startup.

Quit GVing after that. Flying airplanes is much more satisfying for me than getting spawn camped.

How is that any different then before?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2011, 12:28:22 PM »
Not whining, but seriously button A and B, why not Stick A and B. Or something that allows you to select the object to manage the A and B turn controls. The buttons are not as responsive as moving a stick. Right? right. So why degrade the game to buttons (tanks in WWII were not button controlled). I am all for moving forward with the game but this type of change was more Nintendo and Xbox like.

How are the buttons not as responsive? If anything, Shift + S is more responsive to stop you with one click.

Oh I do have one whine... the Wirble turret. You go from view to view and the gun moves but not the actual turret, you have to wait for it 'auto' align. Nice touch, Not.

News flash: Use the joystick

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2011, 03:49:52 PM »
How are the buttons not as responsive? If anything, Shift + S is more responsive to stop you with one click.

Stop, yes, turns and slowing down, no. They are not as responsive because they allow one and only one level of input as opposed to a very broad range.

After all, you have only two (for auto trans) "buttons" governing the stop and go functions in your car, right? I mean, do you ever find yourself wanting to do something silly and useless like anything *other* than mashing the gas pedal to the floor, or mashing the brake pedal to the floor? Does a range of two possible inputs  - ON or OFF, STOP or GO - cover all your braking and accelerating needs? Or do you maybe once in a while find yourself wanting to apply a *little* brake or a *little* gas rather than locking the wheels or taking off like a bat out of hell? And that doesn't even get into steering. Would you want to replace the steering wheel in your car with two buttons?

(This is what's wrong with the "WW2 tanks had two 'buttons' for steering" meme. They weren't buttons, they were analog inputs just like a joystick, wheel, or pedal, and the driver had a huge range of options between "Pull back as hard as humanly possible and lock that track" and "Apply no control input at all".)

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
Stop, yes, turns and slowing down, no. They are not as responsive because they allow one and only one level of input as opposed to a very broad range.

After all, you have only two (for auto trans) "buttons" governing the stop and go functions in your car, right? I mean, do you ever find yourself wanting to do something silly and useless like anything *other* than mashing the gas pedal to the floor, or mashing the brake pedal to the floor? Does a range of two possible inputs  - ON or OFF, STOP or GO - cover all your braking and accelerating needs? Or do you maybe once in a while find yourself wanting to apply a *little* brake or a *little* gas rather than locking the wheels or taking off like a bat out of hell? And that doesn't even get into steering. Would you want to replace the steering wheel in your car with two buttons?

(This is what's wrong with the "WW2 tanks had two 'buttons' for steering" meme. They weren't buttons, they were analog inputs just like a joystick, wheel, or pedal, and the driver had a huge range of options between "Pull back as hard as humanly possible and lock that track" and "Apply no control input at all".)

also had 4-5 guys in the GV to do all of the things that needed doing at one time.   1 guy could never, ever have successfully driven a tank into combat and put up any kind of fight.   the new system represents a tank *crew*, the way it should be.    why is this so hard for people to understand?   if you need access to the basics, please refer to 123 Sesame Street.   thanks.
-AoM-

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »

also had 4-5 guys in the GV to do all of the things that needed doing at one time.   1 guy could never, ever have successfully driven a tank into combat and put up any kind of fight.   the new system represents a tank *crew*, the way it should be.    why is this so hard for people to understand?   if you need access to the basics, please refer to 123 Sesame Street.   thanks.

Amen and +1

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
Stop, yes, turns and slowing down, no.

Actually you do have analog turn control. It takes 2 secs for the wheel to turn, so tapping the key gives you what every wheel turn % you wish.

HiTech

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2011, 07:02:24 PM »
why is this so hard for people to understand? 

I don't know - why is it so hard for people to understand that every comment on some specific aspect of the new system is not a demand to put everything back the way it was?

Easier to just sling insults all over the forum than to take the trouble to actually read and understand what people are talking about, I guess...  :bhead

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Actually you do have analog turn control. It takes 2 secs for the wheel to turn, so tapping the key gives you what every wheel turn % you wish.

Tapping the key (or the hat switch since I mapped that) makes my GV wobble all over the place - there's a lot of slop in the steering that wasn't there before; it oversteers, then overcorrects, then bounces back and forth a few times before settling on the new course (like the drunk virtual CV helmsman does).

And varying the rate of tapping is not even remotely the same functionality as pushing the stick part way as opposed to all the way over and holding steady at that rate of turn.

Again, imagine if the steering in your car were a left button and a right button instead of a wheel, and to vary the turn rate you tapped the buttons at a different rate. Or an Atari 2600-style joystick, where the input for any direction was on/off. You would in no way feel that as remotely the same functionality as using a wheel. It would be a HUGE reduction in driveability - if you made all cars that way you'd probably have three times as many wrecks even after people had gotten used to it.

Please note: I am not calling the new GV system "hell" or demanding that it be changed back. Overall, I like the new system, I just think that some functionality has been lost that probably didn't have to be lost, and I disagree with the claim that that functionality has not been lost. If my posts here focus mostly on the few things I don't like about it, it's because, beyond the general statement that I like most of it, it isn't really necessary to discuss the parts I do like - they ain't broke, so there's no need to fix them.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »
Tapping the key (or the hat switch since I mapped that) makes my GV wobble all over the place - there's a lot of slop in the steering that wasn't there before; it oversteers, then overcorrects, then bounces back and forth a few times before settling on the new course (like the drunk virtual CV helmsman does).
I found that small tapps seemed to cancle out the oversteering.  I think its just a matter of developing the proper "touch"....like Midas or something.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline *PAPA*

• Zinc Member
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2011, 09:07:20 PM »

HiTech

THese details are great. Probably would have helped if there had been a more indepth faq for the new GV system when the update was released from the testers and developers.
All Your Base Belong to us.

Offline prowl3r

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2011, 09:29:38 PM »
um guys in case you forgot the analogue steering will be back in an upcoming patch along with a speedo and gear dsplay (hud i assume) so why are yall still argueing bout steering?
<S> hitech for hearing us and makeing accomodations and for the great update
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,312124.msg4040930.html#msg4040930
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:34:22 PM by prowl3r »
in peace sons bury thier fathers, in war fathers bury thier sons

Offline opposum

• Probation
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
THis is constructive. First the positive.  I do like the vehicle commanders view concept as it gives us more information about the status of our vehicle. The vehicle maneuvering controls are never gonna be precise enough without the analogue controls. The manual transmission was actually more "realistic" than the new "auto mode" and the manual gave us more control over the vehicle. Now the non perk tanks are put in a much bigger disadvantage without the zoom from the main gun as the perked tanks now have zoon, armor, and weapon advantage. You even added "fog" to the aiming devices of the weakest vehicles(m3 and m8).

There is enough "noise" in the game, and you have added the tank turret sounds on top of the rest which only adds to the fatique factor. You have only added more frustration and fatigue factors to your design. We have spent more money to upgrade our PCs to play this game which cost a lot more than one of the major consoles and you get your monthly fee out of our accounts before we even pay the light bill and you have dumped this crap into our laps. You have put the thought into your subscribers minds of having to consider if we should cut our losses and move on.

Go back thru what you have done and ask yourself does this add to the experience or does this just add to the bs a gamer has to put up with.

I back you 100%, well said  :aok

opposum
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline wappo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
My bigest problem with the new GVs is the mouse.
How to get rid of the mouse effect?
Rite now i keep the clip board up but that takes space.
I've tried to disable it = does not .

Also auto shift sucks.
Need to know what gear ur in and be able to select it.