Author Topic: Average data transfer quantity  (Read 286 times)

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
Average data transfer quantity
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
Now, I've had a look through the help forums but I can't find an answer to this question. I used to play Aces High back when I had unmetered internet access; now that I have a monthly access cap, how much data does Aces High transfer?

E.g. after you - yes, you - have been playing for an hour, how much data has Aces High downloaded? From what I remember it's very efficient, but I can't seem to find an answer. The films I still have from way back when are quite small. Presumably it would depend on how much is going on in the arena at the time, so it would be interesting to get answers from a number of different people (I surmise the bomber chaps transfer less data, because they stay far away from mass dogfights).

And are there ways to minimise data transfer? I would have "download skins" turned off; as far as I remember there's no way to disable voice transmission however. But again, I could be wrong.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Average data transfer quantity
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »
Disable voice by tuning to yourself on channel 5. That way nobody talks to you except on range (which you cannot disable).

I believe HTC has stated before this game will run comfortably on a dial up modem. The problem isn't badwidth as much as consistency. You don't want spiking or lost packets, etc...

I think the badwidth used depends entirely on what you do. Each plane in your view will have update positions and whatnot. The more action going on, the more bits are transferred, logically speaking. The more ammo you shoot, the more hits you make, kills you make, deaths you take, all add more bits I would think.

Best bet is to just time yourself. On your network connection check the bits sent/recvd. Game heavily in the MA for 1 hour. Go into fights with others (in a group). Log out. Check bits sent/recvd again, do the math.

It will give you a rough estimate.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
if monthly limits is what you are worried about AH uses very minimal data transfer.

If you played 50-100 hours in a month, I would guesstimate needing less than 1 gig data transfer per month.   

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »
Keep in mind if you plan on using a "Cellular" internet... 3g or 4g.. then your results may be very inconsistent.  While the technology is getting better every day, it still suffers from occasional lag and lost packets, neither of which Aces High likes very much.

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 04:05:36 PM »
if monthly limits is what you are worried about AH uses very minimal data transfer.

If you played 50-100 hours in a month, I would guesstimate needing less than 1 gig data transfer per month.  

That sounds reasonable - I was worried that I would shell out my hard-earned cash, fly around for forty minutes, and find that I've transferred half my remaining allowance for the month downloading skins (e.g.). I'm using a wireless>landline connection - I'm sitting right next to the router, though - and unlike some of the other British users in this forum I seem to have pretty good ping times. I remember your name; and your Tempest, hovering around. Good British plane that. EDIT: For reference I'm using Plusnet, and I get a ping to 206.16.60.39 of 122ms (using ping 206.16.60.39 in a command window).

Using XP I can click on the Network Connections icon and find out exactly how much I've transferred, although I understand that some wireless connections show packets rather than bytes. Has anyone been playing the game for the last hour, doing nothing much else than alt-tabbing out to look at the performance charts on the website and Gonzo's comparison tool? That's how I used to play. P-51B at 17K, almost uncatchable. Spray a few bullets at some bombers, hover around for the next half-hour until the bombers ditch, three kills, go home. But it would be interesting to get a metric just for comparison's sake.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 04:08:23 PM by Ashley Pomeroy »