Author Topic: Berets in the Army?  (Read 6513 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Berets in the Army?
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:33:08 AM »
Big Army stole it from the Rangers...I say we go to patrol caps full time :)

What do the rest of the Army guys think?
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Berets in the Army?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:08:41 AM »
Beret? That's a french word isn't it?  :devil

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:13 AM »
Big Army stole it from the Rangers...I say we go to patrol caps full time :)

What do the rest of the Army guys think?
Have you been under a rock? lol
Army switched to Black Berets as standard issue for all troops back in 01.
SF still has Green, AB- Maroon, Rangers- Tan

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »
I think you need to find other things to worry about.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »
Cavalry are going back to stetsons.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »
I'm glad I retired before those floppy hats became mandatory. Useless piece of clothing. At least a ball cap style headgear had a useful function. A beret makes as much sense as the old style garrison hat (pup tent hat) that had a very non pc nickname. It did have history on it's side though and was far easier to use when traveling in uniform than the saucer cap..
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »
Cavalry are going back to stetsons.
woot back to the cavalry for me  :salute

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:29:01 PM »
Hey Junky, how are things man?

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 12:53:41 PM »
Do u mean berets?

Or did you mean Barret?
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
Beret? That's a french word isn't it?  :devil

Berets are just a reason to join the Marines instead.

White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
Hate the Beret, I want my PC back full time.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
Army could go back to the Tricorn hats. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:28:25 PM »
Im with Junky. Going to the berret for all was classic 'we are all winners' crap. Just like soccer leagues in Massachusetts not keeping score so no one gets their cute little feelings hurt. So a US Army cook, who would be flipping burgers at IHOP in the civiliam world gets to tell stories like they did something for real. I spent years as an M60A3 then M1A1 tanker and don't deserve the black berret.

Dump the PC crap and get back to where it should be. Rangers get black berret, SF green, paratroop maroon and dump the tan stuff. All the rest of us get soft caps and boots. Nuff said!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:04 PM »
Im with Junky. Going to the berret for all was classic 'we are all winners' crap. Just like soccer leagues in Massachusetts not keeping score so no one gets their cute little feelings hurt. So a US Army cook, who would be flipping burgers at IHOP in the civiliam world gets to tell stories like they did something for real. I spent years as an M60A3 then M1A1 tanker and don't deserve the black berret.

Dump the PC crap and get back to where it should be. Rangers get black berret, SF green, paratroop maroon and dump the tan stuff. All the rest of us get soft caps and boots. Nuff said!

Boo

This.

I'm sorry, I don't really deserve a voice in this discussion as I never toted a rifle or jumped into danger, but I have family who did, and it was a muther-luvin "spit in our faces" moment for the Rangers when the black berets were taken away from them and given to every leg grunt, to make them feel better about being in the Army. What. The. Eff. By some leg POS General who spent his career behind a desk.

You non-hackers can say what you want about "berets" but the guys who earned them (Airborne, Rangers, SF) would love for you to laugh about their headgear.

:salute to the guys who earned the right to wear them, back when it meant something.....

Super 66, Mogadishu, Somalia, 1993.... My little brother is kneeling center with the M243 SAW
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Heretic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 08:37:11 AM »